PDA

View Full Version : Believe me when I say you're all beautiful.

Unlucky
June 22nd, 2015, 11:36 AM
[deleted]

Microcosm
June 22nd, 2015, 03:12 PM
Physical beauty is an illusion in that it is indefinite. The reason it is indefinite is that, to call someone beautiful, you must have someone else or some other concept of beauty to compare them to. This person or concept by which you scale their beauty must always be opinionated, and, as such, is not definitively beautiful, or, in other words, considered beautiful by every onlooker because it must be, by definition, beautiful. In short, beauty is entirely opinionated.

Thus, beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder as Plato once said.

Living For Love
June 22nd, 2015, 04:30 PM
Depression, Loss, and Grief :arrow2: Uplifting Stories And Messages

Unlucky
June 27th, 2015, 09:08 AM
Physical beauty is an illusion in that it is indefinite. The reason it is indefinite is that, to call someone beautiful, you must have someone else or some other concept of beauty to compare them to. This person or concept by which you scale their beauty must always be opinionated, and, as such, is not definitively beautiful, or, in other words, considered beautiful by every onlooker because it must be, by definition, beautiful. In short, beauty is entirely opinionated.

I was just trying to make people feel better about themselves. :(
But I suppose you make a good point. :P

Beauty doesn't exist but neither does ugliness.
Everyone's perception of beauty is different.

So my point still remains, many people think that they are ugly.
Though no one is ever truly ugly, everyone has the potential to be beautiful in someone's eyes.

Microcosm
June 27th, 2015, 12:29 PM
I was just trying to make people feel better about themselves. :(
But I suppose you make a good point. :P

Beauty doesn't exist but neither does ugliness.
Everyone's perception of beauty is different.

So my point still remains, many people think that they are ugly.
Though no one is ever truly ugly, everyone has the potential to be beautiful in someone's eyes.

Yes, I know. :P I thought it might add to the message for some people. :)

DoodleSnap
June 27th, 2015, 06:21 PM
Yeah, humanity is a funny old collection of brains. I personally think that just the fact that we are thinking about this and having this discussion is beautiful. Some people find big things beautiful, some people find tiny details beautiful, it all depends.
Our criticism in ourselves is a way of trying to improve: playing devil's advocate and questioning what is there is a way of improving and progressing that is a core part of democracy. However, sometimes it can be difficult to get past these thoughts, and see yourself for the beautiful, ever-changing, impermanent, sentient being that you are. I think we all need to remember that sometimes.

Syzygy
June 29th, 2015, 02:23 AM

I disagree. Physical beauty is just traits reminiscent of health and vitality. I don't need to see someone an obese person to see a fit person as attractive. It's instinctual. When you see a new person you know almost immediately if they meet your criteria to mate with them because our eyes are very good at analyzing other humans.