PDA

View Full Version : I'm self harming... In a way..

Microcosm
June 11th, 2015, 06:01 PM
I know this technically self harm. I want some opinions on
1)does anyone else do this?
2)is it harmful to my health?

So basically last night I got really depressed. I'm too scared to cut myself and I've always thought cutting yourself was dangerous especially if you don't know what you're doing. I've never cut before.

So, i sat down and rather than cutting myself, I started punching my self in the thigh as hard as I could until it bruised really bad. I did this with the other leg as well but was hesitant to do it anywhere below the thigh becUse the bruises would show when I wore shorts.

So basically my thighs are all bruised, but it kind of felt good. I did it again this morning and the pain is satisfying.

xXoblivionXx
June 11th, 2015, 06:48 PM
I would consider that self harm, you're harming yourself to feel the pain. I do hope that you don't start cutting. it's a nasty habit that can take years to completely stop. Try icing your thighs so the bruising goes away a bit faster.

1)I've done it before but I'm more likely to scratch than to punch myself

2) yes, it could lead to you wanting a more satisfying pain so you might do something more intense just to feel something. Also I don't think prolong bruising in the same general area is good for your muscles

avri
June 11th, 2015, 07:00 PM
Yes, this is still self-harm just in a different form because you are intentionally causing yourself pain. Just like cutting, it would seem that both are fairly addicting so depending on how long you've been cutting for/ how long it's been since you've stopped, you understand that there is a great risk in the first time you do something like this. I recommend stopping while you're ahead, because it is easier to stop when you're not fully addicted to it yet. Try distracting yourself with other things. Good luck :)

Hey you
June 11th, 2015, 07:27 PM
Yes this is self harm, I hope you find a good solution other that self harm to cope.

Unlucky
June 13th, 2015, 12:13 PM
Q: does anyone else do this?
A: I'm sure many do, plenty of people use alternatives to actually cutting themselves. I knew someone who'd pull their own hair out.

Q: is it harmful to my health?
A: Well, you are making yourself bleed internally.
Though it is far less damaging than cutting, I would assume.

I know you've probably heard this a million times, but you should really talk to someone about what's been bothering you.

Babs
June 14th, 2015, 12:12 AM
Bruising is actually a very common for as self-harm.
Does anyone else do this?
I'll do it sometimes if I get really pissed, though I'm trying to punch trees or something instead of myself. Or better yet, nothing at all.
Is it harmful to your health?
Although it is less severe than cutting, intentionally hurting yourself in any way shape or form is unhealthy.
Best of luck to you.

Doc. Maestro
June 14th, 2015, 02:13 AM
Yeah that's definitely self-harm. If you want to do something less perhaps use something flat or a rubber band to smack/sting your skin. You will still sort of harm, and feel pain, but it will be less harmful. I personally don't do this, I slap myself in the face when I'm trying to relieve it sometimes, but I haven't done this stuff for awhile, and looking back I can say don't do that. Just get a ruler or rubber band and smack your thighs, maybe your forearm (on top), just not too hard.