PDA

View Full Version : Gettig rid of triggers?

xXoblivionXx
June 23rd, 2015, 09:13 AM
Not sure if this is the right section, so feel free to move if needed.

Is it possible to get rid of triggers? After my attempt and the events that led up to it I find myself easily triggered. By a specific person, by certain song, by kissing, or anything sexual. The way to get over it is to maybe remove those things from my life but sometimes I feel like they are following me. Is there away I can soften the blow?

Deleted User
June 23rd, 2015, 02:16 PM
It's time really. You can't just block out triggers by avoiding them because then they only get worse when you do encounter one. Unfortunately the only thing you can do is take it one day at a time and seek help with how to better cope with them.

xXoblivionXx
June 23rd, 2015, 04:32 PM
Carmilla do you know any good methods?

TylerK
June 25th, 2015, 02:56 AM
Carmilla do you know any good methods?

Honestly my trigger is when anyone disparages my country. Whenever someone does I get pissed, and I deal with it by just thinking of all that we've done since our beginnings. I don't know how that could help you, however...

Fiction
July 5th, 2015, 06:06 PM
I would agree and disagree with Jo. I think it's fine too avoid triggers until you feel more stable and ready to take them on, although in the long term it would be best too face them as Jo said.

At the end of the day you have to take things at your own pace, and if you chose never to have sexual contact, that's your choice and that's okay too. Although things such as the song are perhaps harder to avoid, and trying not to avoid it is better. I used to have certain songs that triggered me although nowadays they only make me think briefly back to certain things, they are otherwise meaningless and really it is only time that has dome that.

As for sexual contact it may help it be less triggering when it's with someone you really trust, and who will take things slowly and in your time.

Broken Toy
July 5th, 2015, 06:27 PM
If you try then youll focus on them and it wont really help. You need to move on from the association of the action with the emotion. This will be helped by time and also thinking about how you cant let 1 thing take over you

CosmicNoodle
July 5th, 2015, 11:08 PM
Time is the beast healer, all you need to do is wait,and don't be afraid to talk about it, just message me if you need to talk, ok special?