PDA

View Full Version : Shout Box Thingy?

xXoblivionXx
June 11th, 2015, 02:13 PM
Older users probably remember this more, I think it was taken off in 2012? But remember that shout box thing at the bottom of the homepage? Do you think we would ever bring it back?

Horatio Nelson
June 11th, 2015, 02:22 PM
I obviously don't speak for the entire staff, but it has usually leaned toward not coming back. As there is no way to prevent large character counts to be entered and subsequently causing the shout box to crash.

I could be totally wrong though. :P

ImCoolBeans
June 13th, 2015, 09:47 PM
I personally love the shoutbox, but it's a flawed design and a potential security breach waiting to happen. Every time we've tried to bring it back it's ended in flames. Sorry, but unless the issues with the modification are resolved the shoutbox isn't really feasible.

fairmaiden
June 14th, 2015, 07:43 AM
I personally love the shoutbox, but it's a flawed design and a potential security breach waiting to happen. Every time we've tried to bring it back it's ended in flames. Sorry, but unless the issues with the modification are resolved the shoutbox isn't really feasible.
Just out of curiosity; why could the Shoutbox cause a potential security breach? :)

CosmicNoodle
June 14th, 2015, 08:24 AM
Whats a shoutbox?

xXoblivionXx
June 14th, 2015, 09:01 AM
Whats a shoutbox?

it was kind of like a chatbox where all VTers could just blurb something

Horatio Nelson
June 14th, 2015, 09:54 AM
Just out of curiosity; why could the Shoutbox cause a potential security breach? :)

The amount of bad things that could be posted in it are countless.

ImCoolBeans
June 14th, 2015, 09:58 AM

I'm not going into details over it but there were a few instances where the shoutbox was targeted to crash the site.

fairmaiden
June 14th, 2015, 10:20 AM
The amount of bad things that could be posted in it are countless.

I'm not going into details over it but there were a few instances where the shoutbox was targeted to crash the site.

Oh ok, I understand.