PDA

View Full Version : I want to buy a telescope.

Microcosm
May 23rd, 2015, 05:22 PM
My price range is about 50-100 bucks. I would want to use the telescope to get good looks at moon craters and better close-up views of stars and stuff. This would also be my first telescope. I'm looking for suggestions here if anyone knows lots about this stuff.

Babs
May 26th, 2015, 12:12 AM
I'd do some online research if I were you. I've never used a proper star gazing telescope so I don't have much to tell you myself, but you can definitely find some information on line.

phuckphace
May 26th, 2015, 02:26 AM
I had a fancy Meade brand reflecting telescope for awhile, it was pretty sweet.

you'll have the best luck with a higher end reflecting scope, although your view will be upside-down. the moon is the easiest celestial object to view since it's so close, but Venus, Mars and Jupiter aren't too difficult to find either.

WintersuN
June 8th, 2015, 12:27 AM
You're going to be hard pressed to find something decent for $50-$100. You'll probably be able to get a good look at the moon but for stars you're going to find yourself somewhat disappointed, especially if you're within a major urban centre with light pollution. Find the largest aperture you can afford. You can either either get a cheap refractor and see how you go with that for a little while, or save up a little bit more and spend about $300 for something that's going to last you a couple of years or more compared to something you might get bored with in weeks or even days. You might even find bargain on a used telescope on Ebay or a similar site, just check for scratches on any exposed glass. Celestron's received a pretty good wrap overall especially for their higher end telescopes, so I'd give them a go if you're able.

Iam-Marie
June 30th, 2015, 06:16 AM
maybe you find it with low cost by ebay or 2nd hand

Danny_boi 16
June 30th, 2015, 08:34 AM
Getting images of individual stars is hard, especially for the price range. However, star clusters and double stars would be easier. Sam for the moon and planets. Not so much for deep sky objects like galaxies. I used to have a Meade, I didn't like it. I'd start out with a cheap refractor(that's what I did). But now I'm a fan of Newtonian Reflectors (well all reflectors really). These tend to be on the pricer side, but if you can find one with your budget, I'd go for it.

SethfromMI
June 30th, 2015, 09:00 AM
I know they can be super expensive, even for a half way quality one. shop online, ebay, even look at garage sales and stuff

kayla...
September 11th, 2015, 12:48 AM
It's to look at girls isn't it

Cadanance00
October 15th, 2015, 05:36 PM
It's to look at girls isn't it

Of course! You can buy a thing that makes the image upright. Girls shouldn't be upside down.

You can get a good deal on a used one. People get tired of them but stay away from Tasco. They're junk except for very old ones that were very expensive. They're almost useless for astronomy unless they have an equatorial mount.

phuckphace
October 15th, 2015, 08:33 PM
this is what I would buy. (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1123826&gclid=CO2ju4zsxcgCFVKFfgodfpUAFA&is=REG&m=Y&A=details&Q=) emphasis on would.

Cadanance00
October 16th, 2015, 10:45 AM
this is what I would buy. (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1123826&gclid=CO2ju4zsxcgCFVKFfgodfpUAFA&is=REG&m=Y&A=details&Q=) emphasis on would.

Looks good, but I would want a motor driven mount for photography.

phuckphace
October 16th, 2015, 11:27 AM
just buy the Hubble, fuck it

might go on sale after James Webb is complete