PDA

View Full Version : Am I allowed to reply to someone in my own thread? Or is that "bumping?"

JosephMcBrosiph
August 23rd, 2015, 10:26 AM
I'm sorry if this is in the wrong spot but I was unsure if I could and I didn't want to do it before I knew for sure. I read all the rules and I read about bumping your own thread or whatever you call it. I didn't see, or missed a part about replying to people in threads.

Thanks for replying,
JosephMcBrosiph (Gage)

Lost in the Echo
August 23rd, 2015, 10:42 AM
You can reply to any post at any time in a thread you made, as long you do not consecutive post ( double post, triple post, etc ) which is why there is a "multi-quote" option.
However, if you were the last to post in your thread, and you were to bump it, that would be the only exception to the consecutive posting rule, but it is appreciated that you wait a reasonable amount of time ( let's say at least a few days ). However, if it is an absolute emergency it will be understood if you can't wait. It really just depends on the circumstance.

But short answer, yes, you can reply to your own thread even if it exceeds the two month bump limit.

JosephMcBrosiph
August 23rd, 2015, 04:45 PM
You can reply to any post at any time in a thread you made, as long you do not consecutive post ( double post, triple post, etc ) which is why there is a "multi-quote" option.
However, if you were the last to post in your thread, and you were to bump it, that would be the only exception to the consecutive posting rule, but it is appreciated that you wait a reasonable amount of time ( let's say at least a few days ). However, if it is an absolute emergency it will be understood if you can't wait. It really just depends on the circumstance.

But short answer, yes, you can reply to your own thread even if it exceeds the two month bump limit.

Thanks for replying Echo.

chetbonare
August 24th, 2015, 07:41 PM

Yes thank you for explaining that! I was worried I broke the two month rule when I replied to my really old post to show the results of the poll. Glad to know I didn't. :)

SethfromMI
August 24th, 2015, 10:16 PM
yes you can. just don't double post

impan1019
August 25th, 2015, 03:55 PM
thanks everyone... good to know, esp as i am new here to vt