PDA

View Full Version : Is Global Warming Affecting Us?

Chileanboy
June 2nd, 2015, 03:13 PM
Do you think global warming is really happening?
Just opinion-based.

I think we can't stop ourselves and it's becoming too late. The extreme weather and natural disasters are sure a sign of the consequences.

Bmble_B
June 2nd, 2015, 04:12 PM
I voted no, because I honestly don't know, I'd hope not.

Unknwn
June 2nd, 2015, 05:03 PM
I definitely see global warming as a major problem that NEEDS to be solved not just by one country but by all countries, together. Not just the people with high power, but we, the normal citizens, have to also work towards living more sustainable lives.
I think that there is still time left to change our ways, but the bad thing is that an issue like global warming cannot be fixed overnight.

SethfromMI
June 2nd, 2015, 07:04 PM
it got down to the 30's here on Sunday. global warming my butt

Seahawks15
June 2nd, 2015, 07:40 PM
I think it will eventually reach the northern tiers of the world but for now the record heat is still in the tropics where it belongs.But I do believe that carbon dioxide emissions are altering our climate greatly causing temperatures to rise in the polar regions resulting in the ice caps melting.I sure don't want to live in Florida in 20 to 30 years :D.

DriveAlive
June 2nd, 2015, 09:34 PM
I most certainly believe that global warming is a problem that is destroying natural environments and weather patterns.

Airrd
June 2nd, 2015, 09:38 PM
yeah it is a real thing but people don't recognize it but thats the reason that summers are hotter and winters are colder like the weather get more extreme every year and its cause of climate issues

Microcosm
June 2nd, 2015, 11:25 PM
I voted yes.

While I am not incredibly educated on the subject, I do believe that the effects of global warming are prominent and can be seen and evidenced in many scientific studies. Here's a neat video I found outlining just a few of the evidences of global warming: Click Here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk5_CF15BHU)

Airrd
June 2nd, 2015, 11:32 PM
For some people, profit and money is the most important thing which is why a lot of companies do illegal dumping and stuff and all the ice that's melting and raising the oceans makes it seem like the hunger games might come true lol

Babs
June 4th, 2015, 02:39 PM
If it's not affecting us now, it will in the coming decades. I think we shoulf start using more environmentally friendly energy sources, along with other measures, to prevent this.

DriveAlive
June 4th, 2015, 03:09 PM
For some people, profit and money is the most important thing which is why a lot of companies do illegal dumping and stuff and all the ice that's melting and raising the oceans makes it seem like the hunger games might come true lol

Ha! Look at california right now. Im surprised people aren't doing Indian Rain Dances right now. I don't get how a state can run out of water, but people still refuse to admit that human activity is having an adverse effect on the environment.

kev99
June 5th, 2015, 06:30 AM
Yes. Temperature averages are slowly rising, animals and plants from warmer countries are becoming more and more common. It is already influencing us in agriculture, diseases spreading or ecological balance. We'll probably never really notice much difference in temperature in our daily lives (22C instead of 20 is not much warmer), but such a small difference makes a ton on food production or on the weather systems.

I don't think we can stop it, as there is certainly an inerty in the system, and it will take centuries to get back to the previous levels of greenhouse gazes. But we can do a lot to keep the global warming to a manageable level.

Typhlosion
June 5th, 2015, 07:30 PM
To the first question, in the title, "Is Global Warming Affecting Us?" the answer is most obviously yes. Just the fact that we posted about it/read the thread affected us. Never mind the greater scenario of the whole awareness and hippies and global politics and industry capitalizing upon it...

And those last four words are my main concern with global warming. I mean, really, ~80% of the greenhouse gases are in the form of... clouds. Methane produced by livestock trumps CO2 emissions on its effect on the environment. Is the Earth very slowly warming up? Probably, but greenhouse gases are not the only and most likely the biggest contributor/decisive factor on global temperature variations.

Really, I think the greater concern for environment among people nowadays is being cultured and capitalized on by the media.
So, is it happening? Likely. But it's also being grossly exaggerated.

WintersuN
June 8th, 2015, 12:15 AM
If it warms winter up, I'm all for it!

In all seriousness though, there's no doubt mechanised industry is placing strain on the ecosystem, but I reckon fossil fuels are getting somewhat of a bad wrap. Yes, of course they're making an impact, but much more focus should be placed on pastoral grazing and the ever increasing consumption of products derived from animals - especially cattle. As mentioned before the methane gas levels originating from grazing animals is astronomical.

laura65
September 23rd, 2015, 08:39 AM
My name is Laura. I'm 16 and I'm French. I think that the global warming is of us affected because according to me the disasters natures are sign (as says it *ChileanBoy*) then the climatic temperatures are there too, but unfortunately we cannot stop this phenomene. What do you think about it ?

Porpoise101
September 23rd, 2015, 09:09 AM
We need to stop denying and start acting if we don't want to see more places turn into desert.

phuckphace
September 23rd, 2015, 10:28 AM
lmao @ california running out of water, fuckin rekt.

cannot wait for it to collapse and go full Mad Max + Borderlands + Fallout.

http://i.imgur.com/asHsdQb.png there's a solution, but you aren't gonna like it

lkc413
September 23rd, 2015, 02:53 PM
It is just climate shifts. It has been happening forever. When my parents were my age it was super cold compared to now. When my Grandparents were, it was in between. Before that, it was hotter then now. We have had some of the worst winters in years the past couple of years in Tennessee. And come on, Boston last winter? Are you going to say all that was due to global warming? That was a hoax by Al Gore to get votes, thats it. Very convincing at first, until you see how twisted their arguments are.

Sailor Mars
September 23rd, 2015, 05:28 PM
Just opinion-based.

ayfs? its not opinion based. its a fact that global warming is real. whoever doesnt realize that is a fuckin idiot that lives under the rock. theres hundreds of signs and scientific proof that this shit is happening. regardless of what extremely religious and ignorant assholes think (no offense to religious people)

Porpoise101
September 23rd, 2015, 08:19 PM
ayfs? its not opinion based. its a fact that global warming is real. whoever doesnt realize that is a fuckin idiot that lives under the rock. theres hundreds of signs and scientific proof that this shit is happening. regardless of what extremely religious and ignorant assholes think (no offense to religious people)
Don't forget greedy industrialists who have an interest to continue polluting.

It's really sad that people are denying though. I think it has to do with people not understanding the difference between net warming of the earth's climate as a whole and weather. The fact is that climate change is a better term because it takes into account how the average increase in temperature can affect air and sea currents. This change can even cool some places. If you want more info search "thermohaline circulation". Personally the doubt of climate change is one of the great tragedies in "scientific" misinformation in recent times, just like young earth creationists and "anti-vaxxers".

Sailor Mars
September 24th, 2015, 09:39 AM
Don't forget greedy industrialists who have an interest to continue polluting.

It's really sad that people are denying though. I think it has to do with people not understanding the difference between net warming of the earth's climate as a whole and weather. The fact is that climate change is a better term because it takes into account how the average increase in temperature can affect air and sea currents. This change can even cool some places. If you want more info search "thermohaline circulation". Personally the doubt of climate change is one of the great tragedies in "scientific" misinformation in recent times, just like young earth creationists and "anti-vaxxers".
oh yeah, definitely them too. but i guess it doesn't matter about the education of the generations because every coastal city is gonna be under water in 60 years and hundreds of species are gonna go extinct so... doesn't even matter.

Body odah Man
September 24th, 2015, 12:42 PM
Just opinion-based.

I think we can't stop ourselves and it's becoming too late. The extreme weather and natural disasters are sure a sign of the consequences.

I sadly agree. Look at how extreme droughts and summers are these days.
Of course, if Cicero's right a great cataclysm will occur and the world will renew itself so...

Vermilion
September 24th, 2015, 12:51 PM
Yes it is and if you can't see it I'm amazed

phuckphace
September 25th, 2015, 08:20 AM
I like how despite scientific consensus supporting climate change, California's population continues to explode on purpose (their politicians want it that way) & guess who's leading the birth rate. if you guessed "Mexican immigrants", give yourself a gold star. are you catching my drift here? they've got their priorities ass backwards considering they've pissed away their water, on a fuckhuge, unsustainable population no less. chickens, roost, etc. "no worries, we can just build 200 seawater treatment plants so we can keep living in this shithole" lmao good luck with that. the "environmentalists" want white people to stop watering/tending their lawns but don't make a peep about the gorillions of illegals coming over by the vanfull.

we like to throw the word "anthropogenic" around but don't actually look at who the athropoi are and what they're doing. I'm guessing Cali would still have enough water now if they didn't have forty million fuggin people. that's actually considered a good idea in the land of fruits & nuts.

candorgen
September 25th, 2015, 08:07 PM
One of my biggest issues with certain viewpoints are the people who deny human-based climate change. The planet is turning into a mess because of a lot of our actions, and sometimes I feel like shouting to these type of denialists that they are insane (not that I have ever yet). If you want to live in a world of more deserts, floods, storms, war, suffering, death, etc than today (today being horrific in itself), be my guest. At this rate, an average global +2 degrees C of warming is unavoidable. If it reaches +4 C, it might go into runaway feedback, which means nothing we do will be able to stop a 6, 7, 8 C rise from today. Yay. Ignorance is pandemic.

[On a side note, I feel this thread belongs in ROTW.]

CLS02
September 26th, 2015, 12:41 PM
I think global warming is total bullshit. Of course climate changes. It always has and it always will.

My parents explained it very well. The reports that support global warming come from the government and from schools that receive government funding. Of course, if those reports do not say what the government wants them to say, that funding money will stop.

The global warming scare is just a way to brainwash people into accepting higher and higher taxes for everything we buy and use, and that tax money goes to the government which grows and grows, and so it needs more and more money and so they try to scare people more and more.

I think it's all bullshit.

Porpoise101
September 26th, 2015, 01:10 PM
I think global warming is total bullshit. Of course climate changes. It always has and it always will.

My parents explained it very well. The reports that support global warming come from the government and from schools that receive government funding. Of course, if those reports do not say what the government wants them to say, that funding money will stop.

The global warming scare is just a way to brainwash people into accepting higher and higher taxes for everything we buy and use, and that tax money goes to the government which grows and grows, and so it needs more and more money and so they try to scare people more and more.

I think it's all bullshit.

Is this sarcasm? If not then you are very misguided. Here's why:

You state that climate changes and it always has. Good job that's true [emoji122]. But what according to scientists (who we will get to in a moment), we should be cooling as we were until the industrial revolution.

You then go on to state that global warming was started by the government (I presume American). This is false because global warming was proposed by a Swedish scientist quite a while back (http://www.newsmax.com/t/newsmax/article/629135). The reason the government has picked up on it is because it was going to (and is currently) pose a significant threat to national security and safety. Can you not see the signs around you? The irony of your parents us that they will not be paying the increased taxes or whatever. Instead it will be you and your children who will be footing the bill for the damages to the cities and ports of our nation along with relief aid. By not tackling climate change earlier, we have guaranteed higher taxes and more government overreach for us and our kids. Turns out if you mitigate an issue, it's better for everyone. Huh. Isn't that something.

german_boy
September 27th, 2015, 09:33 AM
Yes, it is! For 4 years, my fav skiing area had to reschedule season opening. The skiing areas that didn't want to invest in snowmaking facilities a few years ago now have problems to operate at lower temperatures.

pjones
October 2nd, 2015, 07:02 PM
the Sahara was once an ocean and fish fossils have been found there. all we have is recorded history to measure by, and scientific theory for unrecorded history. who knows for certain how many cycles the world has been through? deserts become oceans that become deserts again seems possible. so the Sahara was once under water before humans, could it be that it's supposed to be under water again and we just don't want to be inconvenienced by the natural order of nature?

Porpoise101
October 2nd, 2015, 07:18 PM
the Sahara was once an ocean and fish fossils have been found there. all we have is recorded history to measure by, and scientific theory for unrecorded history. who knows for certain how many cycles the world has been through? deserts become oceans that become deserts again seems possible. so the Sahara was once under water before humans, could it be that it's supposed to be under water again and we just don't want to be inconvenienced by the natural order of nature?
No, we are actually going to cause an increase in deserts by drought. Climate also shouldn't change as far as it is to not be man made. In fact we should be moving toward an ice age of it weren't for global warming/climate change.

pjones
October 3rd, 2015, 09:48 AM
No, we are actually going to cause an increase in deserts by drought. Climate also shouldn't change as far as it is to not be man made. In fact we should be moving toward an ice age of it weren't for global warming/climate change.

but if the ice cap is melting, raising the ocean levels, doesn't that mean at some point the oceans will cover more of the earth? Is that how the Sahara became an ocean before the last ice age?

everlong
October 3rd, 2015, 09:55 AM
I'd say it's affecting us, I don't know too much about it though.

Porpoise101
October 3rd, 2015, 01:26 PM
but if the ice cap is melting, raising the ocean levels, doesn't that mean at some point the oceans will cover more of the earth? Is that how the Sahara became an ocean before the last ice age?
Yes it will, but the heat is drying out some areas and moving more water to others. The Sahel region in Africa will probably combine with the Sahara because of desertification. Once it becomes desert, the land cannot hold water as easily because plants hold and release water in the air. What will happen is that we will have another seaside desert like the Atacama or Namib.

SkyClad33605
October 3rd, 2015, 02:05 PM
it got down to the 30's here on Sunday. global warming my butt

Due respect, there is a different between climate and weather. If you google the difference I'm sure you'll find many helpful articles and youtube videos :)

On a different point I think this question is flawed. If you follow the issue no-one in the scientific community refers to what is happening right now as "global warming" it is "climate change". This is simply because while, yes the climate has gotten much much warmer since the industrial revolution, this warming and melting of the ice caps causes wild weather patterns.

The science is very clear on this. Climate change is real.

pjones
October 4th, 2015, 09:17 AM
Yes it will, but the heat is drying out some areas and moving more water to others. The Sahel region in Africa will probably combine with the Sahara because of desertification. Once it becomes desert, the land cannot hold water as easily because plants hold and release water in the air. What will happen is that we will have another seaside desert like the Atacama or Namib.

thanks for the explanation

trackinglife
October 5th, 2015, 10:45 PM
Due respect, there is a different between climate and weather. If you google the difference I'm sure you'll find many helpful articles and youtube videos :)

On a different point I think this question is flawed. If you follow the issue no-one in the scientific community refers to what is happening right now as "global warming" it is "climate change". This is simply because while, yes the climate has gotten much much warmer since the industrial revolution, this warming and melting of the ice caps causes wild weather patterns.

The science is very clear on this. Climate change is real.

For years and years and years they called it global warming. Then record snowfalls happened where they shouldn't have when they shouldn't have according to them anyway so they changed the term to climate change. All this really proves is they have been wrong before, that they have trouble predicting the patterns with respect to weather and temperature is a part of weather actually because temps have a lot to do with causing weather such as rain and such. Most of the climate change theories are based on computer models rather than real world data anyway. I recommend everyone interested in this issue read a book by Michael Crichton called State of Fear make sure you read the appendices at the end too. It is a fictional book but he uses a lot of real world science in it.

Porpoise101
October 6th, 2015, 06:22 AM
For years and years and years they called it global warming. Then record snowfalls happened where they shouldn't have when they shouldn't have according to them anyway so they changed the term to climate change. All this really proves is they have been wrong before, that they have trouble predicting the patterns with respect to weather and temperature is a part of weather actually because temps have a lot to do with causing weather such as rain and such. Most of the climate change theories are based on computer models rather than real world data anyway. I recommend everyone interested in this issue read a book by Michael Crichton called State of Fear make sure you read the appendices at the end too. It is a fictional book but he uses a lot of real world science in it.
Yes because it is an average increase of temperatures world wide. Then they realized the public is too stupid to understand climate change/global warning so they probably changed it for that reason. Those record snowfalls are happening because moisture is being moved around the earth. For example, even though the West and Australia are projected to dry out, New England and the upper Midwest are projected to slowly gain moisture. This is important because much of the heavy snowfall has come to those places in the US recently. Besides, where do you think they get the data for a computer model anyways?

phuckphace
October 6th, 2015, 07:35 AM
itt people who have never heard of the Little Ice Age

yeah yeah it wasn't a *true* ice age, but temps were most definitely below the modern average and it lasted centuries. check out art scenes from the period & you see a lot of snow and wintery settings. Londoners used to ice-skate on the Thames because winters were so cold it would freeze solid.

"hey look a local blizzard, GLOBAL WARMING IS BULLSHIT" = "I DON'T SEE ANYTHING EVOLVING, DO YOU???? EVOLUTION IS BULLSHIT" it helps to "zoom out" a little and look at the big picture

KeeganW
November 29th, 2015, 11:05 AM
I think it already is, lots of people say weather patterns are already very different than they used to be

LanaPole
November 30th, 2015, 02:14 AM
i dont have any opinion on climate change. my dad always joke about it, saying its false.

Canadian Dream
December 26th, 2015, 11:51 PM
Yes it does happen. Scientific evidence has been around for the last 50 years and sadly it's not until now that politicians are seriously thinking about acting on it. I honestly think it's one of the biggest threats not only to our existence but also to peace. For example, soon there will be tentions rising between the US and Canada to get water to relieve the drought in California, cause it's not about to go away. I hate how some people say that it's the earth's "natural cycle" because either they don't know what they're talking about or in my case at least all they can think about is their own fucking oil and gas income (I live in Alberta). It has been clear the earth temperature has never been so warm and to be honest we know that because we have ice records for millions of years. If all the ice has melted, then what good is the argument it's a "natural cycle"? However I do believe there is hope, since I have talked to many friends who believe this situation needs to be delt with. Soon, politicians will most likely face enormous pressure from the public to act upon global warming instead of all this talking bullshit that's been happening for a good 3 weeks in Paris.

Elysium
December 27th, 2015, 05:37 PM
This thread was bumped in September, so I'm going to go ahead and lock it. However, if any of you want to continue the debate, you can post your own thread in Ramblings of the Wise (I think that'd be more suitable for this topic).

:locked: