PDA

View Full Version : Addiction

SocialCasualtyReject
August 6th, 2015, 02:58 AM
I think I might be addicted to cutting...
When I first started I was sad and was hurting a lot...
Now it feels more like something I need to do..

Abhorrence
August 6th, 2015, 03:05 AM
It's entirely possible. The feeling given off by self-harming is almost euphoric as it released endorphins in the brain, I believe, as a result of dealing with injury. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's what it is. But, this feeling makes you want to feel it all the time and you feel like you cannot cope without this feeling you get from self-harming. It's a very difficult thing to recover from any form of addiction but it is possible with help and willpower. I'd suggest you speak to someone about your problem if you haven't already and they could find ways to help you. Here's a list of alternatives to self-harm http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/showthread.php?t=190748.
I hope you are okay.

Onlyfaith
August 6th, 2015, 04:37 AM
Try to find something else to do (listen music or draw or something like that) and try to stay clean! Clean and positive! Everything passes

SocialCasualtyReject
August 6th, 2015, 10:31 AM
Try to find something else to do (listen music or draw or something like that) and try to stay clean! Clean and positive! Everything passes
I've been trying that..

Doc. Maestro
August 8th, 2015, 06:25 AM
Like all addictions, you have to force yourself to stop. It won't be easy, and you'll have to keep cutting at first because you can't help it. I know because I had the same problem. I started cutting quite regularly, but was able to stop relatively quickly because I had support from VT.

Make sure you use the calendar, it helps you to keep track of your progress and shows you where to go to next. For example, go to day 3, 5, 10, 20, 25, 50, or whatever numbers you like to chose as landmarks. I'm almost at 50 days myself and it honestly really helps, and feel free to PM me (if you can and want to), I might take awhile to respond because I'm in Australia but I will almost always respond within 24 hours.

Anyway, good luck :)