PDA

View Full Version : Why are parents/adults/counselors/doctors not allowed to join

James Dean
August 9th, 2015, 03:11 AM

Quahog
August 9th, 2015, 03:17 AM
This is a good question, it has been brought up and asked before. No direct or logical reason was given.

Gwen
August 9th, 2015, 04:00 AM
"as senior staff its our job to protect and defend our members, were here for them, there safety and well being comes first
If you joined before you were 19 for instance I joined when I was 16 your a long time member, have friends here etc... then your allowed to stay, VT is a small place and there part of the fam

but we don't allow adults

This rule was created and inforced by our founding Admins over 3yrs ago

just to let you know" - Whisper an old Global Mod - 2007

"I don't want to have any part of the site that is meant for only adults where people over the age of 20 can join as new members. We have children on the site, it's a huge risk to allow that and I wouldn't want to oversee that happen. We already have a problem with camming and what not, I wouldn't want the age groups mixing." - ImCoolBeans Current Admin - 2014

Those are the two posts I could find regarding the subject in this exact forum. Hopefully this can help explain your question.

James Dean
August 9th, 2015, 04:06 AM
"as senior staff its our job to protect and defend our members, were here for them, there safety and well being comes first
If you joined before you were 19 for instance I joined when I was 16 your a long time member, have friends here etc... then your allowed to stay, VT is a small place and there part of the fam

but we don't allow adults

This rule was created and inforced by our founding Admins over 3yrs ago

just to let you know" - Whisper an old Global Mod - 2007

"I don't want to have any part of the site that is meant for only adults where people over the age of 20 can join as new members. We have children on the site, it's a huge risk to allow that and I wouldn't want to oversee that happen. We already have a problem with camming and what not, I wouldn't want the age groups mixing." - ImCoolBeans Current Admin - 2014

Those are the two posts I could find regarding the subject in this exact forum. Hopefully this can help explain your question.

So you're basically saying anyone who is an adult that wants to join here is a pedophile. Oh my lord. Smh.

NudistKid
August 9th, 2015, 04:10 AM
With the name been virtual teen it's for teens as the name suggests there's lots of other sites that adults can join if they want to so I agree that's it's a safer place not because all adults are pesos but because the people who join are around the same age as everyone else on the site

Lost in the Echo
August 9th, 2015, 04:13 AM
So you're basically saying anyone who is an adult that wants to join here is a pedophile. Oh my lord. Smh.

Well, there are a lot of sick fucks out there. Letting just anyone join opens up a gateway for pedophiles.

Also, teens know what other teens are going through, can probably give the best advice/support since everyone is going through a lot of the same things at the same time.

At least that's how I see it.

Gwen
August 9th, 2015, 04:15 AM

Recover, learn, and grow together. I don't have a strong opinion on this as I see the obvious dangers and benefits of allowing certain adults onto this site. I just also wanted to share the tagline of the website itself as it also provides motive or incentive against it. VirtualTeen is kind of Wonderland if you think about it :P
Most adults with malicious intent would simply lie about their age anyway. If adults were allowed to join, it would simply be to help others as there are many websites out there like this one that deal with adult problems but on the other hand we do not have a problem helping adults who have been here through teenage years. I dunno, only the admins can truly know the full reasoning.

James Dean
August 9th, 2015, 04:15 AM
With the name been virtual teen it's for teens as the name suggests there's lots of other sites that adults can join if they want to so I agree that's it's a safer place not because all adults are pesos but because the people who join are around the same age as everyone else on the site

I see what you mean I agree.

But that is the reason why I had my age hidden ever since I joined. Age is nothing but a number and you are right, other similar sites, (even those with teen in the website title), do allow people of all ages to join, except this one.

I'm very young looking, and I have peter pan syndrome. Only the admins know how I look like, but I could easily pass as way younger than I actually am. Like Brick from the middle.

I just wanted to know what this site had against people that are older.

Quahog
August 9th, 2015, 04:33 AM
I can only think of one instance to where a member here, and he actually was indeed a creeper. That was years and years ago. Way before the PM limit rule, and there were so many signs that we kept ignoring.

Having said that, with the PM limit, and VM's being monitored, there really is no reason for someone who is like that to be here or waste their time doing that here.

There are plenty of adults myself included, who deal with youths with mental illness, and other stuff. I work as a security guard in a juvenile high school here in the LA.

But I don't know, rules are rules.

ImCoolBeans
August 9th, 2015, 10:49 AM
This is a good question, it has been brought up and asked before. No direct or logical reason was given.

I wouldn't quite say that...

Because Virtual Teen is a support site. Not somewhere that claims to give professional help. When giving 'professional help' you can be held accountable for bad advice or malpractice when presenting yourself as medical professionals. As for adults, as someone who was a mod you should understand that mixing adults in with 13 year olds on topics about puberty and sex isn't a good idea.

This is a site for teenagers... some sites are for single mothers, others for gamers, others for artists... this one is for teenagers. If you want it to be a different site, sorry... We don't "have anything against" older people, we just don't want this site to turn into something ugly that could potentially be a legal issue.

Rayquaza
August 9th, 2015, 03:13 PM
Isn't it na´ve to assume that everyone that passes the initial age check at sign-up is a legitimate teenager? How would there be any way of verifying someones identity if they give a minimal amount of information on their profile. Surely if a child predator wanted to join so badly, they could easily anonymise their traffic, create a fake name, pretend that they're an age they're not, come up with a complete fake online persona and use this site to their advantage? It's a double edged sword. How would the staff be able to stop this from happening?

StoppingTime
August 9th, 2015, 03:21 PM
Isn't it na´ve to assume that everyone that passes the initial age check at sign-up is a legitimate teenager? How would there be any way of verifying someones identity if they give a minimal amount of information on their profile. Surely if a child predator wanted to join so badly, they could easily anonymise their traffic, create a fake name, pretend that they're an age they're not, come up with a complete fake online persona and use this site to their advantage? It's a double edged sword. How would the staff be able to stop this from happening?

Your whole point has nothing to do with this question. You know as well as I do that a simple age box at registration can't and won't stop everybody, so I'm not even sure why you bring it up. It's the internet, everyone can't be stopped and checked, that's inherent to virtually any site you've ever visited. If you'd like to keep talking about it feel free to PM me, but this isn't the thread for that question.

Regardless, this has nothing to do with the question, which was referring to why this site is targeted at and for teenagers only, rather than being a site for say, teens and adults to interact about what it is posted here. And Mike answered that question quite nicely, I don't have much else to add.

Pure Innocent Nun
August 9th, 2015, 04:56 PM
Your whole point has nothing to do with this question. You know as well as I do that a simple age box at registration can't and won't stop everybody, so I'm not even sure why you bring it up. It's the internet, everyone can't be stopped and checked, that's inherent to virtually any site you've ever visited. If you'd like to keep talking about it feel free to PM me, but this isn't the thread for that question.

Regardless, this has nothing to do with the question, which was referring to why this site is targeted at and for teenagers only, rather than being a site for say, teens and adults to interact about what it is posted here. And Mike answered that question quite nicely, I don't have much else to add.

It kinda does? It's literally pointing out a flaw with no-adult rule, which is what was being questioned in the first place. How does this not relate to the question?

If we're always having the no-adult rule is only going to draw in more pedophiles than any other help site. Because it's basically a feeding ground for them. That being said there's already plenty of people on this site now that would exploit certain threads like p101.

Rayquaza
August 9th, 2015, 05:02 PM
Your whole point has nothing to do with this question. You know as well as I do that a simple age box at registration can't and won't stop everybody, so I'm not even sure why you bring it up. It's the internet, everyone can't be stopped and checked, that's inherent to virtually any site you've ever visited.

Well, I just wanted to ask what your techniques are for allowing certain members in. I felt it related to the question because you can say "we only allow teens to join" but theres nothing to stop members outside the target audience from joining. My question extends further than the OP question. Say an adult did join, what happens next?

Also another question to add. What if there are some VT members that have been members for a long time that extend beyond, idk...25? Is there a cut off point?

xXl0sth0peXx
August 9th, 2015, 05:44 PM
Well, I just wanted to ask what your techniques are for allowing certain members in. I felt it related to the question because you can say "we only allow teens to join" but theres nothing to stop members outside the target audience from joining. My question extends further than the OP question. Say an adult did join, what happens next?

Also another question to add. What if there are some VT members that have been members for a long time that extend beyond, idk...25? Is there a cut off point?

If an adult did join, and they had their real age, we'd ban them. And if they lied, if/when we find out, we ban them. It's our policy, like Mike said.

And to answer your second question, officially, no. Have there been certain cases, taken up on an individual basis? Sure. To be totally honest, most users of that age grow out of a site designed for teens before they hit that, often but not always between 20 and 21, so it isn't really an issue for the most part. When it is, we as staff handle it individually. If you as a user see or come into contact with an older user (even any user, but in the context of this reply, we'll just say older) who you feel is acting inappropriately, let one of the admins know, and we'll take necessary action. You know we don't have ways to know, and that's just that. It's the internet, and it's the risk you take.

Frankly, I would not have joined had there been adults on the forum.. And if my parents could join? Forget about it. I liked the idea of being able to share my story, get help, etc without the presence of adults. It's so much easier doing this with 'peers'. Not having adults is what VT was created under, and if you think there should be, I'm sure there are other forums out there where you could seek help from adults. Again, how do we know if someone is 'a doctor' or something? We'd have people going around claiming one thing, and having people accepting posts as diagnoses. Basically, it boils down to why VT was made - and it was made by teens, for teens.. not for adults. There are other adult sites.

JusticeandMercy
August 10th, 2015, 10:37 PM
Honestly I'm kind of scared of adults and I'm glad this website is only for teens. Any adult that lies about their age to join this site most likely would have lied about it anyway; predators generally masquerade as the age of their target, regardless of whether the website has an age limit.

phuckphace
August 11th, 2015, 07:30 AM
you guys hear enough "BACK IN THE OLD DAYS..." from me already without literal baby boomers posting (shudders)

DerBear
August 11th, 2015, 02:22 PM
I feel the exact way as Val and Steven do.

Back when I signed up I felt somewhat comfortable knowing that no 'adult' so to speak was ever going to knowingly judge me. Now of course what I've posted adults can read --the site only has one private area for member use other than diaries and I feel that being able to not be judged by an adult is something that made me post.

Not many sites only allow teenagers to be members and okay, some have shifted above teenager age but they've got this site in context of what its supposed to be and most members move on from VT in their early 20s. Which isn't an issue because they understood the site in its context as teen which is important as they respect the dynamics of VT.

If someone was say 23 or 25 and visiting daily and posting a ton and the admins felt threatened by this person or felt that they need to leave as they're hurting the dynamic of VT then sure then can be asked to leave by the Admins.

Overall I think its a good idea that VT remains a site for teenagers only because you don't have many sites like this and I think that's what attracts a lot of members to stick around.

Elysium
August 12th, 2015, 08:38 AM
Off-topic posts have been deleted. If there are any issues, please take them up with senior staff members privately. I don't think this debate is going to go any further; our stance is not changing, nor will it ever. Besides, since it appears to have derailed by now, I think it's time to end this discussion. I'm sorry if you're unsatisfied with the answer, but it's final.