PDA

View Full Version : What's the policy on two similar threads in the same place?

kryptonite
July 17th, 2015, 10:13 PM
http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/showthread.php?t=223963
http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/showthread.php?t=160638&page=10

I'm sure one of them will be locked and moved to the other forum (which is a whole other thread by itself), but I'd certainly advocate the "merge" feature be used.

Karkat
July 18th, 2015, 01:41 AM
I personally don't see the need for merging. If someone makes a duplicate thread, it's just that- redundant.
If they have other ideas for the thread, imo they should just post them in said thread instead of trying to overthrow the other one.

Buuuut that's just my opinion here.

-Yes, there is policy against duplicate threads, and yes, the newer of the two tends to get locked.

However, I am not staff, nor have I ever been (because I'm an asshole who can't keep his mouth shut huehuehue), so keep in mind that anyone with a bolded and colored username, or the word "staff/moderator" in their signature has authority over me. Their answer trumps mine. (5,000 posts may seem like a lot, but it's not because I'm important, I just have no life.)

Elysium
July 18th, 2015, 07:44 AM
It depends. Sometimes they'll be merged, sometimes one will be locked. Personally, I'll lock when the newer thread has either far less replies or no replies at all and will merge in other cases. When you see things like this, you could report one thread or PM a staff member, though reporting is probably more effective.

Typhlosion
July 23rd, 2015, 07:30 PM
I only remember once merging a thread where three threads, talking about the same exact thing, were posted in different forums in a short amount of time. If one thread was significantly older than the other, just lock.

That's half-an-year-old+ information though, not sure nor part of moderation nowadays.

kryptonite
July 24th, 2015, 09:39 PM
Perhaps a standard set of rules would be a good thing? It seems like too often, things are left up to moderator discretion.

I do see the second thread was locked. (A curious choice, but whatever.)