PDA

View Full Version : What is normal?

CmdrShep2183
August 9th, 2015, 02:35 PM
Psychiatrists and big pharma seemed to want half the U.S. population doped up on meds. So to them what is a normal human?

Do you think they are weird? What type of person becomes one? The nerd or the jock? Do they deserve their reputation as greedy pill pushers?

lliam
August 9th, 2015, 03:43 PM
No wonder, cause that's how pharma companies make money. But you easily can transfer this as a principle to everything in everyones life.

Normality is what most often repeats itself in our daily life.

or

It just depends on someones pov what is normal.

e.g.:

So it is normal that pharmaceutical companies define each people as sick just to sell nonsensical developed products.

So it is normal that devout Christians demonize everything that doesn't match their values.

So it is normal that a mass murderer kills many people (otherwise he would be no mass murderer).

So it is normal that a goverment want to have quite (good) citizens and therefore all those who disturb this peace are defined as notorious dissenter.

This list is endless.

So, I think that normality is arbitrary. And who claims I'm not normal, I show him, how I normally respond: with a farewell kick ass to backside of the moon.

Also I give a damn on the opinion of such people what possibly they may think about me..

Paraxiom
September 18th, 2015, 08:27 PM
I mostly think of normality as an abritrary thing that depends on persepctive, but in the context of psychology and sociology, most of the population lie in the 'middle' of whatever parameter you want to measure off, like psychopathic tendencies, height, weight, sociability, intelligence, etc. This distribution of the majority and minorities of people can be visualised with this:

http://www.regentsprep.org/regents/math/algtrig/ats2/normal67.gif

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_distribution (the 'normal' english version is very long and half jargon)

So in a sense, what normality is overall with psychological things and the like, is what percentages of society form the majorities and minorities with respect to certain things. Personally, I think companies generally want to sell, so I would not be surprised with pharmaceuticals saying we need more of their things. Medication is very important, especially so for the edges of the curve, but not everyone needs it at all. I know I brought some maths, and maybe too technical an explanation (maybe I should have answered another time than 2AM :/ ), but it might be a helpful idea.

Body odah Man
September 25th, 2015, 07:11 AM
No wonder, cause that's how pharma companies make money. But you easily can transfer this as a principle to everything in everyones life.

Normality is what most often repeats itself in our daily life.

or

It just depends on someones pov what is normal.

e.g.:

So it is normal that pharmaceutical companies define each people as sick just to sell nonsensical developed products.

So it is normal that devout Christians demonize everything that doesn't match their values.

So it is normal that a mass murderer kills many people (otherwise he would be no mass murderer).

So it is normal that a goverment want to have quite (good) citizens and therefore all those who disturb this peace are defined as notorious dissenter.

This list is endless.

So, I think that normality is arbitrary. And who claims I'm not normal, I show him, how I normally respond: with a farewell kick ass to backside of the moon.

Also I give a damn on the opinion of such people what possibly they may think about me..

Good one