PDA

View Full Version : Plato's Republic

Judean Zealot
June 27th, 2015, 05:16 PM
Does anybody want to form some sort of study group for the book?

It's a great introduction to Western Philosophy, and holds many lessons on government, family, and education which are still as applicable now as they were then.

Microcosm
June 27th, 2015, 10:37 PM
I've thought about reading this book. I'd be interested in something like that, probably.

Horatio Nelson
June 27th, 2015, 11:03 PM
I think it would be super interesting to read. I don't know how good I'd be at doing a study group, but I really would like to read this in my free time.

Judean Zealot
June 27th, 2015, 11:46 PM
You can get it for free on Kindle. :)

So, should I work on putting something together?

CosmicNoodle
June 28th, 2015, 12:10 AM
I think it would be super interesting to read. I don't know how good I'd be at doing a study group, but I really would like to read this in my free time.

I've read it before, back when I was a 14 year old retard who thought of himself as some sort of superior intellectual, it's an interesting read, but you really do have to be into philosophy otherwise it can be somewhat of an uphill struggle to get into, I tried to re-read it a few months back and found myself uninterested.

You can get it for free on Kindle. :)

So, should I work on putting something together?

You could try, but groups of the such /never/ last long, for one thing people have to read the book, 99% of the general population are uninterested in reading it, even less actually will, and even less again are interested in a group for it.

But that said you seem to have drummed up some enthusiasm for it, how far you'd get is another question. There is a way (I am not aware how) to set up groups, similar in function to Facebook pages you can set up on here for people to follow.