PDA

View Full Version : Working in a World of Smoking

Allain1996
May 23rd, 2015, 10:44 PM
So I've fairly recently started working at a car dealership service center and literally every single person I work with from the management, service advisors, fellow technicians, and lot porters all are smokers.
There is an entire lounging area out behind the building where you can almost always find full of different people smoking.
I'm a non-smoker and don't really want to smoke because, well to be honest, I like my lungs pink and healthy, not black and shriveled.
The problem for me is though that it's pretty much like a social thing where I work, you meet with your co-workers out back over cigarettes to share stories about the job you're working on, and I'm constantly being offered cigarettes and asked if I wanna "take a break for a cig" because everybody just automatically assumes I'm a smoker too.
I regularly use e-cigs and have for about a year now, but I have no interest in smoking real cigarettes except that it's sorta a weird social stigma in my shop if I don't.

Microcosm
May 24th, 2015, 12:14 AM
Try not to let yourself be pressured into doing something you don't want to do. When offered one, just tell them you've got one and then pull out the ecig or something like that.

Karkat
May 24th, 2015, 02:09 PM
If you don't want to smoke, just explain that you're not into it. If they're not weird, immature babies, they'll respect that.

ImCoolBeans
May 26th, 2015, 09:45 AM
They should respect your decision to not smoke. If you haven't already told them that you don't smoke, then you should. I doubt they would pass judgement, and if they do then that's kind of pathetic considering that they're adults bagging on a kid for doing something good for himself. Unfortunately, a ton of people do smoke, and you'll probably find that at most places you end up working. At my job I would say about 80% of my co-workers smoke and it is also a very big social aspect of the job.

mcloete
June 9th, 2015, 01:45 AM
It is your decision not to smoke and they should respect that.

sweettayla
June 9th, 2015, 02:38 AM
Just tell them you're a non smoker, it's way easier not to take it up rather than try quitting later on once you're hooked.