PDA

View Full Version : Chat and the lack of Java

Silicate Wielder
July 3rd, 2015, 12:19 AM
So, knowing the chat is down for maintenance, and the mobile chat going down recently, I can't help but wonder if we may be getting a new chat that doesn't require java for our users on PC

what's the status on it? Not all of our users are tech savvy and are willing to tinker with their browsers to just use the chat, especially with not knowing if java will remain supported next time the web browser updates.

From the looks of it Java is pretty much becoming obsolete for use in web applications anyway so I don't see the pont in the continued use of a chat using the technology; especially if the chat costs money to keep running.

Abhorrence
July 3rd, 2015, 05:19 AM
I agree with this tbh, I've been unable to use the chat because of Java software completely messing me about and then Chrome stopped supporting it anyways. Well I agree that we should not use Java anymore, it literally confuses me so much to get it to work and I'm not exactly an idiot when it comes to technology.

ellie2000
July 3rd, 2015, 08:33 AM
I use firefox and I get a missing plugin message, but when I look in my apps I actually have it. Any ideas from anyone?

ImCoolBeans
July 3rd, 2015, 01:32 PM
We're currently looking into other chat options because of the recent Java updates, which have made using our chat difficult. We want chat to be something that everyone can enjoy and use easily.

everlong
July 4th, 2015, 09:35 PM
I hope a chat alternative can work, I'm too used to Chrome to switch to Firefox to use Java.