PDA

View Full Version : Question about avatars.

Let Me Be a Pony
July 17th, 2015, 01:30 PM
A rule states this:

"Pictures of another person without you in the picture are not permitted to be set as avatars."

I've seen pictures of actors, singers, etc as avatars.
Can they be used?
If I change my avatar to a model for example, would that be permitted, even though I ain't in the picture?

Abhorrence
July 17th, 2015, 01:38 PM
It depends, if you explicitly say that the picture is not you then it should be fine. Impersonation is obviously against the rules. I think it would be best to have a person who is well known, just so others don't mistake you as your avatar.

everlong
July 17th, 2015, 01:47 PM
I hope nobody thinks I'm Woody

Let Me Be a Pony
July 17th, 2015, 01:50 PM
It depends, if you explicitly say that the picture is not you then it should be fine. Impersonation is obviously against the rules. I think it would be best to have a person who is well known, just so others don't mistake you as your avatar.

I'm aware that impersonation isn't permitted, it's stated right below that rule. :P
Thanks for the tip, Abhorrence - If I do change my avatar to an actor/model or something else, i'll state that ain't me, in case people confuse themselves.
EDIT: Alright, added a signature, stating that ain't me, just to be sure no one gets confused.

Living For Love
July 17th, 2015, 02:34 PM
You can have a picture of someone famous in the sense that you like or admire that person, but you cannot trick others into thinking you are that person.

azure moonstone
July 17th, 2015, 02:41 PM
Most celebrities are recognizable and will definitely show up in a photo search (not to mention the fact that we probably wouldn't believe that celebrity is actually posting on VT).

Like stated above, that rule is in place because of people who use pictures of others, accepting compliments of how great "they" look...and sticking those photos in albums titled "Just Me" (or something similar).

Using a celebrity photo is fine, as long as you aren't trying to pass off the under-contract (and all over the internet/tumblr) underwear model as yourself. If it's a lesser known celebrity, then you are better off stating upfront that the picture is not of you, because the staff does look into those things.

Let Me Be a Pony
July 17th, 2015, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the info, guys. I've added it in my signature and bio that it ain't me on my avatar(dayum, I wish!)