PDA

View Full Version : Update On The Chatroom?

Uranus
August 1st, 2015, 10:44 PM
Just curious about the process on the Chatroom. Any ideas when it will be back up?

xXl0sth0peXx
August 1st, 2015, 10:48 PM
Continental We're still working out what our best option is, and it's a lot of money, and by no means an easy decision. Hopefully within the next week or so we'll have something, but I don't want to guarantee anything.

Uranus
August 1st, 2015, 10:51 PM
Continental We're still working out what our best option is, and it's a lot of money, and by no means an easy decision. Hopefully within the next week or so we'll have something, but I don't want to guarantee anything.

Ok. Well hopefully it will be back soon :)

Vermilion
August 15th, 2015, 01:59 PM
Has there been any update ? Anything is appreciated Thanks :) tom.

wolf g
August 16th, 2015, 03:55 AM
i think we have chatroom it's will be good

DerBear
August 16th, 2015, 07:43 AM
Did the old chat subscription actually expire or is just taken off because of the issues with Google Chrome, as you can bypass the Google Chrome Java issue by changing a setting in Chrome.

luq_
August 22nd, 2015, 04:55 PM
It's nice being honest to yourself and admitting Java is just very shitty tool to use for chat. I do a lot of Java programming and it comes hard for me to say it, but it just doesn't work. Applets used to be "a thing" a long time ago, now they are just an annoyance.
Glad to see something changing for the better.
Not glad to see it takes so much time.

Human
September 3rd, 2015, 02:21 PM
If it costs money I'm sure we could put together a donation thing. I'd happily donate to vt.

luq_
September 26th, 2015, 10:11 AM
Okay, a few months for a chatroom isn't acceptable. You (or I) can make the simple, barebones one in less than an hour (e. g. like this (https://css-tricks.com/jquery-php-chat/)). In a few days, it can be upgraded to include all the basic stuff. Hell, even if you are super lazy and make it weeks, it still takes less time than this.
If you really don't feel like it, or can't find anyone to do it, there are plenty of free third-party alternatives to serve as a temporary room, e. g. Mibbit (https://www.mibbit.com/), Freenode (https://webchat.freenode.net/), SynIRC (https://www.synirc.net/).
It really shouldn't be that hard.

Uranus
September 26th, 2015, 11:23 AM
Okay, a few months for a chatroom isn't acceptable. You (or I) can make the simple, barebones one in less than an hour (e. g. like this (https://css-tricks.com/jquery-php-chat/)). In a few days, it can be upgraded to include all the basic stuff. Hell, even if you are super lazy and make it weeks, it still takes less time than this.
If you really don't feel like it, or can't find anyone to do it, there are plenty of free third-party alternatives to serve as a temporary room, e. g. Mibbit (https://www.mibbit.com/), Freenode (https://webchat.freenode.net/), SynIRC (https://www.synirc.net/).

And who do you think you are?
Dude, show some respect to the staff, they have priorities that are much more important than a chat room. They have lives to. They have college and school, work, probably even more than that and have very busy lives. And the last thing on their mind, would be a chat room. Keep in mind it costs money for this sort of thing which the admins take out of their own pockets. Yea, I'd like it to be back to, but I'm not gonna be disrespectful about it. Show some respect, you're not the one in charge.

Stronger
September 26th, 2015, 11:31 AM

Alternatives are not a good choice to use, because they, (I'd imagine) would be harder to moderate than what the former chatroom's system used. The staff also have a life just like you and me, have some patience. :)

lyhom
September 26th, 2015, 01:46 PM

who the fuck are you?

seriously, it's probably not as simple as "how do we set up a new chatroom", I believe the chat was paid for to get extra security or something, and I really doubt that anyone is going to listen to a member who can't even pm yet lmao

luq_
September 26th, 2015, 01:54 PM
And who do you think you are?
Dude, show some respect to the staff, they have priorities that are much more important than a chat room. They have lives to. They have college and school, work, probably even more than that and have very busy lives. And the last thing on their mind, would be a chat room. Keep in mind it costs money for this sort of thing which the admins take out of their own pockets. Yea, I'd like it to be back to, but I'm not gonna be disrespectful about it. Show some respect, you're not the one in charge.

Okay, I admit, I do overreact sometimes because I do programming myself. Chatroom isn't a complicated service. I've written an Android app with server backend in a month during the holidays (2-6h a day sufficed), counting 12k lines currently, still polishing out the details. But it's functional as it is currently. During school year, I've written a program to find optimal route using public transport (walking included), it works in under 0.1s (worst case) and it took me four days. It's far from perfect, but it's solid. Also many more (https://github.com/luq-0?tab=repositories) smaller programs or scripts which are irrelevant in the current context, because my point isn't bragging.

My point is, chatroom is a simple thing. I can write a very basic service and self-host it next weekend. It won't be integrated with the user system on the forum because I don't have the access to the data and even if I had I don't know how vBulletin or whichever engine is used works underneath. It won't have all the fancy moderation tools, probably only an option to have admins which can kick users. It will just work. If there weren't for school, I could have it finished today. I understand people are busy, I didn't expect it to come back after a few days or weeks. Almost three months though, it's a bit too much.

Alternatives are not a good choice to use, because they, (I'd imagine) would be harder to moderate than what the former chatroom's system used. The staff also have a life just like you and me, have some patience. :)

You're probably right, the biggest weakness would be that they probably can't be integrated with the user system existing on the forum.

I apologize if anyone got offended by my response. It's just that I've got used to expect the best and looking at this site as yet another product. A few months is a quite significant period when it comes to anything related to technology (just remember Ubuntu pushes a whole new version of an operating system every six months).

who the fuck are you?

seriously, it's probably not as simple as "how do we set up a new chatroom", I believe the chat was paid for to get extra security or something, and I really doubt that anyone is going to listen to a member who can't even pm yet lmao

No one forces you to listen to me. I was just expressing my opinion, which is that it takes way too long. Paying for extra security? Get a site-wide HTTPS certificate, problem solved. I can't think of a way to improve chat security much further, or a reason to. Even that could be an overkill. I mean, the previous version used a Java applet, and Java applets aren't really famous for their security, but exactly the opposite.

Posts merged. Next time, please use the "Edit" or "Multi" button. ~Elysium

ImCoolBeans
September 26th, 2015, 06:01 PM
It's my fault that the chatroom isn't up and running yet. I had a very busy summer, and after it ended I got even busier. VT is a full time job in itself, and sometimes when everyone is really busy we have to prioritize things, because we don't always have the time to knock off everything on the to-do list. Unfortunately the day-day stuff took priority over the chat, which was also not cheap to replace. We had to first find a number of suitable alternatives to our old, outdated chat, demo and test them, make sure we could properly integrate it, make sure it has all of the necessary moderation tools, things along those lines, and most importantly that it was better than what we had. It's not as simple as just writing a basic IRC chat client, we have standards that have to be met and security measures to take into consideration. I can say for sure that we will have a new chat room up and running hopefully in the next few weeks. I'm sorry that I can't give you an exact date, but we are working on getting it properly integrated and have hit some bumps along the road. I apologize personally and on behalf of the staff for how long this took/is taking. I do realize that it has been a long time coming and we did break promises that it would be taken care of quickly, but sometimes things come up in life and ruin your plans. "The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry" - John Steinbeck.

luq_
October 2nd, 2015, 02:35 PM
Yeah, I get it, (I'll use a less fancy quote) shit happens. Chat is obviously not a priority, and I could see that stuff was being done despite the busy days (e. g. like system). My biggest complaint is the lack of communication, just a simple "oops, this might take some time, but it'll be worth it" and "some stuff gone wrong, but we'll fix it, just bear with us for a moment or two" or "it might take a few weeks longer than expected, we're working to deliver our best" would've been great.
Nonetheless, looking forward to improvements, no matter how long they take.

wolf g
October 3rd, 2015, 05:04 AM
It's nice being honest to yourself and admitting Java is just very shitty tool to use for chat. I do a lot of Java programming and it comes hard for me to say it, but it just doesn't work. Applets used to be "a thing" a long time ago, now they are just an annoyance.
Glad to see something changing for the better.
Not glad to see it takes so much time.

i just want tell you something is true that you have free time to do a lot of things in 5 minutes ;but if i tell you work in Internet do your homework go to your high school take care of your brothers in the same time of curse you will gonna say "what the hell you think me. A robot?"
it's the same thing for the chat room and remember it's a responsibility they must take they time to do a chat room .
it's not easy like you think

Karkat
October 3rd, 2015, 07:49 AM
Yeah, I get it, (I'll use a less fancy quote) shit happens. Chat is obviously not a priority, and I could see that stuff was being done despite the busy days (e. g. like system). My biggest complaint is the lack of communication, just a simple "oops, this might take some time, but it'll be worth it" and "some stuff gone wrong, but we'll fix it, just bear with us for a moment or two" or "it might take a few weeks longer than expected, we're working to deliver our best" would've been great.
Nonetheless, looking forward to improvements, no matter how long they take.

Erm, the admins here are just regular kids with jobs and lives, and school even I think

They have lives, they're unpaid volunteers that actually dish out their own money not only to keep this site running but moderate it, as well as keep it working and SAFE.

That's no small task- even across three admins and a handful of global and sectional mods.

This site has quite a few users and is fairly complex. These guys aren't professionals who have taken years of schooling to know exactly how things work, so things don't always work out

They're also all under 21.

Like, you can't just walk into a mcdonalds in rush hour and ask for 50 mcdoubles, then get impatient when you can't get them immediately.

I'm just saying, you have to factor in the fact that they're just kids too.

phuckphace
October 3rd, 2015, 08:11 AM
I do kinda miss the chatroom but you gotta admit that Java-based shit was a total drag. I would seriously rather use one written in Flash and Flash is pretty disgusting. unfortunately, Java is used because it compiles and runs on literally anything, old and new.

Miserabilia
October 4th, 2015, 03:18 PM
I really hope the chat gets back soon... I fully understand the problems the staff have though! No pressure. When it gets back I'll enjoy it even more :)

kenoloor
October 15th, 2015, 10:30 PM
we used to have an unofficial irc channel, right? i remember that being sometime around 2011-2013, if i recall correctly. until there's an official flashchat/irc alternative, could people looking for a chat feature be redirected there?

Human
October 21st, 2015, 07:31 PM
we used to have an unofficial irc channel, right? i remember that being sometime around 2011-2013, if i recall correctly. until there's an official flashchat/irc alternative, could people looking for a chat feature be redirected there?

Sounds like a good idea, obviously it'd have to be moderated and stuff though, being separate from the main site might bring up problems for some reason

Uranus
October 21st, 2015, 08:43 PM
Sounds like a good idea, obviously it'd have to be moderated and stuff though, being separate from the main site might bring up problems for some reason

Same here, although moderation would still be a part as the previous chat room we had was already moderatedso the only difference that it's apart from VT directly and a little different than what we previously used

Noody
October 23rd, 2015, 06:23 AM
"The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry" - John Steinbeck.

English GCSE student detected! ;)

Thanks for the updates - It will be great to have a chat room that us Chrome users can use anyway, take your time! I'd rather it be good and take a while than it be medioka and take little time. :))

ily

KingdomHearts
October 23rd, 2015, 06:31 AM
Take your time guys :) We can be patient and survive without it for awhile longer until you're able to get everything up and running again :)

sensitivity
October 25th, 2015, 03:44 PM
Does a Skype chat sound like a bad idea?

Desuetude
October 25th, 2015, 05:02 PM
An extremely bad one. Can't be moderated and anyone can join regardless of if theyre a VT member or not. There are/have been multiple Skype groups of VT members that people have started up outside of the site though.

StoppingTom
October 25th, 2015, 08:32 PM

Yeah, because some people want that kind of contact information to be available to just anyone.

Gwen
October 26th, 2015, 07:42 AM
An extremely bad one. Can't be moderated and anyone can join regardless of if theyre a VT member or not. There are/have been multiple Skype groups of VT members that people have started up outside of the site though.

They don't usually have much longevity from my experience in quite a few of them either. I give them like 6ish~ months maximum.

I just want my days of lounging around chat room all day back :wub:

Typhlosion
November 2nd, 2015, 06:01 PM
Are you guys any closer? :)

It's been a long time since I frequent the chatrooms, and I imagine it to be a nice experience with all the members different from my more active times

Microcosm
November 3rd, 2015, 05:32 PM
I don't think it's coming back at this point. It's been months.

Desuetude
November 4th, 2015, 08:48 PM
I don't think it's coming back at this point. It's been months.
The old one isn't coming back, no, staff are trying to find a decent replacement that can be moderated and works with vBulletin. It's been a while but they all lead their own lives, give them a chance to make it happen, it'll be back eventually.

Uniquemind
November 5th, 2015, 02:34 AM
The old one isn't coming back, no, staff are trying to find a decent replacement that can be moderated and works with vBulletin. It's been a while but they all lead their own lives, give them a chance to make it happen, it'll be back eventually.

Does it have to be tied to the website? Like why isn't Skype used as a group chat to outsource the functionality of having a chat?

Moderators could be the same people or you could have specific moderators whose sole responsibility could be the live chat, and the moderators who focus on the forums here have less stress.

Gwen
November 5th, 2015, 02:38 AM
Does it have to be tied to the website? Like why isn't Skype used as a group chat to outsource the functionality of having a chat?

Moderators could be the same people or you could have specific moderators whose sole responsibility could be the live chat, and the moderators who focus on the forums here have less stress.

Because I want to use my VirtualTeen account to communicate with people on VirtualTeen not my Skype account?

Desuetude
November 5th, 2015, 11:49 AM

As said before, Skype has been used in the past for group chats that have been created outside of VT that have held 20-30 members. Thing about having a Skype chat for the whole site is that we'd have to add every single member that joins to this one chat, everyone would get the messages, it'd be complete shambles if you actually think about it. As well as the fact that absolutely anybody could add anyone else, and skype increases the risk of more people camming which is against VT rules and results in a ban (I think). Skype would never work.

You do realise that moderators don't just overlook what's happening. They have actual power to kick people out the chat, mute them, etc. In Skype you can't do any of that. I'm pretty sure we've had chat specific moderators on the site before but we don't really need them at the moment.

Just be patient, the staff do so much that we don't even see. They put in their time effort and money. VT is a non-profit site so the staff (who are ALREADY volunteering to maintain the forums and keep everything in check) are actually using their own money for the forums, baring in mind they're the same age as you and me. Just wait man, its kind of annoying that you're getting this worked up over something that's not that big a deal to the site as a whole.

Uniquemind
November 5th, 2015, 02:39 PM
As said before, Skype has been used in the past for group chats that have been created outside of VT that have held 20-30 members. Thing about having a Skype chat for the whole site is that we'd have to add every single member that joins to this one chat, everyone would get the messages, it'd be complete shambles if you actually think about it. As well as the fact that absolutely anybody could add anyone else, and skype increases the risk of more people camming which is against VT rules and results in a ban (I think). Skype would never work.

You do realise that moderators don't just overlook what's happening. They have actual power to kick people out the chat, mute them, etc. In Skype you can't do any of that. I'm pretty sure we've had chat specific moderators on the site before but we don't really need them at the moment.

Just be patient, the staff do so much that we don't even see. They put in their time effort and money. VT is a non-profit site so the staff (who are ALREADY volunteering to maintain the forums and keep everything in check) are actually using their own money for the forums, baring in mind they're the same age as you and me. Just wait man, its kind of annoying that you're getting this worked up over something that's not that big a deal to the site as a whole.

Sorry I'm not that worked up about it, didn't mean to come off that way.

This is the first and last time I asked about what was going on with chatroom issues/topic.

I don't hang out in this part of the forums much, so perhaps I'm ignorant to ongoing conversations about it.

Leaving now.

Gwen
November 7th, 2015, 11:21 AM

As bad as it was, I didn't realise how much I'd miss it now that I know it isn't coming back :( It's so sad it reminds me of Pluto all over again.

The Trendy Wolf
November 17th, 2015, 11:29 AM
I have been away from VT for the longest time... July 15th to be exact. That month ring any bells? Yeah... it was when all of this maintenance began. Now that I'm back, well... it's really depressing to not be able to communicate in a practical fashion. I realize writing this is no help to anyone, but I feel the need to say something about my situation.

I'm in support of a better, more ideal chat system, but at the same time, why could there be no temporary fix? All WE want is to talk, at least for a bit of relief from this wait. I understand that the admins would like one that is more functional and sound, as well as many of the users I suppose, but how does having a temporary chat system hinder this process in any significant way? Perhaps we need some moderators for it... sure. It's not like they're the ones working on the system to begin with. Unless there is some sort of interference that I'm not realizing would come about from a temporary system, I would truly appreciate this option being considered.

Bontigo Papi .
November 17th, 2015, 01:15 PM
VT had a chatroom? That was so cool. What's the problem implementing it again anyways?

Mars
November 17th, 2015, 03:17 PM
VT had a chatroom? That was so cool. What's the problem implementing it again anyways?
It takes time to put it up and find a good website for it (if they aint gonna use their previous one which idk what it was?), and staff dont have that much time

lyhom
November 17th, 2015, 04:14 PM
not to mention that the old chat was java based, so most browsers now wouldn't even display it

James Dean
November 18th, 2015, 01:00 AM

We did, but it ran on Java which for whatever reason doesn't work well with internet browsers anymore.

Bontigo Papi .
November 18th, 2015, 07:32 AM
Isn't there a chat add-on on vBullentin forums?

northy
December 27th, 2015, 04:39 PM
Isn't there a chat add-on on vBullentin forums?
There are loads:

E.g http://service.parachat.com/knowledgebase/158/How-can-I-integrate-ParaChat-with-vBulletin.html

Also, how about an IRC channel?

con99
December 27th, 2015, 11:50 PM
As a web developer, I'm more than happy to assist and volunteer to help. Let me know what I can do. :hug:

Endeavour
December 28th, 2015, 11:16 AM
Microcosm has changed his diary into a chatroom for us to use :)

See here:
http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=512