PDA

View Full Version : So. Sort of related...but more so to traveling?

hipster101
August 6th, 2015, 03:53 PM
I am a 19 year old male university student (going into second year) and I want to take a trip away from school after midterms are out. I've settled on Philly (I am on the East Coast of Canada). My flights are not booked, and I have searched and found a hotel 30 minutes outside the city that rents to people under the age of 21 (It was a really long search to find one...) and I am all ready to go for the most part, aside from booking everything.

My only issue/concern is U.S. Customs and Border Patrol. I hate confrontations and generally talking to people of authority I don't know...like I respect them and all...bu I am terrified of them. Anyway. How do I not seem suspicious...I will obviously have my return ticket ready to go and my hotel reservations confirmed. I will have enough clothing for the trip duration, and enough cash to last me the whole time. I will be carrying about 300 in American cash with me for a three day (Fly in on Friday, stay Saturday, Leave Sunday.) My visit is the duration it will be as a) I'm broke b) I have classes the upcoming week after the visit.

I will not be meeting anyone on the other side, for heaven's sake I am anxious about a brief encounter with a customs agent...Lord knows what I'd do if I were to be meeting and staying with anyone.

How do I not get pulled out for secondary? How do I make myself seem as less suspicious as possible? I'm not really hiding anything, though the circumstances of my visit (i.e. the duration) might warrant suspicion.

Might be worth noting: I have been to the U.S. before. I've traveled to New York with my family five years back as part of a family trip.

Saul Goodman
August 9th, 2015, 07:03 AM
The trick is to seem relaxed and acting normal. If you don't feel comfortable talking with the customs officers don't; answering their questions honestly and not saying anything else will usually be enough for them and won't make you look suspicious. Asking a general question like what the weather has been like again makes you look like any other tourist who is just excited for their holiday. Relax!