PDA

View Full Version : Search Feature Improved!

Kiros
April 8th, 2008, 04:18 PM
I'm happy to say that the search feature has been greatly improved on. Similar thread results (found at the bottom of each thread) have also been improved to show more relevant threads.

1. First of all, searching (and anything that uses the feature) will now have only a 30 second limit on queries - unless server load becomes a problem.

2. The minimum character limit has been decreased on both vBulletin settings and on FULLTEXT search settings to 2 characters. This means that important, but short, words can be included in searches - words like: if, do, and to. A good example of a search query with a small word like this is "how to lose weight."

3. The common, disregarded, word list has been greatly reduced to only the most common words, which at this point in time are as follow (separated by spaces): it he him she her i me they them we us my mine his hers am is are were was has had of a an the that this some and but yet or as be at just lot what.

4. Guests can now use the search feature if they confirm a code in an image (very similar to the confirmation image shown at registration).

5. Similar thread results (at the bottom of each thread) use a higher tolerance with less valued scores. In other words, for each word that is similar, the thread's score doesn't go up as much as it used to, and since we are now using a higher score tolerance, it takes more relevant threads to show up as similar.

Simply put, it should be much easier to find what you're looking for these days ;)

Kiros
April 17th, 2008, 05:05 PM
I would just like to add on to this.

All of the stop-words that were interferring with searches have been completely removed. The common (not allowed) word list has also been updated to this:

it he him she her i me you they them we us my mine his hers your yours am is are were was has had of a an to the that this some and but yet or as be at just lot what

Those words are the only words that cannot be searched for at this time.

Thank you,
Ben

Kiros
April 17th, 2008, 06:19 PM
The search limit has been reduced to 30 seconds.