It exists only to fade away,
Like the sun in the sky,
It rises only to set at the end of the day

What is the meaning of our lives?
Our lives have meaning,
Within the heart they lie,
In those we chose, to closely hold,
Within our hearts 'till we die

Edit: Context: I was sitting in a sort of lecture thing, and I realised that the question is flawed. Life is too general, too much of a summary. Life is just the word used to describe the miracle of, well, life, and in the bigger view of things, considering life as a whole, single thing, there will come a day where all life in the Universe ceases to exist, where all the efforts of man, animals, and perhaps aliens will no longer bear meaning, will have no point. But our lives encompass a much smaller time. Our lives are but a small span of time, on average about 70-80 years out of the billions that have existed and will exist. And though in the future, all life will eventually amount to nothing, in this very moment, the lives we live affect and have meaning to those who live around us, and that's what's important; the lives of Now.

(Written at 2:30 AM in the morning after a long day and not much sleep the day before, please be forgiving if I haven't explained myself properly :) )

Microcosm
July 9th, 2015, 08:04 PM
I think our lives are important because we are the standard, the scale, the observers, and the judgement of the entire universe. As far as we know, we are the only intelligent beings in the entire known reality with a sense of right and wrong. So, we are the standard of what is right and what is wrong.

Of course, I'm sure you could think of a million other ways that our collective existence actually matters and is important.

Great poem. It's intriguing and inspires ideas about our existence. :)

Tesserax
July 9th, 2015, 09:35 PM
I think our lives are important because we are the standard, the scale, the observers, and the judgement of the entire universe. As far as we know, we are the only intelligent beings in the entire known reality with a sense of right and wrong. So, we are the standard of what is right and what is wrong.

Of course, I'm sure you could think of a million other ways that our collective existence actually matters and is important.

Great poem. It's intriguing and inspires ideas about our existence. :)

Essentially, I've come to realise that in however many billion years, all life in the universe will cease to exist. This is I believe the second law of Thermodynamics: The heat death of the universe. Eventually, everything we have built towards, anything has built towards, will cease to exist and nothing will have ever mattered.

However, that's looking at the grand scale of things, but going down, and zooming in to focus on what's happening now, everything else goes out of focus and our LIVES that we live have reason again. LIFE overall is the big view, but our lives now, are what truly matter.