PDA

View Full Version : I've never been in a car.

Unlucky
June 23rd, 2015, 08:22 PM
My family has never owned a vehicle.
I find that a most people have cars, and although I haven't met someone who hasn't, I'm sure there are others out there.
I mean, that's part of the reason buses and cabs exist, right?

So, do any of you know/are someone who didn't have a car growing up?

SethfromMI
June 23rd, 2015, 08:26 PM
well I know a lot of people in New York City don't own one? if the public transportation is good enough then you don't need one. Here in Michigan, it is hard to live most places without owning one

Unlucky
June 23rd, 2015, 08:34 PM
well I know a lot of people in New York City don't own one? if the public transportation is good enough then you don't need one. Here in Michigan, it is hard to live most places without owning one

I don't live in a very big town, about 30-something-thousand people here.
Most people can get around by just walking.
The only problem is you have no way out of town, so most people here own a car for that reason.

SethfromMI
June 23rd, 2015, 08:38 PM
I don't live in a very big town, about 30-something-thousand people here.
Most people can get around by just walking.
The only problem is you have no way out of town, so most people here own a car for that reason.

well I guess if you or your family never had to really leave town then it still makes sense

Jaffe
June 23rd, 2015, 09:00 PM
Growing up, yeah, I knew a lot of people without cars. Our family included, a lot of that time. (in Buenos Aires and New York City). But here in LA, everybody has one. They don't need them, because there is decent public trans here (though nothing like either NYC or BA). But people here LIKE having a car, and they love to drive everywhere, even if it would be faster to take public trans.

Myself, I'm definitely an no-car-if-I-have-that-option kind of person. But then, I've always lived in big cities and usually near the center of the city, so that makes it easier.

Leon03
July 4th, 2015, 11:05 AM
I know families that dont own a car too.
Public transportation is great here even for commuters that work or live in neighboring towns.
My family uses our car only for Saturday shopping and for long distance rides. Other than that we use our season tickets to get to school or to work.

Abhorrence
July 4th, 2015, 12:04 PM
I mainly use the bus or walk to get around. The furthest I've walked is like 8 miles and that was only to find this cool place so it's not like my town is that big.

Cognizant
July 4th, 2015, 05:43 PM
It depends on the region. Where I live in particular, things are spread out but there isn't enough local bus service to get you throughout town in a timely manner, so we need a car to get around town, to the grocery store, etc. Our regional transportation is good enough that I'm content with taking the train into San Francisco, if I needed to go up there and didn't feel like driving/car was low on gas/etc.

However, if I lived in the actual city of San Francisco where everything is within walking distance and/or if I need to get across town and there's a bus line within two blocks of you, I wouldn't see a need to own a car.

AlwaysAlice
July 17th, 2015, 05:32 AM
one of my friends is the same so my mum or one of my friends parents give her a lift to or from her house when she comes over

BeachKid00
July 18th, 2015, 12:47 PM
I live in a rural town, so a car is pretty much required unless you want to be a shut-in.

hazelteen
July 22nd, 2015, 11:51 AM
no, I just don't think that my family could live without a car.... ! Do you mean that because you don't have a car, you have never been in one, or have you been in a friends car or something?

Unlucky
July 22nd, 2015, 06:29 PM
no, I just don't think that my family could live without a car.... ! Do you mean that because you don't have a car, you have never been in one, or have you been in a friends car or something?

I took the bus a lot as a kid, if that counts.
But I don't remember the last time I've been in a car, I probably have been, at least a couple times.
Or maybe I haven't, I don't remember.

If I have then I guess the title is slightly inaccurate.

hazelteen
July 23rd, 2015, 04:00 AM
I took the bus a lot as a kid, if that counts.
But I don't remember the last time I've been in a car, I probably have been, at least a couple times.
Or maybe I haven't, I don't remember.

If I have then I guess the title is slightly inaccurate.

Well, you're doing the enviroment a great deed then :)

Typhlosion
July 23rd, 2015, 04:21 AM
My parents didn't have a car from when I was 7 'till I was 14, I think. It's definitely not the end of the world.

GrossKahn
July 29th, 2015, 02:46 PM
Well, my friend's family doesn't own one. Not because they don't got the money for that. They only had no parking place

lliam
July 29th, 2015, 07:05 PM
We have two cars. However, my dad hates driving cars. He prefers to travel by train to get those 100 km to work. And my stepmom only has to walk about 200 meters to work through. Even to do the most necessary shoppings, we only have to walk a few hundred meters. The doc's office is located opposite the nearest supermarket in a medical center. And the village where I live has only about 15'000 inhabitants.

The reason why we still use cars is that we often do larger purchases on weekends or have to carry much stuff. And since we are a relatively large family, we use our van for trips into the countryside. But we rarely do use our cars to drive longer distances than 150 km.

So, according to some posts here, there are various reasons why people don't have cars. I don't find it strange if people own no cars. And that in Germany, where almost all citizens are going crazy for cars - if you look at the road density in this country.