PDA

View Full Version : Imaginary enemies?

TooSleepyToCare
August 4th, 2015, 04:07 AM
Hey guys,

You know how some people have imaginary friends that live inside their heads? Well, I think I have imaginary enemies. I swear people are out to get me. I become really reclusive towards all of my friends because I thought they were just pretending to be my friends and it was all part of some sick joke to hurt me. I stopped talking to my siblings and even online friends. Is there something wrong with me? I am literally too paranoid to even try to make new friends. It's really hard for me to even understand how I feel, let alone to try and explain to you, so I know I sound like an absolute maniac. Any suggestions or ideas?

blackwaterkeys
August 4th, 2015, 06:15 AM
I understand how you feel. I have actually felt the same way for a very long time and it affected me in many bad ways. I don't really have much to offer because I'm still trying to step out of this myself. But accepting the more logical part of my brain has helped me. Also talking to the people that I think are upset with me and clarifying my doubts 'clears the fog' to a great extent. The paranoia doesn't go away forever, it comes back and I have minor clashes with people quite often because of it, but one step at a time I suppose. I wanted to post mainly to let you know that you're not alone and that you're not a maniac.

Discomposure
August 9th, 2015, 04:13 PM
Hey,
We all have thoughts like this from time to time. It's good that you're talking about them. You should try talk your self out of the thoughts; for example if I thought somebody was doing something to embarrass me I'd break it down. What are they doing? Is there a reason other than the one I'm thinking? Would they do that if they are my friends etc. You'll find that you may quite often come to the conclusion that it's not what you were thinking and there are different explanations as to why someone is acting the way they are.
Do you engage in any talking therapies or have any friends or family that you feel you can trust and don't see them as enemies? Talking works wonders sometimes.
Paranoia is difficult to deal with. The fact you see it as a bit of a worry is kinda good in a way. Like you can see that maybe your thoughts are untrue. You're not at all a maniac! Like I said previously, we all have thoughts like these from time to time.
I'd try to rationalise with yourself when you're having these thoughts, break them down and go back to them and reconsider what you're thinking.

If you feel it's becoming a big problem - like you said stopping you making new friends etc I'd suggest some talking therapies. Give it a try they're very useful. And if nothing comes from that I'd suggest having a chat with your GP to try and figure out why you're getting so paranoid. GP's have access to lots of other services that may be able to help you. If you're going to decide to go to a GP or try some talking therapies I'd recommend keeping a diary of your thoughts and how paranoid they've made you feel - that way it will be easier to explain it to people.

I hope you're okay. If you want to talk just message me. I hope I've helped and sorry if not. I know paranoia can be awful.

TylerK
August 9th, 2015, 11:35 PM
I am not a therapist by any means, and I'm not great with words, but I just want to tell you that you need to make sure you have this problem under control. I'm not trying to scare you, but this is what leads to paranoia, which leads to a lot of stress. One of my Dad's closest friends died because of that paranoia which led to too much stress.