PDA

View Full Version : Being hospilzaied for self-harm?

danny87786
May 24th, 2015, 04:44 PM
Hey guys. I used to cut and because so I joined a suppoort group online ( it one on facebook that me and this other girl I will speak about created). My freind said that she was hospilized for 13 months for doing such actions to her body. I never asked why and to what extent these percautions took place but i just want to know how is this possible I mean if sombody had mental health issues they can go and come back to see a doc I don't see why they have to live there and for just a few cuts on the arms I don't think soembody needs to live there.

Castle of Glass
May 24th, 2015, 08:29 PM
As someone who has been hospitalized twice(once for a day, cuz i bsed my way out of it and 3 days, 4 if included the day of school i missed cuz of the process, for being suicidal), but here are some scenerios of why a person would get hospitalized. In the mental health world(well atleast in High school mental health) there is the Big 3:
1. Harm to self
2. Harm to another
3. Harm from another

Those 3 mainly decide where or not you get hospitalized, well if you need to see a psychiatrist.

Now to get to your question. I personally got hospitalized because i was suicidal. I cut and i was suicidal. Same thing happened to a close friend. although she was mentally unstable and suicidal. I cut 2 or 3 seperate times a day and was planning on attempting. A lot of people get hospitalized for suicidal thoughts or attempts, like my first hospitalization. You may only see a few cuts, but who knows what their brain is processing. so yea, it really depends on the person. but if your friend was there for 13 months, a super super long time, then she most likely attempted or it wasn't her first time.

WanderingHeart
May 24th, 2015, 10:02 PM
As someone who has been hospitalized twice(once for a day, cuz i bsed my way out of it and 3 days, 4 if included the day of school i missed cuz of the process, for being suicidal), but here are some scenerios of why a person would get hospitalized. In the mental health world(well atleast in High school mental health) there is the Big 3:
1. Harm to self
2. Harm to another
3. Harm from another

Those 3 mainly decide where or not you get hospitalized, well if you need to see a psychiatrist.

Now to get to your question. I personally got hospitalized because i was suicidal. I cut and i was suicidal. Same thing happened to a close friend. although she was mentally unstable and suicidal. I cut 2 or 3 seperate times a day and was planning on attempting. A lot of people get hospitalized for suicidal thoughts or attempts, like my first hospitalization. You may only see a few cuts, but who knows what their brain is processing. so yea, it really depends on the person. but if your friend was there for 13 months, a super super long time, then she most likely attempted or it wasn't her first time.

I'd have to agree with castle here. I was hospitalized for about a week and a half, and many of the people there would go to another place to stay for about 6 months or more. Your friend was there for over a year, so she probably did attempt it, it wasn't her first time, or she told them something that caused her to stay for that long.