PDA

View Full Version : Addict

ValentinClarke
April 22nd, 2015, 12:05 PM
Could you be addicted to cutting? My friend said she liked cutting because it was a stress reliever, she's not been cutting for a month. Is it possible she's going into a withdrawal of sorts, as her mental state has changed dramatically since? But I dont know what to do.

Vermilion
April 22nd, 2015, 12:13 PM
She'll probably go back to it if she can't release the stress in a new way. All you can do is be there for her try and find why she has changed. If she doesn't want to talk just drop it and be there for her.

Babs
April 24th, 2015, 02:51 PM
It is possible to be addicted to cutting, like any other compulsive behavior. However, there aren't any physical symptoms of withdrawel like there would be with alcohol or drugs. So I guess it's not an addiction in the conventional sense, but an addiction nonetheless.
Mentality can change with cutting. When I quit, it GNAWED at me. But after a while the feeling goes away. It's different for each person though.

Abhorrence
April 24th, 2015, 03:58 PM
Cutting is mostly always an addiction, thus why people find it so difficult to stop. It apparently releases endorphines in the brain and therefore makes a person feel happier or more relieved. This feeling makes people want to not stop cutting because they like the way they feel when they have cut, just like when people take drugs or whatever.