PDA

View Full Version : WALL-E is a ripoff.

Let Me Be a Pony
July 14th, 2015, 07:00 PM
Yep. IT IS, Disney fans. Don't be surprised, it ain't the first Disney ripoff you've seen, i'm sure.

In general, i'm talking about the actual character, not the movie.
Now, take a look at Number Five from the movie Short Circuit(1986).

This is Number Five:
http://i.imgur.com/CQ77L9I.jpg?1
http://i.imgur.com/uGf7lk1.jpg

Compare with WALL-E.
Don't spoil the sequel and prequel of Short Circuit, please. Haven't watched them yet.

About the story of the character, the robot gets electrocuted and it begins to feel emotion, similar emotions that are portrayed by WALL-E. I Think Number Five is a far bad ass robot than WALL-E. It has a laser beam, a parachute, etc. It's a military robot with emotions. WALL-E is a robot, which its main purpose is to recycle the trash of humanity.
I do like the movie WALL-E better though, simply because it captures the emotional aspect quite better than Short Circuit.

The whole "emotional robots" thing was far before the 21 century.
Disney just managed to bring it back with a successful movie, since there weren't many good movies in the 21 century that were aimed towards the emotionality of AI.
There are a lot of very good old movies aimed towards AI emotions.
Trend is getting back with new movies like Chappie.
Big Hero 6 sucked. I'd rather watch Automata all over again than BSF(it's bad for those who don't).

SethfromMI
July 14th, 2015, 07:15 PM
I have heard of that movie and when I saw it, I thought the same thing

James Dean
July 15th, 2015, 06:08 AM
Yup pretty much. Isn't the only time Disney has stolen the same plot from an earlier movie.

Bugs life copied a Woody Allen and Jennifer Lopez movie released a little earlier called Antz.

Monsters Inc. copied a Howie Mandel movie called Little Monsters.

Toy Story copied a Muppets TV Movie called The Christmas Toys.

lol.

Pat the Bunny
July 15th, 2015, 06:45 AM
Big Six Five?

Let Me Be a Pony
July 15th, 2015, 07:10 AM
Big Six Five?

God damn it, it was 03 AM here when I wrote that post.
Big Hero 6.*

Blame insomnia, bro. :C

Yup pretty much. Isn't the only time Disney has stolen the same plot from an earlier movie.

Bugs life copied a Woody Allen and Jennifer Lopez movie released a little earlier called Antz.

lol.

Geez, I got a lot of movies to watch now.
I remember Duck Tales had a few episodes that were very similar to some of The Twilight Zone(the original series), though the episodes were more children friendly and less mind fucked.

Renata_cmp
July 19th, 2015, 08:06 PM
So yeah we can say Disney is evil and they are fucking up our children's mind with evil illuminati shit blah blah its so trendy to hate on Disney, it's not even funny anymore. Wall-E is Pixar btw, they belongs to Disney but release their movies with their names on the cover. Big Hero 6 is Disney.

But seriously; Inspiration and Homage are not Ripoffs. This is inspired by Number 5, the movie Starchaser is a ripoff of Star wars. But understand that nothing is made from scratch. Star Wars is inspired by countless stories and movies, like Benhur, Hamlet, and so on and so forth. Batman was inspired by Zorro, lots of Star Tre stuff was inspired by 2001 a space odissey and so on and so forth.

jessie3
July 23rd, 2015, 03:27 AM
Either way both are good movies but i still prefer Wall-E

Let Me Be a Pony
July 25th, 2015, 04:32 PM
So yeah we can say Disney is evil and they are fucking up our children's mind with evil illuminati shit blah blah its so trendy to hate on Disney, it's not even funny anymore. Wall-E is Pixar btw, they belongs to Disney but release their movies with their names on the cover.

http://i.imgur.com/W8hUDws.jpg

Sir, I will just pretend that I don't know that Disney produced Wall-E, alongside the help of Pixar. Let's just ignore that Disney is in this picture, please.
You got to admit now that i'm so trendy. Rate my trendy criticism, please.

But seriously; Inspiration and Homage are not Ripoffs. This is inspired by Number 5, the movie Starchaser is a ripoff of Star wars. But understand that nothing is made from scratch. Star Wars is inspired by countless stories and movies, like Benhur, Hamlet, and so on and so forth. Batman was inspired by Zorro, lots of Star Tre stuff was inspired by 2001 a space odissey and so on and so forth.

Did you even read my post? I said that the character looks like a ripoff to Number Five, not that the movie(Wall-E) is a ripoff. Huge fucking sigh. A character does not make a movie, please.

Definition of the word "ripoff" - Something, such as a film or story, that is clearly imitative of or based on something else.

Add some improvements, some drawbacks to the character to make it special in its own design, so it doesn't fit that word. Note that I was talking about the structure of the robots, not their emotionality(although they're very similar in that aspect too).

Drewboyy
July 29th, 2015, 10:19 AM
Thats interesting, I've never heard of the movie. Should I watch it?

GrossKahn
July 29th, 2015, 02:51 PM
Maybe Disney will produce fanfictions, so no one can say it is a rip-off

Let Me Be a Pony
July 29th, 2015, 03:33 PM
Thats interesting, I've never heard of the movie. Should I watch it?

It's good for wasting time I guess. I haven't finished watching it, since it was 2+ hours if I remember correctly.
I don't know if I'll go back to it, since I have a general idea on what the end might be.

davdev17
August 12th, 2015, 05:55 AM
I don't care if Disney makes movies that are copies. Most of my favorite movies are Disney.

Gwen
August 12th, 2015, 06:06 AM

lol.

Well with Antz and Bug Life they were released within the same year (1998), if Disney had pushed 'Bug Life' to come out before 'Antz' would we be saying that Woody Allen is stealing from Disney? They would both have had a long time in development it seems a bit disingenuous to say that movies released during the same year are copies of one another. I've seen both 'Little Monsters' and 'Monsters Inc.' and I can see the idea being the same but the execution, plot and messages are different, 'Little Monsters' was about growing up from pulling pranks on others. 'Monsters Inc.' didn't have Boo, Mike and Sulley going into other people's houses to mess with them for fun... I have not watched 'The Christmas Toys' so I cannot comment on it and will just take your words for it as I'm sure Disney isn't as clean as they act. 'The Lion King' is a complete ripoff of 'Kimba the White Lion' which is also a well known one.

davdev17
August 12th, 2015, 06:16 AM

lol.

Bugs Life production started before Antz and Antz came out right before. Antz copied Bugs life. Dreamwork's copied Bugs life back then and The Wild more recently with one of it's most successful movies Madagascar.

There are so many movies that were copies. The Matrix copied a comic book. Terminator copied a bunch of movies. The Fast and the Furious, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Avatar, The Shining, The Hunger Games, Inception, Star Wars, E.T., and Black Swan, are all apparently "copies".

Ratman1234
August 15th, 2015, 04:52 PM
But still...wall-e was a great movie which is one of the highlights from disney