PDA

View Full Version : What should I do about my self-harm?

VirtualLouie
April 22nd, 2015, 12:31 PM
Hi Everyone,

I started to self-harm about 6 months ago.
It started very mildly, but recently it has got progressively worse. I don't really know the reasons I do it, but I get urges when I am sad, lonely or angry; I also like the way that the cuts look on my skin.

I first started because I met this person on the internet, and they told me that they self-harmed to 'punish' themselves. I tried to comfort this person, and tell her to stop, however, I became a hypocrite, and tried it myself and now I can't really stop.

What should I do? (Only my boyfriend knows about this)

Vermilion
April 22nd, 2015, 12:46 PM
Hi Everyone,

It started very mildly, but recently it has got progressively worse. I don't really know the reasons I do it, but I get urges when I am sad, lonely or angry; I also like the way that the cuts look on my skin.

I first started because I met this person on the internet, and they told me that they self-harmed to 'punish' themselves. I tried to comfort this person, and tell her to stop, however, I became a hypocrite, and tried it myself and now I can't really stop.

I'm assuming you want to stop. Try changing how you react, like put on music scream shout ect instead of cutting. I'm not sure what else to say.

Uranus
April 22nd, 2015, 02:50 PM
Maybe talk to someone who can help you??

Microcosm
May 11th, 2015, 12:40 AM
Hi Everyone,

There is really one definite way to stop. Let's face it: It's an addiction.

To stop an addiction, you have to decide to stop. You have to literally force yourself to stop and say "No. I won't do this because I know it is bad for me."

Echelon
May 17th, 2015, 12:28 AM
There is really one definite way to stop. Let's face it: It's an addiction.

To stop an addiction, you have to decide to stop. You have to literally force yourself to stop and say "No. I won't do this because I know it is bad for me."I started doing it near the beginning of 2015. It got progressively worse. When I began to feel better, it began to stop. It's been a few weeks, and once again - I felt terrible - so I cut myself.
I don't even know why. I told myself that I wouldn't go through that. Especially because it's spring and summer and people would suspect if I only wore sweatshirts through that season.

It really sucks; I don't feel addicted to it, but I feel like I have to do it when I'm feeling down. It helps.

ValentinClarke
May 17th, 2015, 07:17 AM
Hi Everyone,

Well, I can relate to your story, slightly. And I can tell you that it's okay. You don't have to punish yourself, life is hard enough as it is, without giving ourselves more pain. Find ways to let those urges out in other ways, punch a pillow, draw, meditate mindfully. And get a red pen, and try to draw cuts on your skin as a substitute. If you want, try an elastic band, around your wrist, and ping it against your skin if you have any urges. Think about what causes these urges, get to know yourself deeply. Trust me, when you stop, you'll be so happy. Please, don't hesitate to message me if you have an urge. I have loads of other methods to share, if you want some more alternatives

Babs
May 19th, 2015, 01:46 PM
I agree with Dan. You just have to stop. Throw out your blades. Resist the urges.
This isn't what you want to hear, but it's something I wish someone told me when I was trying to stop self-harming: you will have slip ups. Sometimes you might cut again after weeks without it, but it's okay. Everyone has slip ups. Take it one day at a time, and just do your best.

SethfromMI
June 21st, 2015, 06:56 PM
I would suggest professional help. if you can, find someone who specializes in self-harm (they are out there)

Doc. Maestro
June 23rd, 2015, 07:44 AM
I just posted to somebody something that I believe and I might post it somewhere else later. But I believe all people have an "emotion bar" that stores up emotion and it has to be let out. If it reaches the cap, which for some it does, it leaks out or bursts depending on how much pressure there is, normally in negative ways, because naturally it is an explosion. Now, you have to let this out somehow, try anger, maybe punching something, a desk or a wall, but if you can cushion it so as to not draw blood. Perhaps you can cry, that would probably help to.

Point being, get your emotion out some way, happiness (hard), anger, crying, just try to steer away from depression and pain if you can :)