PDA

View Full Version : How to handle anxiety at school

Globb
July 26th, 2015, 06:43 PM
As I've mentioned in one or two other posts, I'm going to public school for the first time in my life soon. I don't tend to get panic attacks nearly as much as I used to, but I'm still worried.
Firstly, how do I handle buses? Being in such a noisy, crowded place sounds pretty bad.
Secondly, what do I do if I have a panic attack at school? Do I just find a restroom or something to calm down in? Do I pretend to feel sick?
And thirdly, if any of you have anxiety, what is your best advice for handling anxiety at school?
Thanks

Let Me Be a Pony
July 26th, 2015, 09:51 PM
With the buses, it helps if you listen to music whilst you're inside one.
About panic attacks in school, drawing may help - something to get your mind off the given situation.
For me, drawing helped with anxiety. Paper airplanes helped in a way too. Be creative to lower the anxiety.
Also, deep and steady breaths help a lot too.

Abhorrence
July 26th, 2015, 11:28 PM
Buses just suck in general in my experience, I think that you should just attempt to block out the journey with headphones and your thoughts I guess. But try hard to not dwell on the other people in there with you because that can make your anxiety worse. If you have any general coping strategies then they can help too. I tend to rub my hands together or consistently bite down on nothing, which I do not recommend.

With school, if you have an anxiety attack or panic attack it can be really awkward if nobody knows about it so it is important to speak to every teacher that you have to inform them of this. Or even have a note written by a doctor or a parent to give you permission to leave if things get overwhelming. Unless the school is completely unreasonable they should allow for this to be acceptable. I used to have anxiety attacks very often around two/three years ago and I used to just leave the classroom and focus on my breathing because I couldn't do that with everyone's voices getting progressively louder around me.

Handling anxiety at school is the same as anywhere in public, find a coping strategy that isn't painful or harmful to you. Try to find people you are comfortable with to be around. I was lucky because when I started school I didn't have anxiety at all but it developed around a year in so by the time I was getting really bad I had people that could help me calm down.

Fiction
July 27th, 2015, 03:56 AM
One thing that helps me with anxiety attacks is using mindfulness techniques, it's basically just slow regulated breathing and keeping your mind clear which takes practice, but once you've learnt it you can do it anywhere.

There are loads of apps that help with this- one being headspace. These teach you the basics so you can employ the techniques when you're having an attack.

It might sound like rubbish but there's actually a huge emerging body of research supporting the use of this for almost all mental illnesses. Should be used with caution if you suffer from recurring traumatic memories however.

Globb
August 2nd, 2015, 08:27 PM
Thanks for all the advice :)