PDA

View Full Version : Blocking people

SethfromMI
August 11th, 2015, 06:12 PM
I think it should be set up where if we block someone, it blocks them from viewing our profile and posts as well.

Gwen
August 11th, 2015, 08:55 PM
What reason? They are unable to contact you and they could just log out and view them anyway. Does someone viewing your profile worry you? You post knowingly that it will be shown to the public and whatever that person thinks of you their thoughts don't matter since they don't have a way of contacting you.

SethfromMI
August 11th, 2015, 08:59 PM
What reason? They are unable to contact you and they could just log out and view them anyway. Does someone viewing your profile worry you? You post knowingly that it will be shown to the public and whatever that person thinks of you their thoughts don't matter since they don't have a way of contacting you.

That is a fair point, but still, I just think there should be an option where if you are going to ignore someone, it prevents them from not only contacting you, but preventing from seeing your posts period. so if they are causing you problems and harassing you, it makes it that much harder for them to bother you.

besides, is the technology really that much harder? many sites do it that way

azure moonstone
August 11th, 2015, 09:02 PM
I don't see the reason for this.

Just because someone may want to block another member, that doesn't mean the feeling is mutual. That's highly unfair if someone actually does want to see the blocker's profile and posts.

As much as someone may not like or get along with someone else, they shouldn't be able to control them like that.

SethfromMI
August 11th, 2015, 09:10 PM
I don't see the reason for this.

Just because someone may want to block another member, that doesn't mean the feeling is mutual. That's highly unfair if someone actually does want to see the blocker's profile and posts.

As much as someone may not like or get along with someone else, they shouldn't be able to control them like that.

so by that same logic what your saying is if someone wants to see another post so they can harass them, they should be able to see their posts? well that cleared things up for me

it would work like Facebook or other sites. If it gets to a point where the person wants to ignore/block them, the other person should not get a say in the matter. but whatever. I don't own VT so it is not my choice anyways.

Gwen
August 11th, 2015, 09:29 PM
That is a fair point, but still, I just think there should be an option where if you are going to ignore someone, it prevents them from not only contacting you, but preventing from seeing your posts period. so if they are causing you problems and harassing you, it makes it that much harder for them to bother you.

besides, is the technology really that much harder? many sites do it that way

You ignored them, they shouldn't exist to you at this point. The internet is a place where you post knowing that people you hate, people who want to harm you, people who would use information to abuse you are here. They cannot contact you any further, if the staff simply told you that your posts were already hidden from them you would walk away being none the wiser.

azure moonstone
August 11th, 2015, 09:53 PM
so by that same logic what your saying is if someone wants to see another post so they can harass them, they should be able to see their posts? well that cleared things up for me

That's not what I said at all.

There are different reasons for blocking someone, and yes - one of them would be because you were feeling harassed. Another reason would be because you were annoyed by someone. It's also possible that you could have another reason for blocking someone.

In any case, that shouldn't stop someone else from seeing your posts if they want to. You make the decision to block someone else, and what you can see and not see. You do not have control of someone else's account.

If someone is harassing you and you block them, you can no longer see them harassing you. Maybe you should consider using the report button if you feel like you are being harassed. The staff does look at and address every report, and we take things like harassment seriously.