PDA

View Full Version : How about a new virtual teens banner... Competition?

Scott10111
April 8th, 2015, 02:08 PM
So... The current virtual teens forum banner is looking a little bland and boring, I'm not an artist or a crazy thinker but what if a competition was hosted for members to create and submit their own created banners that still serve the same use, but with a better look?

They could even be a monthly change of a user submitted banner.

Dying Ember
April 8th, 2015, 02:15 PM
You can change the setting of it, there's a thing at the very bottom left hand corner of the page. That's a cool idea though

fairmaiden
April 8th, 2015, 03:14 PM
That would be pretty cool. It could even be for another theme/skin as well.

WanderingHeart
April 8th, 2015, 07:58 PM
The idea for a new banner sounds awesome. I think it'd be great to do it.

SethfromMI
April 9th, 2015, 07:54 AM
You can change the setting of it, there's a thing at the very bottom left hand corner of the page. That's a cool idea though

the banner kind of changes with the skin, but I think he is talking about a total redesign on the banner. I have no artistic talent so I would not be competing, but it is a good idea

Dying Ember
April 9th, 2015, 08:05 AM
the banner kind of changes with the skin, but I think he is talking about a total redesign on the banner. I have no artistic talent so I would not be competing, but it is a good idea

Ah right okay, yeah that would be cool to redesign it!

Scott10111
April 9th, 2015, 08:16 AM

maybe a redesign of the theme with a color scheme to match it, also instead of one winner, they could be one for each current option available.

Deleted User
April 9th, 2015, 03:53 PM
First off, new themes were installed recently. That's always a suggestion and honestly, the staff aren't going to be adding new ones every month. There are more important things to be doing and from someone who has been here five years, I can tell you it's a lot more than the three or four we started out with.

Second, you'd have to redesign the banner to fit every theme. Short of using transparency in the background, that's a fair bit of work and even then, the actual colour schemes vary. I've seen this idea of a "contest" thrown around and tbh they're often turned down over and over. The site is fine as it is.

DerBear
April 9th, 2015, 09:20 PM
The other issue is that if the submissions aren't really what the staff are looking for and they end up saying "Hey guys, we're sorry but due to the submissions, we don't feel anything would fit with all our theme designs the way the current logo does. Sorry!"

People will be upset by this and people will think there submissions aren't worthy. It was kind of like when VT decided not to hire a mod couple years ago after holding applications, some people took it quite personally. So the same thing happening again is a possibility.

Plus the new banners are quite nice and fit well with every theme VT uses. Plus VT has never been about having the latest designs and mods installed. Your overall idea I think is good but like I and others have said there is a lot of complications or issues to consider.

ImCoolBeans
April 9th, 2015, 09:52 PM
I like the idea in theory, but it's not really practical. First, VT has 9 themes, and one of them has 9 different color styles/templates -- that's 18 different themes to choose from -- which is more than any other forum I've ever been on. We've added a handful of new themes in the last year and a half, and have even updated the mobile theme recently so it's more user friendly.

About the idea of a banner contest -- I also like this idea in theory -- but it's also not too practical with the amount of work it would entail. That would mean that somebody needs to make 18 identical banner templates with 18 different color schemes, which would need to be fine tuned and in all honesty, would need to look good. We don't want poorly designed banners being put up if we're going to change them. We have been interested in new banners, and would love to do it, but at the time being we have some other things on our to do list that rank higher than new banners, and when we replace them, we're going to want them to look professional, more modern, and we'll want them to match well. I'm not saying that there aren't members who can't do a good job, and if somebody is interested and has the right skill set that we're looking for of course we would be open to discussion, but we're not looking to facilitate a contest, look through submissions, and let people down in the end.