PDA

View Full Version : What about electric cars ?

Pilyk
July 14th, 2015, 05:21 AM
I was with friends for the weekend and they had a full electric CitroŽn car they were very satisfied with (very economic and convenient). We had a trip in it and I thought that kind of car was really great. It is charging when going downhill and automatic gearbox-ed !
What is your mind about electric car ?
Do you believe electric and hybrid cars will developpe further more in the next years ?
Would you like to have such a car, or do you prefer "traditionnal" cars ?
What kind of car do you or your parent have at the moment, diesel, gasoline, hybrid, electric ?
And do you believe it is ecologically a good thing, or that the batteries and the power plants that do produce electricity are not really better than the greenhouse gas any other vehicle produces ?

Daniella98
July 14th, 2015, 09:18 AM
I think its great electric cars are being developed and of course its good for the ecology, if the supporting electricity is provided by green power. (Wind, water or sun)
Over the last years Ive noticed an increase in number of the Tesla. It turns my head everytime.

However Im into supercars too. And Im only happy there are new hybrids on the marked. They are cool.
But Im into gasoline powered fast cars like Porsche and Ferrari.

Our family car is a sapphire blue Jaguar XF

Jaffe
July 14th, 2015, 09:43 AM
I like electric cars. My mom has a hybrid and she really likes it. But for the kind of driving she does, an all-electric would work just as well. I think one of the problems is that they are still so expensive. Plus, here in USA, there are not many places to charge it yet. And people that live in apartments especially, would have no way to charge it.

I'm not really into cars at all, and totally into the environment, so electric seems the way to go. Actually, biking seems the best way, but Americans - and most ppl in the world, I guess - are not going to give up their cars. So electric seems like a good second alternative.

Myself, I take the Metro (public trans) whenever I can. It just makes more sense.

Dune
July 16th, 2015, 02:36 PM
I think these small electric cars are pretty cool and economical, and in the US we will mostly likely see an increase in electric vehicles in urban communities, if only we had them. There are very few car vendors that sell electric cars here, so I don't think we will be seeing many people switching from diesel to batteries outside of the city. However, I can't quite put my finger on whether to believe the hype to electric. sometimes studies are pretty BS, bogus, or funded by people in the energy industry with an agenda.

A hybrid would be cool to own, maybe an electric when the technology is more mature and longer distances can be achieved at an affordable price.

Infidelitas
July 17th, 2015, 01:14 AM
I will be for electric cars when:

1) They can get the power the same as a petrol engine;
2) They can go the same distances on battery as the petrol engine can on petrol;
3) Charging times are the same as filling up a petrol car;
4) They are priced the same as a petrol car.

ATOMICskittles
July 17th, 2015, 04:57 AM
I was with friends for the weekend and they had a full electric CitroŽn car they were very satisfied with (very economic and convenient). We had a trip in it and I thought that kind of car was really great. It is charging when going downhill and automatic gearbox-ed !
What is your mind about electric car ?
Do you believe electric and hybrid cars will developpe further more in the next years ?
Would you like to have such a car, or do you prefer "traditionnal" cars ?
What kind of car do you or your parent have at the moment, diesel, gasoline, hybrid, electric ?
And do you believe it is ecologically a good thing, or that the batteries and the power plants that do produce electricity are not really better than the greenhouse gas any other vehicle produces ?

Definitely electric cars have and will advance in the future. Tesla/Elon Musk (CEO of Tesla Motors) has proven that electric cars can perform as well as, or in many cases out-perform, comparable vehicles. The Tesla Model S P85D has really proven the capabilities of an electric vehicle through its nearly unparalleled performance and range of up to around 240 miles. Through the Tesla Model S, the world has seen the capabilities of electric vehicles, sparking Tesla Motors to develop a newer, cheaper model that will rival the C-Class of Mercedes and to develop a crossover SUV that I think rivals the current Ford Explorer due to its dimensions. This is a market that will undeniably advance and become mainstream so much that other car manufacturers have taken steps to create electric/hybrid versions of their vehicles, an example I can think of is the Ford Fusion Hybrid and Engeri (yes its spelled that way). The electric market is still changing and advancing. I love the work of Tesla Motors but I still have a never ending desire for gasoline cars in all their might. its hard to beat the sound os a biturbo or supercharged V8 or just the sound of a V6. For large families (5+), the merge to electric is somewhat hard due to the fact that the need for a large vehicle is required as my parents have 2 SUVs, a full-size body-on-frame Ford Expedition and a full-size crossover-SUV Ford Explorer both of which are gas vehicles. On the topic of power plants producing more electricity for electric cars as more people buy them, not that large of an issue. Economically not everyone is going to have an electric car solely due to pricing. In addition theres an increase in the use of green energy and solar installations in homes over the past decade. Plus, Tesla has their supercharger program of car charging stations across America that are super fast for charging and run solely on solar energy. It would be more benefical for there to be less greenhouse cars on the road and using the power grid than the other way around.

Sorry for long reply. :)

DriveAlive
July 17th, 2015, 05:30 AM
I think that electric cars will eventually replace gas ones, but I will hate it. I love my V8 cars and don't want to give that up.

Cognizant
July 18th, 2015, 03:54 PM
I used to have a Nissan LEAF as my daily driver. It was a great car, it just didn't meet my transportation needs... I drive up to 800 miles in a week, and the limited range plus the long time it takes to charge the car on 240v made it unfeasible for me to use it for more than just commuting to school and back, maybe down to the mall on the weekends.

Now if I had the top of the line model with the quick charging, and/or maybe a better freeway cruising range that's almost comparable to that of a conventional car, then I would've opt to keep it. But that's the caviat.... the good electric cars with optimal charging times and adequate range have price tags that only the upper-middle class or richies could afford. However, I think by the year 2025-2030, electric cars will be a very viable and affordable option in 1st world countries. But for right now, I'm completely content with returning the Nissan leaf and picking up my Camry.

hazelteen
July 22nd, 2015, 11:48 AM
The are so good for the enviroment(or at least so much better than burning fossil fuels with petrol.

My prediction is that by the time I learn to drive, (I'm 13)there will be more electric pumps AND more people will use them.

As they're more environmentally friendly, I think that the government will try to make them cheaper to buy and charge.

Anyway, I'm all up for them.

the idea of driverless cars though.... I guess that would be a little creepy in my opinion.... What do any of you guys think about driverless cars? [/COLOR]

Uranus
July 24th, 2015, 09:08 AM
-cries out in laughter-
fuck that lol
no way am I switching from real power to a bigger matchbox toy car. No way

Body odah Man
July 24th, 2015, 10:08 AM
I will be for electric cars when:

1) They can get the power the same as a petrol engine;
2) They can go the same distances on battery as the petrol engine can on petrol;
3) Charging times are the same as filling up a petrol car;
4) They are priced the same as a petrol car.

Agreed. Kinda like how everyone wants to eat organic, but it's twice as expensive (or more) as regular.

liptonlee
July 26th, 2015, 01:51 PM
I want a citroen survolt...

Broken Toy
July 27th, 2015, 07:29 AM
Electric cars really arent all that good. Theyre usually charged by being plugged in and that energy comes from burning things, its just in a different place

Let Me Be a Pony
July 28th, 2015, 03:57 PM
I'd prefer a car that runs on canola oil(there are cars that run on that).

GrossKahn
July 29th, 2015, 10:47 AM
Well, i would like to have an electric car. Silent and and good for the environment. Only refilling is a problem. They have a small charge and power stations are rare in germany. And i dont wanna strand somewhere on the highway

Drewboyy
July 29th, 2015, 02:11 PM
The best possible scenario economically is if scientists perfect a way of making cars useful without gasoline,oil, or electricity because it still harms the environment. Not only economically but also it will cut down war. My parents have gasoline cars.

lliam
July 30th, 2015, 03:47 AM
I guess, for now and the next 15 years hybrid cars are probably the best solution.

GrossKahn
July 30th, 2015, 06:44 AM
I guess, for now and the next 15 years hybrid cars are probably the best solution.

Seems too, we're running outta' oil

Just waitin' for WWIII

lliam
July 30th, 2015, 12:55 PM
In my opinion oil has been unnecessary refined for cars already. If this resource is becoming scarce, it's chance for more rapid developments of new transport systems. Excluding nowadays car-traffic, i hope.

phuckphace
July 31st, 2015, 10:02 AM
why drive a car that pollutes the atmosphere when you could drive a car that pollutes landfills with hugeass toxic batteries and a crapton of electrical scrap

matt_tgr
August 9th, 2015, 04:18 PM
Ok so to answer your question "what about electric cars", all i have to say is nope. nopenopenopeNOPE. GOD NO! JUST NO!
I'm a petrolhead, I love the way the gas smells, i love the roaring V8s and screaming V12, and I hate hybrids (except for the P1 and 918, obviously, because the main point of electric batteries in these cars is to provide you with more POWERRRR AND SPEEEED!). I could go on a week long rant about this issue that faces us, the next generation.

But all in short: only about 30% of CO2 is emitted by cars, so screw green peace and their stupid beliefs that petrol cars are harmful to the planet. Those retarded morons should handcuff themselves to the chimneys of megafactories, instead of fricking busses!
So yeah... Then there are electric "cars", like fucking Renault twizzy or whatever that piece of hit is called. It looks ugly, it costs way too much, and, frankly, you'll be better off with a broom if you ever start thinking about your dignity. They're slow, that's a fact (except, of course, for all the Teslas that cost a fortune), and you won't get far with that electric power. Recharging R&D still has a looooong way to go. And the most important bit. It's fucking more harmful to produce an electric car and all its batteries, than to buy a petrol car and run it for billions of years (exaggeration).

I'm gonna stop here, because in my mind, electric cars have so many flaws, the first being, it's electric. I mean come on, what nerd wants to drive an electric car?! Ok i'm gonna stop now.

What i'm trying to say here, I love petrol powered cars, ad it will never change. I love the roar all the sports cars produce, and I would never in my life buy an electric car over an IC unit. Ever.
Yes, oil is gonna run out eventually, but until then, fuck you, electric cars.

P.S. sorry about the rant, but hey, it could've been much longer than that!

tovaris
August 16th, 2015, 12:07 PM
Wel about eletric cars...
Tey dont hawe enouth range... i mean just 100km on one filling and than 4 hours to recharge...
i drive from Ljubljana to Belgrade in 6,5 h with an e car it would take me a whole day...
so no, for the next 10 years ecars will have to develop stilll

mikielikesit
August 16th, 2015, 01:35 PM
I love the Tesla's and the new Porsche 918 is mostly eletric