PDA

View Full Version : Why do i not get addicted?

Broken Toy
July 5th, 2015, 08:30 PM
Yeah so i self harmed for a while, like sometimes i would just because i liked it, so that is a huge indicator of an addictive personality, but i dont get addicted to anything else.

I go out drinking with friends, and i actually know a friend who is a diagnosed alcoholic, but i only drink when and what i want to, like i didnt drink yesterday even though i was offered.

I smoke sometimes because most of my friends do, like they always offer me a couple off, or going halfies, and i never feel like i want a fag, i just do sometimes when i feel like it.

Is there some reason im not addicted to things a person normally will be?

brambox
July 6th, 2015, 01:02 PM
You might be somewhat genetically resistant to addiction.

Babs
July 6th, 2015, 09:27 PM
Some people get addicted to some things more easily than others.
Frankly, I wouldn't question it. I'd just be happy that I can get drunk without worrying about alcoholism.

Rayquaza
July 8th, 2015, 09:26 PM
Yeah so i self harmed for a while, like sometimes i would just because i liked it, so that is a huge indicator of an addictive personality, but i dont get addicted to anything else.

I go out drinking with friends, and i actually know a friend who is a diagnosed alcoholic, but i only drink when and what i want to, like i didnt drink yesterday even though i was offered.

I smoke sometimes because most of my friends do, like they always offer me a couple off, or going halfies, and i never feel like i want a fag, i just do sometimes when i feel like it.

Is there some reason im not addicted to things a person normally will be?

The self harm thing doesn't indicate anything, either you become addicted from the feelings associated with self-harming or you don't. The whole addictive personality from my view as a psych student is bs. I'd never blame anything on an addictive personality because it doesn't make sense considering everyone has the same biological reward mechanism.

It's down to individual differences on some other part though. There isn't really much of a reason as to why you're not addicted, because I'm actually in the same boat as you. I have an alcoholic father, and genetically all of his fathers have had a history of alcohol abuse. But I don't. I like to get drunk only for the reason of getting drunk when I go out, but I never drink for the sake of having a drink. I don't like to drink anything alcoholic unless I specifically plan on getting wrecked that night (this is probably so bad of me saying this lmao, don't do what I'm doing). But yes, I should have an alcohol problem but I don't. I make sure I give my liver enough recovery time and I've never wanted to drink because of the taste or anything. I've pegged my reason on because I waited until I was 18 and decided to make decision with all my knowledge I had accumulated. All I could really say is, maybe that's the same for you? Perhaps you're incredibly aware of all the risks and you have that level of maturity to make more adult decisions? I would definitely say that just because people get addicted to something easily doesn't mean it has to apply to everyone. Feel grateful that you do not feel any dependency on alcohol, cigarettes or self-harm...yet. And the reason I'm saying that is because there is always a chance of an addiction developing if you're having positive feelings commonly associated with the behaviour/substance regularly.

Human
July 13th, 2015, 08:35 PM
It's hard to get addicted to alcohol because you probably have no reason to abuse it
In the case of cigarettes it's a similar thing, fair enough you are only offered them occasionally but I guarantee you if you go out and buy a packet by yourself and smoke them on a regular basis you will form an addiction

SethfromMI
July 13th, 2015, 09:20 PM
some people have a much easier time consuming alcohol without worrying about an addiction. alcoholism can run in my family which is why my dad doesn't drink nor do I

DerBear
July 16th, 2015, 07:09 PM
From the sounds of it you're not addicted because you don't do it often or regular enough. To become an alcoholic, unless you've got a very addictive personality does take a considerable amount of consumption. Same with cigarettes, if you don't do it often then you've got significantly less chance of becoming addicted.

Just because you do something that you can become addicted too doesn't mean you will. I wouldn't push your luck though.