PDA

View Full Version : Not sure if this is self harming

Tesserax
July 31st, 2015, 11:32 AM
So I've stopped cutting, and I've been going strong for 42 days (today marks 43 YES!). However, I have recently started indulging in something much more unusual. In the shower, I love having the heat up, but I accidentally turned it up a little bit too much one day, and I started to feel this sting on my skin, but it didn't feel so bad, and in fact I kind of liked it. So ever since then, I've been sort of "burning" myself, but it isn't actually physically harming me, I just feel partial sensations of both pain and pleasure, and I'm sort of confused right now.

Wanted to know what you think of it, and if it is I think I'll try to stop, but otherwise it feels good and it seems to be good stress relief so I'll keep going until told otherwise, thanks guys :)

Abhorrence
July 31st, 2015, 12:21 PM
I, personally, don't think that it would be considered self harming. I mean, it could just be a preference. I have the shower extremely hot also just because I prefer it and I guess I feel the same sort of thing as you. However, if you are using this heat to purposefully feel the pain then I guess you could consider it self harming. It all depends on your own perspective of whether it is genuinely destructive to you or not.

Broken Toy
July 31st, 2015, 04:43 PM
That is self harm. Your body's core temperature (of the lungs and heart) is 37, but your skin temperature tends to be that of the environment. But it is only so flexible, about up to 38ish, because otherwise it will heat your core, which is dangerous. So if you have it on 45, you are causing harm to yourself, and if you get bored i dont want you burning yourself proper and shit, so stop it

Fiction
August 2nd, 2015, 09:18 AM
I used to do this a lot, and it was used as self-harm to me. However, going cold turkey not cutting is difficult, and if this helps you get through that, and not cut, then as long as you're not doing yourself damage I can't see how it's a bad thing.

In my eyes it's just like using the elastic band trick.

impan1019
September 6th, 2015, 06:13 PM
i think it might be self harm