PDA

View Full Version : Air Crash Investigation/Mayday/Air Disasters

DerBear
July 28th, 2015, 07:26 AM
Hey,

So does anyone watch a TV series that's called Air Crash Investigation/Mayday/Air Disasters - It varies depending on region. In Europe its called Air Crash Investigation, in Some regions its called Mayday and I think in the United States its called Air Disasters. Basically it follows a flight that's gone wrong, either its crashed or its had a fault that's forced an emergency landing of some degree.

Basically it reproduces the moments leading up the crash or it follows the events that unfold in flight deck. The show slightly varies depending on what's happening. If its a crash it generally gives a reenactment before the crash followed by the investigation team. If its an emergency landing or a crash landing then they'll follow the events in the flight deck which lead to the landing and then the investigation.

Sometimes they've done special episodes such as the landing on the Hudson river and more recently the disappearance of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370.

Its a really interesting program and it does educate you on how the structure and workings of a plane can go wrong but also how vital every component is to make these massive planes work.

So does anyone else watch these documentaries?

kissban
July 28th, 2015, 10:21 AM
I :)

Hudor
July 28th, 2015, 10:29 AM
I watch the show once in a while. It airs as Air Crash Investigations here. Most of the episodes I've seen were quite intriguing!

Let Me Be a Pony
July 28th, 2015, 03:00 PM
Yeah, I've seen it before. I find it interesting.

Saul Goodman
July 28th, 2015, 03:56 PM
Yup, it's probably one of the shows I find most interesting.

Microcosm
July 28th, 2015, 04:55 PM
I've never seen it, personally. It sounds pretty neat, though.

Plane And Simple
July 28th, 2015, 06:41 PM
Watched aaaaall of the episodes :P The acting of the pilots is quite bad and the switch the cockpits around a ton (they display a cockpit which doesn't exist or from a different airframe) but the investigation bit is what I like to see.

DerBear
August 1st, 2015, 07:24 AM
Watched aaaaall of the episodes :P The acting of the pilots is quite bad and the switch the cockpits around a ton (they display a cockpit which doesn't exist or from a different airframe) but the investigation bit is what I like to see.

I think the acting is kind of bad because they're trying to seem more true to life and not dramatic. Plus the acting isn't really what its all about, is it? I've still got some episodes to watch but I've loved every episode I've ever watched. Especially when there is a good outcome e.g. no deaths as it shows that exceptional pilots can overcome technical faults.

Plane And Simple
August 1st, 2015, 03:08 PM
I think the acting is kind of bad because they're trying to seem more true to life and not dramatic. Plus the acting isn't really what its all about, is it? I've still got some episodes to watch but I've loved every episode I've ever watched. Especially when there is a good outcome e.g. no deaths as it shows that exceptional pilots can overcome technical faults.

I feel it's the opposite of what you say. The phraseology tends to be pretty bad, the cockpit isn't correct, they don't keep calm at all, you know. I don't want to see any drama yet they still introduced some.

DerBear
August 1st, 2015, 08:25 PM
I feel it's the opposite of what you say. The phraseology tends to be pretty bad, the cockpit isn't correct, they don't keep calm at all, you know. I don't want to see any drama yet they still introduced some.

I think what they try to do is strike the balance between being a straight up factual documentary and introduce some degree of drama, not a lot but enough to appeal to a wider audience and engage with audience, to make them want to know what's going on.

I believe the phrases they use are actually extracts of what was said either by official reports or personal testimony/eye witness testimony from what I read online, so I think they try pick some hard hitting phrases or quotes to engage the audience.

I think they're actually going for the docudrama mix in the sense that the reenactments are dramatized in order to get people to engage with the program so it doesn't just appeal to a small audience of enthusiasts.

I also think the reason the cockpit isn't correct (I assume you mean layout and also comparison to plane type and model) is probably because they can't afford to perfectly reconstruct a cockpit to the exact specifications because its probably not entirely worth it for what in most episodes amount to around 30 seconds of actual recorded footage (not the amount of times it re-played) as you generally only see them in cockpit for around 30 seconds.

I find the acting okay because it in my opinion is engaging because when I first watched the series it was the reenactments that interested me. Okay I've always had some degree of interest in plane crashes, just natural 'Oh, why did that happen?' mentality but because they provided a reenactment and detailed diagrams and analysis of why it went wrong, explained in a simple format for anyone to understand and also had guests that were involved in the crash or investigation was what made me love the series.