PDA

View Full Version : First car advice

matt_tgr
April 16th, 2015, 07:45 PM
Hey guys! So two days ago, my dad asked me what car i wanted for my birthday (only allowed to drive from 18). So we started talking about the budget and everything, and he said he'd match what i paid for it, which would be about €15.000.
I'm really into cars so I already have a purrfect car chosen, that is reasonably practical, reliable and quick, therfore I don't really need advice on that.
But here's the deal- my dad doesn't want me to drive anything more powerful than a Mini Cooper S we previously owned, which was about 210bhp. Now my perfect first car would be the VW Golf Mk5 R32, and that one is 250bhp.
So to the point now- i know he won't be happy with the power output of that car and I'll have to convince him I'm gonna be safe in that AWD VR6 monster :D
And now the question- you guys got any idea on what should I tell him to change his mind?

Uranus
April 16th, 2015, 07:51 PM
I'd go with the Honda Civic Si Coupe (http://automobiles.honda.com/civic-si-coupe/specifications.aspx)

It's a really nice car for a first. 4-Cylinder 6-Speed. With around 13-15Mpg. Nothing too powerful, but it has a good amount for it's type. My first car will be one of these.

matt_tgr
April 16th, 2015, 07:53 PM
I'd go with the Honda Civic Si Coupe (http://automobiles.honda.com/civic-si-coupe/specifications.aspx)

It's a really nice car for a first. 4-Cylinder 6-Speed. With around 13-15Mpg. Nothing too powerful, but it has a good amount for it's type. My first car will be one of these.

You obviously didn't read the whole thing, huh? :D

Uranus
April 16th, 2015, 07:55 PM
You obviously didn't read the whole thing, huh? :D

What? :D:D:D

mrmee
April 20th, 2015, 09:15 PM
remind him that hp does not determine how fast it'll go, but how far you put your food down does

and 210-250 really isnt that big. my first car has never been dyno'd but i know for a fact its over 500 but then again it is a truck

Sasha M
May 15th, 2015, 07:25 PM
I would say go with a 1999 Nissan Stagea RS, but then again, I am insane.

matt_tgr
May 22nd, 2015, 05:58 PM
I would say go with a 1999 Nissan Stagea RS, but then again, I am insane.

I loved the wiki description "commonly referred to as the r34 of wagons" hahaha

Dreamer98
May 22nd, 2015, 06:36 PM
Well man , I don't know , but I would say that you're maybe too young to drive so powerful car . :D
If I would be in your place , I would choose some less powerful car , diesel probably . :D
You can buy really nice car with that budget , think about it . :D :)

Sasha M
May 23rd, 2015, 01:48 PM
Well man , I don't know , but I would say that you're maybe too young to drive so powerful car . :D
If I would be in your place , I would choose some less powerful car , diesel probably . :D

Ha! If I could, I'd get a '09 Nissan GTR tuned by Henessy and run it on ethanol. Give or take 1300 HP. Insane, but not impossible. (Plz god halp my utub vidz do good sew I haz da cash)

Also, getting back to OPs original post. Come on! It's 40 extra horses, your dad won't mind going over a bit. XD

Cooper197
May 24th, 2015, 01:01 AM
There's a big weight difference between a Mini S and an MK5 R32. Use that to your advantage.
Its almost 1,000 LBS between the two cars, and 40HP over that amount of weight is nothing. Add in AWD, and you actually have a more practical and safer vehicle with the VW.

BlueFoot
May 25th, 2015, 03:42 PM
Hey guys! So two days ago, my dad asked me what car i wanted for my birthday (only allowed to drive from 18). So we started talking about the budget and everything, and he said he'd match what i paid for it, which would be about €15.000.
I'm really into cars so I already have a purrfect car chosen, that is reasonably practical, reliable and quick, therfore I don't really need advice on that.
But here's the deal- my dad doesn't want me to drive anything more powerful than a Mini Cooper S we previously owned, which was about 210bhp. Now my perfect first car would be the VW Golf Mk5 R32, and that one is 250bhp.
So to the point now- i know he won't be happy with the power output of that car and I'll have to convince him I'm gonna be safe in that AWD VR6 monster :D
And now the question- you guys got any idea on what should I tell him to change his mind?

Its only 40hp higher :P that can do alot but its not much a difference with the weight difference of the cars

matt_tgr
May 26th, 2015, 05:03 PM

Well see, it's not that powerful! And it is a really nice car! But when it comes to diesels... Nah ah. I'm a car freak, i love the engine note of the r32, and I don't want to settle down already, and drive sensible, boring cars. As long as there's an opportunity, I'm gonna go for sports cars. I'll drive 2.0l merc when i turn 60, but until then i want some excitement in my life :D

There's a big weight difference between a Mini S and an MK5 R32. Use that to your advantage.
Its almost 1,000 LBS between the two cars, and 40HP over that amount of weight is nothing. Add in AWD, and you actually have a more practical and safer vehicle with the VW.

Oh wow! That didn't cross my mind to be honest. It's actually 800 (the mini was a convertible), but still, it is indeed a huge weight difference. I thought since they've kind of got similar dimensions, they'd weigh about the same (looks like AWD systems do indeed add a bunch of weight haha). Great point! Gonna point that out to my dad next time. Thank you! :D

EDIT: i did some calculations and it looks like the R32 is still 23bhp/tonne more powerful than the Mini :D (mini-140bhp/t; R32-163bhp/t). (I guess i'm gonna leave that bit out hahaha)

Professional Russian
May 27th, 2015, 09:24 AM
remind him that hp does not determine how fast it'll go, but how far you put your food down does

and 210-250 really isnt that big. my first car has never been dyno'd but i know for a fact its over 500 but then again it is a truck

The gearing really determines speed as well tq and hp. The are the 3 main things for speed. Controlling it is up to you.

JacobIN
May 28th, 2015, 08:24 PM

How does a 4 banger get 15 mpg? Are we even talking the same language here or no?

Uranus
May 28th, 2015, 08:26 PM
How does a 4 banger get 15 mpg? Are we even talking the same language here or no?

Oops. My bad.
It does get 22City/31Highway I believe

JacobIN
May 28th, 2015, 08:27 PM
The gearing really determines speed as well tq and hp. The are the 3 main things for speed. Controlling it is up to you.

Torque has little to do with speed, Its more determinant on acceleration. Top speed is a combination of highest achievable RPM, transmission gearing, rear axle ratio (rear wheel drive) and horsepower.

JacobIN
May 28th, 2015, 08:28 PM
Oops. My bad.
It does get 22City/31Highway I believe

I was about to say lol. I didn't know if you were using some weird conversion or something xD

Uranus
May 28th, 2015, 08:29 PM
I was about to say lol. I didn't know if you were using some weird conversion or something xD

I was probably half asleep or something. But it is a nice car. 205Hp ain't bad.

JacobIN
May 28th, 2015, 08:37 PM
I was probably half asleep or something. But it is a nice car. 205Hp ain't bad.

Nah its got a good power to weight ratio. As long as it doesn't have a fart cannon its good.

Professional Russian
May 29th, 2015, 06:15 AM
Torque has little to do with speed, Its more determinant on acceleration. Top speed is a combination of highest achievable RPM, transmission gearing, rear axle ratio (rear wheel drive) and horsepower.

Actually it does. You can't take off with no torque. You can't go on pur horse power. That's why most of the times in the long run a diesel will win because of all the torque. Torque has a lot to do speed look it up sometime ;)

JacobIN
May 29th, 2015, 05:33 PM
Actually it does. You can't take off with no torque. You can't go on pur horse power. That's why most of the times in the long run a diesel will win because of all the torque. Torque has a lot to do speed look it up sometime ;)

Taking off is acceleration. And in the long run, a diesel wont win because its low RPM limit, which factors to its torque advantage, limits its top speed. As I said: Acceleration is mostly dependent on torque, and top speed horsepower. This is the reason that a Cummins will out match a GTR in a drag, but gets left in the dust at top speeds.