PDA

View Full Version : Unsure...

Doc. Maestro
April 7th, 2015, 08:33 AM
I'm not sure if I can consider myself a self harmer. I just wanted to know if I am, because it's not severe but I fear it could get worse. On occasion I get my scissors or something sharp (very rarely) and I cut, but not very deep, or very much. Maybe an inch long at the most and minimal bleeding. Does this count? Also I like pain, and once when I needed to stay awake I started pinching myself with my nails, and found it felt good and also helped me stay awake, so I kept doing it until half my arm was covered in swollen pinch marks (because nails)

xXoblivionXx
April 7th, 2015, 08:40 AM
Yes, I would say that is considerd SH. Not everyone does it for the same reason, some need an escape, some use it as a coping method, some just need to feel something (all of these are reasons people do it but self harm is really not the answer) Nonetheless, any form of self harm is considered dangerous and if you can, try to stop.

Ive heard of people slapping their face on the checks (rather lightly) to wake them selves up I'm not sure if that's concidered self harm but once you start doing it even when you don't need to stay up, just for the heck of it something is wrong.

SethfromMI
April 7th, 2015, 09:32 AM
if you bring harm to your self, then it is self harm

Abhorrence
April 7th, 2015, 10:49 AM
if you bring harm to your self, then it is self harm

Exactly this.

City Kid
April 7th, 2015, 04:17 PM
It definitely sounds like self-harm to me! Please try to stop. Even if you feel like you're in control of things now, the risk that you will become addicted to self-harming after some time is very high. Can you get rid of the things you cut yourself with? That was the only way I could stop. If you have to search for something to harm yourself with first it's less easy to relapse. Be safe!

Dorythegingersnap
April 8th, 2015, 06:39 PM
If you cut yourself just to feel it, I would say it's definitely self harm. I used to be REAAAALLY bad, and even then it was still only shortish cuts cause I didn't want anyone to notice. I hope that answers your question adequately

Meh Guy
April 9th, 2015, 08:18 PM
I'm not sure if I can consider myself a self harmer. I just wanted to know if I am, because it's not severe but I fear it could get worse. On occasion I get my scissors or something sharp (very rarely) and I cut, but not very deep, or very much. Maybe an inch long at the most and minimal bleeding. Does this count? Also I like pain, and once when I needed to stay awake I started pinching myself with my nails, and found it felt good and also helped me stay awake, so I kept doing it until half my arm was covered in swollen pinch marks (because nails)

Any deliberate act of harm against your body cause by yourself is Self Harm. There are multiple reasons people do it. You've taken the first step to getting better by realizing that you may have a problem. I would suggest stopping it before it's too late.