PDA

View Full Version : I'm trying so hard not to cut... Help

sdauman
June 15th, 2015, 08:27 PM
I've been good for a few months but everything is crashing back and the urge to cut is so overwhelming. I've tried everything, the butterfly project, the squiggly line thing, even rubber band snapping but nothing is working. Someone please help.

Unlucky
June 16th, 2015, 09:26 PM
You say you've tried everything, so I'm right to assume you've talked to someone about this? Because that seems to often be the last thing people do. So if you haven't, you should. It can be quite helpful to let it out.

I would suggest that you get someone to talk to, a hobby, or even a journal.

SethfromMI
June 17th, 2015, 12:40 PM
for these types of issues, it is hard for anyone to stop on their own. it might be wise to get a professional. there are some counselors who specialize in stuff like this, but even then, many counselors have some training in helping people in your situation or know where to send you to get help

Anastaysha Marie
June 20th, 2015, 04:57 PM
I agree with those who think you should get professional help, but I also understand why you wouldn't. There are tons of people who's last option seems to be the shrink, and for many reasons. The main one being that they don't feel like they don't understand. They don't care.
Well, let me tell you something. If they didn't care, they wouldn't have chosen that job for their career. Many of them chose to be that BECAUSE they have gone through much of the same stuff and want to help others who may be in the same situation. OF course, the situation may not be exactly the same, but they can still help.

Miserabilia
June 20th, 2015, 04:59 PM
I understand why professional help is often not an option.
I remember feeling exatly like you; eventualy, the only thing that will help is there *will* be a point where people find out, whether you trust them enough or on accident. You *will* find others who do it and who have stopped, or you can stop together.
Anything else is just keeping yourself busy but it doesn't really help.

Doc. Maestro
June 23rd, 2015, 07:41 AM
If you can, tell a good friend about it. They will help you through it. If not, try to let out anger. I find that everybody has an "emotion bar", like in games as mana. The way this particular mechanic works is that people bottle up emotion when stuff happens, and have to let it out. Sometimes when people reach their cap, it leaks or bursts, this normally comes as a negative side-effect. If you think you're at your limit right now which is possible, try to punch things, maybe get a bag, or a pillow.

If you absolutely must feel pain, get something hard but cushion it, so when you punch you won't scrape skin but you might still feel pain from the pressure of the hit, which is normal. Hopefully this helps, stay strong, relapses happen, everything will be better soon

Jaffe
June 23rd, 2015, 10:45 AM
Professional help is the only way. I don't cut or do pain. The only self-harm I was ever into was dying. Yeah. But the way out is the same, no matter what it is.... Professional Help.

I hated the idea of a "shrink". But I was forced into it. I am just now, more than a year later, just starting to be comfortable admitting that I talk to a therapist every week. It's hard to do, hard to admit that we need it. But I am alive. And part of that is due to having a therapist.

Please, talk to someone. Talking, sharing, is the only way.

Abhorrence
June 23rd, 2015, 02:17 PM
Take your mind off of it; read, exercise, call a friend, arrange to go out or something.

TessaBear
July 1st, 2015, 04:48 AM
Sleep. Sleep it off. Write about it. I promise it will pass.