PDA

View Full Version : Alcoholic and drug abusive parents?

Unlucky
June 13th, 2015, 12:31 PM
When my mom was alive she used many different drugs on a daily basis. My dad's an alcoholic, but he can hold a job and doesn't take drugs anymore. Growing up I always felt second place to their addictions. My sister followed in their footsteps at age 12 when she started smoking, drinking, and taking drugs. She's turning 18 this year and is a self-proclaimed addict.
I however have stayed clean and plan to stay that way.

Has anyone else been raised under similar circumstances? How did you cope? Did you feel any pressure to get into drugs/alcohol/smoking due to your parent(s) usage?

Vermilion
June 13th, 2015, 12:39 PM
My dad's an functioning alcohol and has even up many a time but never has stopped completely. He also smokes A lot just tobacco.
How did/do I cope well I listen to music a lot a take to friends about it however I am on antidepressants and thus is partly to blame. I don't smoke never tried it but if someone offered me one I wouldn't say no. As for drinking I like a drink and when I start i do find it hard to stop. However I haven't ever been pissed out my head. I'm giving drinking up after my 18th so next month as I do not wish to become what I hate.

Microcosm
June 14th, 2015, 12:19 AM
My dad smokes. He smokes very often and I'm worried it could bring him serious health issues one day. He uses smoking to cope with his depression. I feel like one day I might, unfortunately, start smoking; however, if I did, I would do it very rarely and I'd probably use one of the safer e-cigs. There are ways to smoke now which aren't nearly as harmful as normal cigarettes. It's very good that you are refraining from substance use. I think that's a very mature decision for you to make. :)

Legs
June 14th, 2015, 01:16 AM
I don't really remember my Dad much at all since he left me and my mom when I was 2 years old. My Mom, Grams, and Pop-Pop have told me some things about him like he was an alcoholic and very abusive both physical and verbally to my Mom. Mom told me she said to him when I was very little you can either get help or choose to not get help and leave me and my Mom. My dad chose to leave us and I have not seen him or even talked to him on the phone since I was 2 years old. I really don't give a damn about him because someone who would choose alcohol over the own little kid and wife is pretty sick. For all I know he could be dead now.

Vermilion
June 14th, 2015, 02:29 AM
My dad smokes. He smokes very often and I'm worried it could bring him serious health issues one day. He uses smoking to cope with his depression. I feel like one day I might, unfortunately, start smoking; however, if I did, I would do it very rarely and I'd probably use one of the safer e-cigs. There are ways to smoke now which aren't nearly as harmful as normal cigarettes. It's very good that you are refraining from substance use. I think that's a very mature decision for you to make. :)

E cigarette have higher nicotine so aren't much better

Stronk Serb
June 14th, 2015, 04:18 AM
My parents were smokers. It's probably a reason I started, I didn't see nothing wrong in it.

Dalcourt
June 14th, 2015, 06:07 AM
My Dad is a heavy drug addict. Using hard drugs since I can remember. He tried to become clean several times but always relapsed. He also drinks and smokes.
My Mom, who I don't really remember, was a crack addict, too.

My Dad is abusive but I don't think that this really has anything to do with his drug addiction. I smoke and drink occasionally but not as much as others do who have parents who don't do drugs.

My Dad's friends have tried to give me hard drugs sometimes ... but surprisingly my Dad is very responsible and always forbids this. He doesn't even let me take meds that should help me with my bipolar disorder as he claims anti depressants where the cause his drug addiction started.

Unlucky
June 14th, 2015, 10:55 AM
It's very good that you are refraining from substance use. I think that's a very mature decision for you to make. :)

Thank you.