PDA

View Full Version : Is making yourself throw up considered self harm?

Naturalist
May 26th, 2015, 08:53 PM
Basically, is it enough for my psychiatrist to override patient confidentiality and tell my parents because I'm going to harm myself or others?

Vermilion
May 27th, 2015, 06:02 AM
I think so.

Dying Ember
May 27th, 2015, 06:11 AM
I think it depends where you live possibly, but usuallly confidentiality is only broken where suicide and homicide are concerned so I don't think your psychiatrist would tell your parents, but I may not he right as it depends

Abyssal Echo
May 27th, 2015, 01:30 PM
I think so. I guess it depends on the reason your doing it. it could lead to Bulimia or Anorexia. I can see your Psych telling your parents if he/she thinks it's becoming a life threatning problem.

WanderingHeart
May 27th, 2015, 04:47 PM
It definitely is. Constantly making yourself throwup is really harmful to your body.

CuteGuy889
May 27th, 2015, 06:21 PM
Throwing up & laxatives both are self harm. I used laxatives whn I started to put on a bit after being stick skinny all my life. Got scared & gave up in 1 week cos I got bad cramps and a poo accident:whoops:...

Just let ur body have its natural changes...Forcing ur body to an artificial low weight never lasts ..I'm getting a tiny bit chubby now but I'm happy I took the decision to eat healthy and let my body decide how much to grow.

Unknwn
May 27th, 2015, 07:33 PM
I think it would be considered self-harm :o

Uranus
May 27th, 2015, 08:22 PM
It's not really self harm because you're not cutting yourself or anything like that, but I suppose it is making your body suffer intentionally. So yes, it is self harm.

fairmaiden
May 29th, 2015, 04:40 AM
You're hurting yourself, so yes. Whatever you're going through, please know that making yourself throw up is not the answer and it can really damage you; emotionally and physically. I think that your psychiatrist would probably tell your parents if you're not over the age of 18.

Typhlosion
May 29th, 2015, 06:19 AM
Maybe if you're a minor, but in general the confidentiality is usually only voided in larger threats to health such as the desire to kill someone or yourself.
Either way, you should be honest to your psychiatrist.

stism
June 4th, 2015, 03:51 PM
Just get a juicer. The entire family will benefit, but you have to get a GOOD one, well over $50, in my experience. Search youtube for ThePatriotNurse and then search her site for her juicing video. She's a truly amazing woman.

PsychoticReality
June 4th, 2015, 06:44 PM
From personal experience, your parents, if you are a minor, will have to be informed. A psychiatrist must always inform your parents if you pose a risk to yourself or others, and in this case, making yourself throw up is a form of self-harm. This may not be what you want to hear but if your parents find out, you may find yourself having more people to talk to and more support by your side. So I suggest being completely honest with your psychiatrist! :) Its all for your own benefit.

Sheilae
June 21st, 2015, 06:39 AM
Every way you are not treating yourself good and with respect is self harm or abuse if you ask me. And vomiting... Is one of the most harmful things you can do to yourself darling

danny87786
June 22nd, 2015, 10:03 PM
I used to be bulimic and I purged in a way to self-harm so I can let go what I was feeling inside.

hazelteen
July 22nd, 2015, 12:09 PM
i would say it is, but please don't hesitate to tell your psychiatrist because they will be sympathetic and they will TELL you if they are going to tell your parents- they will also probably be there with you if you want and they will find a way to make it more comfortable for you. it's really important that someone knows about his as it is EXTREMELY dangerous

KingExplosionMurder
July 26th, 2015, 08:29 AM
Basically, is it enough for my psychiatrist to override patient confidentiality and tell my parents because I'm going to harm myself or others?

Yes throwing up is self harm to you. Well it's not good to keep making yourself throw up. Basically if you throw up a lot I think you lose so much energy that your body will give up on you. You'll get dehydrated so yes tell your folks and psychiatrist if your throwing up a lot maybe they could help you more :thumbsup:

bootsandskirts
March 9th, 2016, 07:15 PM
Yes!!! It damages your body both short term and long term. It even causes teeth decay!!

Living For Love
March 10th, 2016, 08:44 AM
Please don't bump old threads. :locked: