PDA

View Full Version : Chickens!

Benelli
June 7th, 2015, 01:46 AM
Alright, so maybe I missed it... But I haven't seen much about owning any farm animals. Chickens, ducks, pigs, etc.

Personally, I own a ton of chickens, 4 ducks (my neighbors two mallards like spending their days over at my house then going back home at night), and plan on owning a horse or two later down the road... Possibly cattle.

I was posting this because I haven't seen much of the "rural" lifestyle on here, and I'm honestly not sure if there are many, if any, people on here who relate to me haha. And no, by rural I am not talking about the bucktooth, hillbillies that come to mind when most people think about farming, or farmers, etc. Those are (for the most part) stereotypes, based on movies and television.

For those of you that do have, or are interested in any "farm type" animals, which do you have or own? What breeds, how many?

Seahawks15
June 7th, 2015, 02:30 AM
Oh my gosh! This is exactly me! Just look at my username! I show a lot of my chickens.I use them only for eggs as they are all nice pets to me just like a dog or cat.I have 19 hens and 3 roosters.One rooster per pen.I have 3 Black Sex Links,3 Buff Orpingtons,two color patterns of Wyandottes,a Rhode Island Red,three Ameraucanas,two brahma bantams,two well summers and a pair of Quail Old English Game Bantams and a pair of Golden Phoenix Bantams.I also have 5 sheep,two goats and 3 geese and like 7 cats.I live on a 7 acre farm.

Benelli
June 7th, 2015, 02:56 AM
Oh my gosh! This is exactly me! Just look at my username! I show a lot of my chickens.I use them only for eggs as they are all nice pets to me just like a dog or cat.I have 19 hens and 3 roosters.One rooster per pen.I have 3 Black Sex Links,3 Buff Orpingtons,two color patterns of Wyandottes,a Rhode Island Red,three Ameraucanas,two brahma bantams,two well summers and a pair of Quail Old English Game Bantams and a pair of Golden Phoenix Bantams.I also have 5 sheep,two goats and 3 geese and like 7 cats.I live on a 7 acre farm.

That's so cool! I have 6 cats, 1 dog, 25 chickens total (although most are roosters due to an error at Tractor Supply Co. being almost anything you buy from them during Chick Days are roosters unless you order them already sexed. Ours for the most part are free range, but at times need to be kept in the coops for safety reasons (fox, bobcat) or for our safety reasons, such as mating season when 1 or 2 of the roosters get a wild hair and become aggressive although it is very rare and we have had only a hand full of fights between them within the past 2 years (which is so odd for roosters but such a blessing!)

1 Leghorn rooster, 3 hens, 1 White Silkie rooster, Tan Silkie rooster, Barred Cochin rooster, Black Silkie Bantam rooster, 2 Buff Orphington hens, 1 Partridge Cochin Bantam rooster, 1 Buff Cochin Rooster, 1 Black Cochin Bantam hen, 1 Black Cochin/Partridge Cochin Bantam cross hen, 2 Old English Game Bantam hens. The rest are crosses, which we don't know what breeds they are mixed with... And I have 21 chicks hatched so far just in the past few months... With more on the way. Along with Mallard mix ducklings that should be hatching any day now. I also have two Pekin ducks, a Magpie, and a Crested Blue Swedish. So the ducklings will be a cross between one of those and a mallard thanks to my neighbors ducks.

Seahawks15
June 7th, 2015, 03:39 AM
I've never had issues with the feed store in town are the local western chain stores.Since my roosters are separated at all times,we don't have to deal with fights.Thats a lot of roosters lol,I've never heard of an issue that major.You probably got straight run and not sexed.I always get the sexed chicks.I really want Cochin bantams hens and call ducks.Plus all my roosters are bantams but they range in sizes.The smaller ones tend to get the more docile bigger ones but I can't see them killing anything. Benelli

oshawott
June 7th, 2015, 07:45 AM
i got attacked by a chicken once. I dont own any though.

DriveAlive
June 7th, 2015, 09:50 AM
I have to ask what you guys do with these chickens? Are they just pets or do they provide food? My family owns a farm that we inherited from my grandmother but we don't live there and never visit. Someday, I wouldl like to do what Gordon Ramsay does and raise pigs, chickens, etc. on my property as a source of food.

Benelli
June 7th, 2015, 11:26 AM
I have to ask what you guys do with these chickens? Are they just pets or do they provide food? My family owns a farm that we inherited from my grandmother but we don't live there and never visit. Someday, I wouldl like to do what Gordon Ramsay does and raise pigs, chickens, etc. on my property as a source of food.

Mine are just pets. The hens provide eggs but that's about all. I hunt, so we don't really need to use the chickens as a food source.. Plus my mom has gotten attached to all of them and they all have names so it would be weird calling my dinner by it's name haha. :rolleyes:

Seahawks15
June 7th, 2015, 01:15 PM
Yeah,all my chickens are pets and the hens supply eggs.They are all named and so tame that we can pick them up and pet them or give them a hug. I'm against slaughter and hunting so either buy our meat from the store or buy meat from a local farmer.We grow a lot of our vegetables in the summer though.

Babs
June 7th, 2015, 03:42 PM
When I was a baby my mom had chickens and goats. She wants to get more but we haven't yet. I'd love to have chickens.

Benelli
June 7th, 2015, 05:35 PM
When I was a baby my mom had chickens and goats. She wants to get more but we haven't yet. I'd love to have chickens.

Chickens are very neat animals to own. They're fun to watch

WintersuN
June 8th, 2015, 12:10 AM
I remember I was super keen on starting some sort of activist group called FLOC or 'For the Love of Chickens'. I even wrote out a mission statement and everything, getting flyers from PETA about the treatment of chickens by various fast food companies. Everybody who joined would receive an alias and if we ever went out to protest we'd wear suits and chicken masks. That was when I was about thirteen, I should probably make it happen sometime in the near future.

jssixna
June 9th, 2015, 05:12 AM
Lucky I wish I had a chicken. Baby chicks are the cutest things on earth!

Iam-Marie
June 30th, 2015, 06:14 AM
I live in the city, no animals

Jaffe
June 30th, 2015, 09:44 AM
We live in the city, and have no animals.
My grandmother has chickens. Used to have 2 geese, too, but not sure if she still does. And a goat.
No pets... goat for milk, chickens for eggs and dinner. Geese for christmas dinner.