PDA

View Full Version : Posting on old threads

hazelteen
July 19th, 2015, 08:29 AM
Hello, this is for anyone that can help me!
I'm new to vt and I'm finding the rules on bumping old posts a little confusing. So here are my questions...

If I accidentally do post on an old thread, how forgiving are the moderators? ( I really mean well!)

are the thread titles in Bold ones that I can post on or just popular? What does the bold text mean?

I know the two month rule for threads and posts but does it also apply to the clubs and groups? Can I not join or post on an old group?

Thanks for the help!:)

Let Me Be a Pony
July 19th, 2015, 10:19 AM
They're forgiving, don't worry. It ain't that bad. They'll probably tell you to watch out for the dates and that's pretty much it.

Threads in bold are threads that you haven't clicked yet.
Threads that you clicked get their bold text removed, but I think they do get bold again if they got new posts in them.

Welcome again. :)

Abhorrence
July 19th, 2015, 10:26 AM
You really don't get consequences if it's a mistake but repeating the same mistake over and over and over can get quite irritating to fix which could lead to a warning. But Glossary pretty much summed it up.

Meh Guy
July 19th, 2015, 10:45 AM
They're forgiving, don't worry. It ain't that bad. They'll probably tell you to watch out for the dates and that's pretty much it.

Threads in bold are threads that you haven't clicked yet.
Threads that you clicked get their bold text removed, but I think they do get bold again if they got new posts in them.

Welcome again. :)

This is true, the bolder title means the thread has new posts in it since you last viewed it. The 2 month bumping rule is just in place because after that amount of time (or even less in some cases) the threads purpose has been solved, or lost. Plus it would clutter up the front page. The groups, clubs, and member diaries are all fine, depending on the individual rules of the members diary or group. You aren't going to get a warning for bumping in a diary, unless you're doing it to annoy someone.

hazelteen
July 19th, 2015, 02:02 PM
Thanks so much, I understand much better now!

Uranus
July 19th, 2015, 02:32 PM
Hello, this is for anyone that can help me!
I'm new to vt and I'm finding the rules on bumping old posts a little confusing. So here are my questions...

If I accidentally do post on an old thread, how forgiving are the moderators? ( I really mean well!)

are the thread titles in Bold ones that I can post on or just popular? What does the bold text mean?

I know the two month rule for threads and posts but does it also apply to the clubs and groups? Can I not join or post on an old group?

Thanks for the help!:)

First off, welcome to VT :)
If you accidentally post on an older thread, the moderators are usually forgiving and understanding that mistakes do happen, and they usually just notify you/give you a simple warning which is nothing to worry about.
If you noticed you posted on an older thread you can just simply edit your post by going directly to it and click on the "Edit" button and say something, for example:

"Oops, didn't notice this was an older thread, please delete this post" or something similar just so the staff understand why your post is there.

The titles in bold are either new threads (Or not yet viewed by you individually, or, a thread which you may have already seen, but have new posts which you haven't seen. Faded thread titles are ones that, basically, are fully caught up with.

And by clubs/groups you mean social groups or diaries/member forums or all together? Either way, that rule does not apply. Hope this helped.

Elysium
July 19th, 2015, 08:55 PM
First off, welcome to VT :)
If you accidentally post on an older thread, the moderators are usually forgiving and understanding that mistakes do happen, and they usually just notify you/give you a simple warning which is nothing to worry about.
If you noticed you posted on an older thread you can just simply edit your post by going directly to it and click on the "Edit" button and say something, for example:

"Oops, didn't notice this was an older thread, please delete this post" or something similar just so the staff understand why your post is there.
Instead of editing (or in addition to it), please report it so that a moderator can actually see the post. If you leave it for us to find, there's no guarantee that we will and it might take us a while. Reporting your own posts/VMs/etc. won't get you in trouble. :P

Anyhow, personally, if I catch someone bumping a thread, I'll quote them (so that they're notified) and ask them to please not bump threads as well as lock the thread. I'll do a combination of locking/deleting bumps a total of four times before PMing an unofficial warning, which is the most minor warning you can get. Usually, people stop after that. I can't speak for every moderator's methods, though.