PDA

View Full Version : Da new Like button

Let Me Be a Pony
July 24th, 2015, 09:08 AM
I hope you guys add an upgrade to this feature, which permits you to place only a certain amount of likes a day, because it seems you can troll around pretty neatly with this button.
Was told if you get a like, you get notified. Imagine someone spam abusing all the posts he/she sees from a given user.

EDIT: Wrong section, sorry. Thought I was under the "Suggestions" section. Reported my thread to be moved.

Horatio Nelson
July 24th, 2015, 09:12 AM
TWPR :arrow: Suggestions

Typhlosion
July 24th, 2015, 09:54 AM
I don't think that should be a problem.

About the like button, it think that the colours, especially in the darker themes Dark Inferno and Black & Gold, do not look nice at all and the grey background makes things harder to read. Couldn't there just be a coloured border and the background colour being the same as the rest if the post? Also, that like button is disproportionate to the other buttons on the bottom-right corner.

xXl0sth0peXx
July 24th, 2015, 10:42 AM
We decided to not limit the number of likes for now. The hope is that this will be used maturely. However, as mentioned in the announcement, if you believe someone is abusing the system (liking every one of your posts, spam liking, trying to trade likes, etc) let myself, mike or Steven know and we'll deal with it.

But for now, hopefully we're mature enough to not need a limit.

About the like button, it think that the colours, especially in the darker themes Dark Inferno and Black & Gold, do not look nice at all and the grey background makes things harder to read. Couldn't there just be a coloured border and the background colour being the same as the rest if the post? Also, that like button is disproportionate to the other buttons on the bottom-right corner.

I disagree with you I think, the darker background overall makes it easier to read. I didn't have an issue with it, however we'll definitely keep this in mind, and see. The feedback is always welcomed. Also, yes the bottom is bigger. I wouldn't want it any smaller, or the other buttons any bigger. I think it's fine how it is, and easy to get to the button.

Meh Guy
July 24th, 2015, 06:47 PM
But for now, hopefully we're mature enough to not need a limit.

I'm assuming you would have to make it painfully obvious that you're spamming to get a warning/infractions? Because I don't want to accidentally get in trouble for like liking a bunch of say my friend's posts that I actually believe deserve a like.

Body odah Man
July 24th, 2015, 09:07 PM
I hope you guys add an upgrade to this feature, which permits you to place only a certain amount of likes a day, because it seems you can troll around pretty neatly with this button.
Was told if you get a like, you get notified. Imagine someone spam abusing all the posts he/she sees from a given user.

EDIT: Wrong section, sorry. Thought I was under the "Suggestions" section. Reported my thread to be moved.

I like it

xXl0sth0peXx
July 24th, 2015, 11:21 PM
I'm assuming you would have to make it painfully obvious that you're spamming to get a warning/infractions? Because I don't want to accidentally get in trouble for like liking a bunch of say my friend's posts that I actually believe deserve a like.

Yeah, and it's more obvious than you'd think for us to tell if it is obvious or not. Ideally, it shouldn't even be an issue, but it just has to really get put out there god forbid it does happen ya know. Basically, don't scroll through and like every single post in every single thread, if that makes sense.

lyhom
July 24th, 2015, 11:57 PM
honestly I'm just surprised that we now have a like feature, never thought it was gonna happen lmao

anyways I'm sure people won't overuse it here, don't worry

Deleted User
July 25th, 2015, 12:36 AM
Yeah, and it's more obvious than you'd think for us to tell if it is obvious or not. Ideally, it shouldn't even be an issue, but it just has to really get put out there god forbid it does happen ya know. Basically, don't scroll through and like every single post in every single thread, if that makes sense.

Is there any way to give users the option to turn off 'like' notifications because I just got one and I can already see it getting old fast and I'm only here like once a week as it is.

Or is there a way to toggle which notifications we get already? God, I've been here five years, modded, and I still don't know these things.

SethfromMI
July 25th, 2015, 08:07 AM

this is good to know because I was having some concerns myself. thanks for the clarification :)

xXl0sth0peXx
July 25th, 2015, 10:10 AM
Is there any way to give users the option to turn off 'like' notifications because I just got one and I can already see it getting old fast and I'm only here like once a week as it is.

Or is there a way to toggle which notifications we get already? God, I've been here five years, modded, and I still don't know these things.

I do not believe that is an option, sorry. :(

My best solution to you is to just click the notification to rid it and it's gone. You don't have to pay attention to who liked it or what post, just to toggle the notification. That's an interesting idea, but I'm fairly certain it isn't possible.

this is good to know because I was having some concerns myself. thanks for the clarification :)

Yup, anytime. And with that being said, if you (you plural in this case) are ever unsure, you can always ask if we think you're overdoing it. We won't bite your head off.. at least right away. :P

honestly I'm just surprised that we now have a like feature, never thought it was gonna happen lmao

anyways I'm sure people won't overuse it here, don't worry

After rep, and the way rep and the whole system went down, a break from any type of system was needed. It's just the fact. This system was a long time in the making, and we wanted to make sure it was something that wouldn't burn in flames the way rep did, and didn't want to rush towards anything. Hopefully, this is a happy medium.

Meh Guy
July 25th, 2015, 12:19 PM
xXl0sth0peXx

Is there any intention of adding it to the p101 sub forums in the future? I noticed in the announcement you said it is disabled for now.

xXl0sth0peXx
July 25th, 2015, 01:21 PM
xXl0sth0peXx

Is there any intention of adding it to the p101 sub forums in the future? I noticed in the announcement you said it is disabled for now.

For now, no. And to be honest, in the foreseeable feature, the answer's still no. There's a bunch of reasons I could rat off, but among others, figuring out who can like in what sections, and moderating that as well would be next to impossible, and a lot of work. Could it be considered? Of course.. But it just doesn't seem likely.

Deleted User
July 25th, 2015, 03:33 PM
I do not believe that is an option, sorry. :(

My best solution to you is to just click the notification to rid it and it's gone. You don't have to pay attention to who liked it or what post, just to toggle the notification. That's an interesting idea, but I'm fairly certain it isn't possible.

Damn, well, like I said I'm only on like once a week anyway so it's not like it's some earth-shattering crisis. :P Just wondered if that option was there. If not, I'll live.

kryptonite
July 25th, 2015, 10:31 PM

Assuming it were to be possible, I'd request a "You can turn it off, but then you can't go around clicking other 'like' buttons" rule.

In other words, if you turn it off, the thumb icon disappears. I think that's only fair.

ImCoolBeans
July 26th, 2015, 12:04 PM
Assuming it were to be possible, I'd request a "You can turn it off, but then you can't go around clicking other 'like' buttons" rule.

In other words, if you turn it off, the thumb icon disappears. I think that's only fair.

That is not possible, or would take a lot of difficult coding/editing to an addon that we did not create from scratch.

StoppingTime
July 27th, 2015, 10:38 PM

You're right, those colors were kinda hard to read, I changed them.

And yeah it's disproportionate, but that's because all the buttons on all the themes are different sizes, so to me it made more sense to unify the buttons then to make them all different sizes so they'd only kinda match the themes.

phuckphace
July 27th, 2015, 11:57 PM
I for one am rather disappointed with the lack of a karma meter like on le reddit

how am I supposed to show off all my upboats? :(

StoppingTime
July 28th, 2015, 11:42 AM
I for one am rather disappointed with the lack of a karma meter like on le reddit

how am I supposed to show off all my upboats? :(

We did that for that exact reason actually. Rep was destroyed because of the meter and number, so we decided to get rid of it with this mod.
I'm sure you'll find other ways to show off the updoots, ofc ;)

phuckphace
July 28th, 2015, 11:47 AM
you might take my rep and my karma meter, but you'll never take my postcount (fight me irl)

kryptonite
July 28th, 2015, 08:00 PM
We did that for that exact reason actually. Rep was destroyed because of the meter and number, so we decided to get rid of it with this mod.
I'm sure you'll find other ways to show off the updoots, ofc ;)

Yeah... when people start ganging up and especially with the ability to neg-rep anonymously... recipe for disaster, IMO.