PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety attack

Fiction
July 16th, 2015, 09:17 PM
It's 3:15am here and I have to be up at 6:45am but I can't sleep because my anxiety is overwel img me so much andI have no idea how to deal with it.

My boyfriend was meant to driving from The airport to their home tomorrow, but after having had an accident myself a few weeks ago I decided I would go on the train to get him.

I have been anxious about him flying back but now I'm also nervous about the train journey and being in the airport etc- I keep worrying there will be an attack of some kind or something.

I have no idea how to deal with this. I feel like my only option is to never leave the house but that's when you run into real problems.

How do I relieve my anxiety right now and tomorrow morning as well as in the long term? I can't carry on like this :(

Abhorrence
July 17th, 2015, 11:45 AM
Sorry for not seeing this sooner, I hope you are alright and everything went okay. I don't know if you have already done so but have you spoken to a professional?

Brellen
July 23rd, 2015, 11:38 PM
Hey so I know this is late but one way I would try to control my anxiety is to have a friend or someone you trust to call. When you are traveling or feel an attack coming on, call your friend and talk about happy memories or anything to help calm down. You could also seek professional help to find personalized strategies to combat stress and anxiety. Hope this helps!

Fiction
July 25th, 2015, 09:48 AM
Sorry for the late reply guys,

I've never sought help for my anxiety, but my previous experience of the mental health system just totally puts me off. My boyfriend keeps telling me I need to go, but I really don't want too, but then I want too at th same time.

When I've previously been in therapy( and I'm not just talking trying it once, I've had it on 3 separate referrals), it'd made m feel worse not better, and all the progress I've managed to make has been with the help of the people around me, not my therapist! I'm also scared that since I'll be in adult services this time if I was referred, they'd just fob me off with medication. In one respect- anything that will help, in the other respect it's really quite scary to think of medication that will alter my brain.

I also have the added complication of the fact that in only a couple of months I will be applying for courses to become a CBT therapist myself, and I'm not sure if they'll ask me abou my own mental health history and whether this would be a black mark, at least with all my previous issues I can tell them that they're in the past and no longer relevant.

Brellen
July 25th, 2015, 10:47 PM
Hey yea so I totally understand how you feel when it comes to seeking help with a counselor or therapist, it can be very frustrating. I was given a metaphor by my old therapist after I told her about my trouble finding a good one, "Finding a good therapist is like fitting shoes, you gotta keep trying new ones till you find the one that fits just right". So don't give up! Not all therapist are trained the same. As with taking meds, once you find a therapist or counselor that works, explain to them your concerns with taking medications. You don't have to take anything you don't want to.