PDA

View Full Version : Panic Attack?

Cognizant
August 15th, 2015, 02:37 AM
So on Monday evening/early tuesday morning, I discovered that a good friend I was worried about went and blocked me on everything. I had been pestering him a lot because he wasn't replying and I was scared that maybe I made him mad, and I guess I was right. I freaked out a little bit, but I was trying to stay calm. I tried going for a drive which normally helps, but depressing thoughts kept plaguing my brain. I was shaking like mad.

So then I pulled over and tried desperately trying to find someone to talk to. Keep in mind it was like 2:30AM and nobody was awake, not even my BFF was replying. THat's when I started to loose it. I started ranting to myself about how I'm worthless and I guess everyone hates me. I texted this guy I'm somewhat acquainted with, but he was about to go to bed. I explained the situation and asked him to stay up for like 5 minutes and talk to me. However, that made me feel extremely guilty, and then I started crying for the first time in months. Then I started having irrational thoughts and actions (I started going 55 on a 35mph boulevard hoping a cop would pull me over so I would have someone to talk to. Then I thought about purposefully crashing my car). I eventually calmed down when one of my friends replied and I explained to them what was going on, but I was a train wreck that evening. I didn't go to bed till like 4AM.

What would that situation be classified as though - does that fit the definition of a panic attack, nervous breakdown, or something else? Just curious more than anything but I might talk to a therapist about it since anxiety issues exist in my family.

Abhorrence
August 15th, 2015, 07:08 AM
I wouldn't define it as a panic attack. Nervous breakdown/emotional breakdown probably fits more there, or severe anxiety attack. Panic attacks are more when you just cannot function whatsoever, not even irrationally - well in my experience anyway. I think it was some form of breakdown definitely.

Cognizant
August 15th, 2015, 01:35 PM
I wouldn't define it as a panic attack. Nervous breakdown/emotional breakdown probably fits more there, or severe anxiety attack. Panic attacks are more when you just cannot function whatsoever, not even irrationally - well in my experience anyway. I think it was some form of breakdown definitely.

Ok, good to know

jennyem
August 18th, 2015, 08:21 AM
It's always good to keep perspective and realise how so many people go through this as well!

It's totallt normally and your anxiety attacks will pass!