PDA

View Full Version : Fluoxetine (Prozac)

Typhlosion
April 22nd, 2015, 10:23 PM
Heyo, VT, again!

This morning I finally went to a mental health doctor, but he was a psychiatrist. I partially described my problems with him, both social inhibitions and anger issues, as well as a bit of my failures at UNIFEI; and in return he recommended two psychologists he's familiar with to try "cognitive therapy" and also handed out 2 vials of fluoxetine for me to take over a month and a week, then after that have another appointment with him after that.

Really, I'm hesitant about this. I guess he prescribed it based off some sort of anxiety about social interactions (which is why I'd go to a psychologist), but that's still not necessarily related to anger/irritability issues or do I have depression (or at least so I think). I'm kinda wary that these kinds of drugs can have an array of side effects, so I'm unsure on taking anti-depressants for anger problems. My parents are not against the idea but my gf Yasmin is totally against it, especially because these kinds of drugs can lead to dependence an suicidal thoughts, the latter she's been through. I decided to at least wait for one or a few sessions with a psychologist before further action.

So, VT, what were your experiences with Prozac and/or what decision do you find appropriate for my situation? Really, I'd love all the feedback available!

Thanks for reading, and thank you for posting in advance :heart:

Horatio Nelson
April 22nd, 2015, 10:34 PM
Hey Alex. :)

I honestly have zero experience with anti-depressants. But I do know from friends and family, they do change your mood, and effect everyone differently. I think it's wise of you to wait and talk to a few more doctors before starting to take the medication, especially if the first doctor didn't seem very involved. I know firsthand that doctors will prescribe you medication that doesn't actually help you.

I hope it all goes well, whatever you decide to do. :)

Abhorrence
April 23rd, 2015, 10:27 AM
Fluoxetine was the first anti-depressant drug thing I was on and it didn't work for me. I didn't really get any side effects except I was hungry all the time. Also cognitive therapy or CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) didn't work for me and my therapist is looking for other therapies for me I guess? I'm going back tomorrow so I'll see then. It basically works to see triggers with moods and stuff I think.

WanderingHeart
April 24th, 2015, 12:42 PM
I was on prozac and all it did was raise my suicidal thoughts. If my mom hadn't lost the bottle and thought I didn't even need it I'd have probably overdosed on them. Prozac also leaves you hungry a lot, which really sucks. What it's supposed to do is raise your mood and make you feel better. It didn't work on me, but everyone is different so it might work for you.

Deleted User
April 24th, 2015, 01:25 PM
Prozac did not work for me but it was because it was making me grind my teeth and I already have jaw problems so I stopped and told my doctor I was not going to be able to keep using them. But beyond that, I had no other issues.

Prozac is, however, very good for anxiety. And no, you cannot become addicted to anti-depressants. There is not real "dependance" except for some people think they can't function without them but that's in their mind, not a physical dependance. If you are working with CBT alongside them, you could easily be off them in a year or so. What Prozac mainly does is level out certain chemicals in the brain so that you're at a better baseline for daily functions. With CBT, you learn to keep this baseline (whether it be anxiety, depression, anger, etc) without the use of medication. But I dislike many of the assumptions that medications "change you" or will make you "addicted". Some medications (like clonazepam for anxiety) are addictive but they are from a completely different family of drugs.

I would say it's perfectly appropriate to prescribe it for you. Prozac is one of the first medications doctors may try because it can be used for a variety of different issues. At a low dosage, the side effects are not usually too bad but it really depends on you. And suicidal thoughts are not actually as common as people think but if you do find you're having them with that medication, stop it immediately and speak to your doctor. There are many medications that can cause the same side effect and many of them are not even mental health related. So honestly, using "you might become suicidal" is a scare tactic from most people who just don't agree with medication. But it does happen so doctors do have to tell you about it.

Also, remember, for any anti-depressant, they do not work immediately. They can take four to six weeks to begin working and often take up to as long as six months to feel the full effects. In the grand scheme of things, anti-depressants really aren't so bad because you don't really notice the changes since they're so gradual which is good for people who are nervous about medications. For people like me, however, with severe symptoms that need to be treated immediately, they aren't very effective. But that's just my case, although I have taken Prozac a couple of times.

Also keep in mind, side effects can last up to two weeks. The best idea, if they are only mildly irritating, it to grin and bear it and they go away. Some people have a low tolerance though and that's okay. I stopped because it was going to worsen a pre-existing problem and my doctor agreed it was not a good match for me.

TL;DR: Just due to the nature of the drug, it's easy to prescribe because it can help with numerous issues and get you started on a low dosage that will just ease some symptoms gradually while you also work with something like CBT at the same time. Often they are not meant as life-long meds and are only used to get you to a point where you feel comfortable moving forward without them once you've gained the coping skills to do so. There are relatively low risks associated with it but if it doesn't work for you, there are a number of alternatives that do the same thing. So it might not be a bad idea to try it and see how it works for you, keeping in mind that there is a time frame for it to be at it's full effectiveness.

And remember, medications work with your body chemistry. What works for one person may not work for you. I've been through... about eight to ten medications before we found a combination that worked for me ideally without side effects. It takes a lot of patience if that's the route you decide to go but I also have BPD and bipolar and severe anxiety so the level of medication I'm taking compared to what was likely prescribed to you is a LOT higher and mine is likely life-long. Comparatively, I don't think you have any reason to be concerned.