PDA

View Full Version : A "liking" system

ComfortableInChaos
June 5th, 2015, 05:14 PM
I've seen on other forums I'm on that there's a "like" system. Is this possible to add here? I'm not sure how many people would actually use this (or if it's ever even been mentioned) but maybe the admin/mods could look into this?

Living For Love
June 5th, 2015, 05:19 PM
We've had a reputation system in the past, it was removed for a variety of reasons, check this (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/showthread.php?t=172215) link.

Bmble_B
June 5th, 2015, 05:20 PM
Aw that sucks, I think it'd be cool, but oh well

Typhlosion
June 5th, 2015, 06:35 PM
A survey was done at the end of 2014 and the idea of having a like system was not generally favored. I'm not against such system, but it does have its reasons to not be immediately implemented.

That, and I think it's visual pollution.

ComfortableInChaos
June 5th, 2015, 07:32 PM
We've had a reputation system in the past, it was removed for a variety of reasons, check this (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/showthread.php?t=172215) link.

Ahh, I see. I don't even remember that lol

A survey was done at the end of 2014 and the idea of having a like system was not generally favored. I'm not against such system, but it does have its reasons to not be immediately implemented.

Oh okay. Yeah I left the forum for a little while and have come back from time to time and probably didn't participate lol

Cognizant
June 6th, 2015, 02:58 AM

I was about to find a like button to click to express my approval of your opinion.

The irony is killing me :P

ImCoolBeans
June 6th, 2015, 10:18 AM
The like system is kind of controversial because most people who were around for the rep system don't remember it fondly. I myself am not strongly opposed to a like system, but I'm not really a big fan of it either. As alex said, I think it's visual pollution as well.

kryptonite
June 6th, 2015, 12:16 PM
Can I point out the irony of people talking about visual pollution when their signatures are much more larger than their actual posts?

FWIW, I just turned that stuff off in my profile. :) Still, my point remains.

liptonlee
June 7th, 2015, 12:34 AM
visual pollution +1

Kirina
June 7th, 2015, 02:20 PM
http://i.imgur.com/WNmMfCs.png
Use yellow top bar or next to quote buttons.

If you have liked the post, the like button is hidden.
If more than 2-3 likes the post, you will have to click or hover to see the rest of the names.

It's at least not visual pollution compared to the big cluttered signatures, some users on this forum has.

The feature will actually decrease visual pollution by decreasing "empty posts". Posts that only agrees with something said already, without adding anything new. Some users would have used the like feature instead.

Abyssal Echo
June 7th, 2015, 03:39 PM
I was around for the Rep system. It isn't one of fonder VT memories.
I'm not opposed to a like system, but I'm not sure that a like system is really needed since you can go to the top of the thread and click on Rate Thread. Then again maybe Rate Thread could be changed to Like Thread.

fairmaiden
June 7th, 2015, 06:58 PM
image (http://i.imgur.com/WNmMfCs.png)

If more than 2-3 likes the post, you will have to click or hover to see the rest of the names.

It's at least not visual pollution compared to the big cluttered signatures, some users on this forum has.

The feature will actually decrease visual pollution by decreasing "empty posts". Posts that only agrees with something said already, without adding anything new. Some users would have used the like feature instead.
That's a pretty cool idea.

ImCoolBeans
June 7th, 2015, 10:40 PM
image (http://i.imgur.com/WNmMfCs.png)

That looks nice, but did you come up with that on your own and shop it in, or is that from an actual modification? Because a lot of ideas are good in theory, but the execution or actuality of a modification looking like that may not be feasible. I've tested and seen like-post addons before and for vBulletin 3.8 they haven't looked anywhere near as nice as that.

Kirina
June 7th, 2015, 11:27 PM
That looks nice, but did you come up with that on your own and shop it in, or is that from an actual modification? Because a lot of ideas are good in theory, but the execution or actuality of a modification looking like that may not be feasible. I've tested and seen like-post addons before and for vBulletin 3.8 they haven't looked anywhere near as nice as that.

Took it from another forum, it uses http://www.invisionpower.com/apps/board/

Here's how it looks. http://i.gyazo.com/33cb5acbae39b723e27f219dd568784c.png There the like button is placed where the post content is tho, it can do that because the posts have empty space. While on VT it's more compact.

Would be nice if it could be done.

ImCoolBeans
June 7th, 2015, 11:31 PM
Took it from another forum, it uses http://www.invisionpower.com/apps/board/

Here's how it looks. http://i.gyazo.com/33cb5acbae39b723e27f219dd568784c.png There the like button is placed where the post content is tho, it can do that because the posts have empty space. While on VT it's more compact.

Would be nice if it could be done.

Unfortunately IPB addons aren't compatible with vBulletin. It does look very nice, though.

ellie2000
July 3rd, 2015, 08:35 AM
That's a pretty cool idea.

I also like the sound of that :)

Sir Suomi
July 8th, 2015, 08:02 AM
No. Just no. I was around when all the controversy happened with the liking system. It caused more grief than it did good.

Melodic
July 8th, 2015, 10:01 AM
I think it's a good idea. Well, if the liking system could be used in a more uplifting than negative way. But given all that happened, I wouldn't say it should be back on the site.

Abhorrence
July 8th, 2015, 01:21 PM
I would say it's a good idea if it was implemented properly but even then I don't know whether it would just be overlooked.

HUSTLEMAN
July 8th, 2015, 05:19 PM
I was there near the end of the reputation system. It wasn't pretty so can we please not go down that road again.

Just JT
July 8th, 2015, 05:28 PM
Reputation system or like system, not sure I understand what the difference e is
I get the like system, and I personally liked it cause it's like someone can like what you say, receive positive acknowledgement of that, as like a means of support if ur post I g about something that your posting to show like positive progress, a good decision, you did something g good, or nice or something
Should be used appropriately to show support and acknowledgement and stuff

brambox
July 9th, 2015, 09:20 AM
Yea I don't like the idea. People will just like the posts of people they like, instead of liking things that add to the conversation. We'll get a hivemind cirklejerking the popular opinion.

Andyyy95
July 9th, 2015, 06:19 PM
I really don't like the idea of this at all.
People will simply start liking whatever they want or friends' posts, which will lead to favouritism in the sense that people may simply just base their view on a 'popular opinion' of a particular topic.

Just JT
July 11th, 2015, 10:58 AM
Well, im sure you will have some of that, guess that's to be expected with something like that. However, I think people for the most part are able to see through that people are liking things, and becoming clicky I guess. And if that's what some kids want, and they form their opinions based on the number of likes someone has, or what their friends are liking, then that would show how shallow their friendship really is
People are guna have their opinions of all kinds of stuff, good/bad what ever, but if there is a way to legitimize a like, being a valid thing, not a fad or adding to a click or something, I think would be cool...
But how? idk...

Andyyy95
July 11th, 2015, 01:45 PM
People are guna have their opinions of all kinds of stuff, good/bad what ever, but if there is a way to legitimize a like, being a valid thing, not a fad or adding to a click or something, I think would be cool...
But how? idk...

A suggestion could be limiting the amount of 'likes' a user is able to give in a particular time period, but as the staff / other members have mentioned above, the whole system is rather impractical to implement...

Just JT
July 11th, 2015, 03:30 PM
Limiting sounds like a good idea, but how to do that may be the impractical part
Maybe having the ability to like posts is something you earn in status
Say once you how X number of posts, or have to become a certain caliber of member, you are granted liking rights I guess you could say
If we could do that, then other members could see that the liking member is not just some guy who's liking his friends posts, rather liking for quality, content, or level of support
But that may also be impractical, idk about that level of tech stuff though