PDA

View Full Version : Program In Schools

recovered
June 25th, 2015, 02:12 PM
Hey guys. So I'm thinking about going to my school board about putting a program into place that helps educate teachers, counselors, peer helpers, and students about how to react properly to self harm and how to help. I would like to know that if this was in place, would you actually use it, what would the program need, do you have one already at your school, and what would you like other people to know about self harm and cutting. Thank you so much for your help and I hope to establish a program like this first in my school and then my state.

ok so revised version:
I want the program to have student mentors who have overcome self harm because most kids or teens don't feel comfortable "coming out" to a teacher or administrator. It scares them. My friends told a teacher about me without my consent and I felt like I was in trouble and was being forced into everything, including going to the hospital. I was shamed into feeling ashamed about what I did when I should have felt proud that I overcame it. I want to use this program to break the stigma that surrounds self harm. I had two of my "friends" tell me they wouldn't be friends with me because they couldn't be associated with anything goth or emo. I am neither. I am participating in pageants later this year. But I just feel like self harm doesn't get talked about enough. It doesn't get the attention it needs. Self harmers are a growing statistic in this country and we have a bad rep. Nobody knows how to "deal" with us as one of my parents so kindly said. The program would help educate others on who we really are and that we are not our cuts or scars or burns or scratches. Please tell me what you want out of a program like this. Or what would you put into place?

Jaffe
June 25th, 2015, 02:32 PM
To use a program like that at school, I would have to KNOW, beyond doubt, that it was all confidential. The last thing I would want, would be for the general populace to find one more thing to use to make my life miserable.

If it were a general education program, that would be different. But if it required that a person "come out" as a self-harmer, even to a teacher, then no way.

recovered
June 25th, 2015, 02:46 PM
The program would most definitely not require someone to share that with anyone. What I want it to do is to have a support system in place if anybody chose to share that and ask for help. Would that be something that you could see someone using?

The37thElement
June 25th, 2015, 05:58 PM
While this is a great idea, it may not get passed by your school board. If I were you, I would learn how to respond to people who are self-harming and make yourself a resource. I have never self-harmed personally, but I think it's best for people to learn that they're not alone and that millions of teens have self-harmed. Good luck with your project, and feel free to contact me if you'd like more input.

Doc. Maestro
June 26th, 2015, 10:55 AM
I would say it should be like a group session or something, where it's compulsory as to not force those who have harmed to reveal if they do not wish to.