PDA

View Full Version : How important is safety to you?

Cognizant
April 5th, 2015, 03:01 PM
So I learned the scary way today that my Camry doesn't actually have ABS or traction control in any form or function. I almost rear ended a car at 40MPH today because traffic came to a sudden stop and I started to skid like crazy.
That got me thinking about car safety. I'd rather have a "less fancy" car if it meant it had better safety systems, but I'm curious to know how many people don't really care about safety features, as long as it has seatbelts and a front airbag.

Where do you stand?

Uranus
April 5th, 2015, 03:03 PM
Well on the road, safety can be a big thing. However, I do have abs and tc on our car. I guess being safe can be the difference between life and death, but if you're too safe you become over confident, which can be dangerous.

NickTheStar
April 5th, 2015, 03:07 PM
Doesn't matter. Life insurance policies are relatively cheap at my age and I have relatively decent car insurance. Someone's catching good money off of me either way. That being said some safety features are quite dangerous. Seat belts have severed peoples bodies before and air bags easily can break your jaw. The rear view camera some newer cars have disorient me anyway. Plus I'm a amazing driver and make a habit to get out of the way of someone obviously messed up on something or eighteen whelers.

Mil1dreded
April 5th, 2015, 06:34 PM
Not really big deal for me I like my cars older cars tend not to be safe unfortunately but there cool

Typhlosion
April 5th, 2015, 06:36 PM
I don't wear my seatbelt!

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/006/971/Sohardcore.jpg

Abyssal Echo
April 5th, 2015, 08:24 PM
I live in the middle of nowhere so it's not that important to me. My truck has seat belts and good brakes that's it for safety systems.

Uniquemind
April 6th, 2015, 12:41 AM
Haha haha haha...hmmm *grunt* <(nervous laughter starting loud and decreasing with volume with a serious hmmm and grunt.

My reaction to this thread is kind of cynical because "safety" is a misnomer.

The biggest threat to us young people is being distracted mentally or by the dashboard or some electronic mobile device (hands free or not) while we or another person on the road is driving.

Then just below that is driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohols or driving on the road with a driver who is also sleepy.

Trucks on freeways (especially tired) drivers are the scariest thing ever.

All big no-no's in my opinion, and no car safety feature can protect you from some of the above.

But specifically to safety features in cars there have been massive car recalls because of manufacture and mechanical defects that in of themselves are dangerous.

I'm a bit odd in that I'm a young person that watches the news and reads business and economic magazines and reports but there is one recent issue with airbags in newer cars (across multiple brands like Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Chevy, and pretty much all of them) would deploy and send metal shrapnel (metal shards) into the driver like a grenade going off in your face if the airbag ever had to deploy because of a hit, even a small hit.

There have been deaths over the USA because of this issue and the company Takata that manufactured the airbags and then contracted out that one car component with multiple car brands is being sued so bad in Japan, and car companies are mad at their business-manufacturer partner.

Psh new cars being safe HA! If crappy manufacturing keeps happening the only thing really improving is gas mileage and aerodynamics and a few fancy radar-like scanners and rear-view cameras.

But safe? That's a relative word my friend.

The only brand I trust is Tesla, because they haven't really had any major scandals or deaths with their cars, but that car is easily $100,000 American dollars.

But I am ready to go carless or Tesla for their safety feature and reputation.

-----

When you look at a car's safety look at every single detail of the car and it's advertised specs, read reviews of people who own the car already both new and older members, look at the technology behind the cars design, and look at all the companies and their reputation that are responsible for building every feature of the car.

1. The body design
2. The computer software in the car
3. The breaks
4. The radio
5. The power steering
6. The airbag
7. The metal used in the car's build

---

Also that "new" car smell? That's the smell of chemicals that when breathed in or have long exposure to increase your risk for cancer to some degree.

Don't believe me? Look up the science behind it and freak out your peers in the next school project presentation that comes around.

Uniquemind
April 6th, 2015, 01:06 AM
The other thing you can do is to use a safe driving technique.

So like MEMORIZE the driver's handbook.

Use slow acceleration and treat the gas pedal like your pressing on eggshells and only hard accelerate when you need to speed up for defensive reasons to avoid a crash.

For instance I've had moments where I had to accelerate so that I could create enough space on the highway for another car to merge onto the highway behind me between me and the care previously behind me, or the opposite if I'm trying to get on and the other person isn't letting me in and I'm running out of road to merge on safely. Sometimes others maintained equal speed to me and either was ignorant of my driver conditions and was only thinking from their perspective or was deliberately being a jerk on the road, it matters not.

Never give into road rage, it's just an emotional feeling driving isn't a contest. As long as you are safe and hopefully still en route to where you need to go there isn't much to complain about.

In the day and age where people have been shot just because they honked their horn, it's not even worth the risk to express that emotion.

Try not to travel in herds of other cars, studies show cars like to travel in "groups" or packs close together, but this is actually bad because it limits your maneuverability opportunities to change lanes if necessary if say a truck overturns or swerves suddenly; if there's a car on your left you can't go there and same deal if someone's on your right.

Always be aware of others in your blind spots.

Also be aware if you are in someone else's blind spot and do your best to move out of their blind spot.

Also always signal a minimum of 4 seconds before even beginning to change lanes.

Straya
April 6th, 2015, 03:10 AM
in all honesty if you were close enough to the car that you had to slam on your breaks you were to close to begin with and yes i am a hoon and i regularly have my car sliding sideways down the road so i know how to control a car that has lost traction and the best thing to do is slow movements of the steering wheel. if you start jerking it sharply in either direction your gonna make the slide worse and loose control

and dont listen to the person above accidents happen and i guarentee you with the driving skills i have over theres any accident im in will be reduced because i know how to control a car thats lost control where as they will be lost and slaming into a guard rail on the side of the road or a tree

mrmee
April 7th, 2015, 09:58 PM
Abs, tc, airbags, seat belts for every seat... I don't have any of that. Forget all this new stuff like automatic brakes and cars that read speed limit signs by themselves.

CosmicNoodle
April 7th, 2015, 10:13 PM
Well, every day I get onto a device, with a 2.6 gallon tank of high explosives between my legs, and a boiling hot engine directly under it, with a road contact surface the size of a small mobile phone, and reguarly do 60mph down tiny back lanes with poor road surface and push the machine further than it was ever designed to go, one of my tyres is damaged and tends to make the bike vibrate at random times, other times the wheels decide grip is boring and slide around, I am in no way sercured to the vehical and have 0 protection to impact apart from a motorcycle helmet of fairly average quality. I also maintain it myself and avoid mechanics where possible. I have no ABS, Traction control or any sort of electronic driving aid, and my headlight is about as strong as a candle.

Safety isn't high on my list of prioritys.

Cooper197
April 8th, 2015, 02:09 AM
I think safety is hugely important, but I think many things are not factored into it. ABS is pretty much a must have, but things like airbags and T/C can get out of hand fast. Personally, I grew up in a wet, snowy climate and learned to drive a car without T/C. Even now when I drive my new truck (2014) I turn off T/C when in slick or snowy weather. Just easier for me to control it that way, it does some weird things otherwise.

Airbags are great too, assuming you actually hold the wheel correctly. I can tell you from first hand experience having your arm break in 3 places and then fly back into your face and break your nose really sucks. Probably would have just had basic rashes and abrasions if I had held the wheel correctly, and with a 3 point seat belt I may have even been better off than I was without airbags. Hard to tell for sure.

A huge safety point is always the size and weight of the vehicle as well!

Professional Russian
April 8th, 2015, 05:28 AM
The only "safety feature" I like on a car, if its even a safety feature, is automatic 4 wheel drive....but alas can't get that with a manual transmission so I'll survive without it

Infidelitas
April 17th, 2015, 12:49 AM
I like the idea of having safety features on a car. My car has front and rear airbags, curtain and side airbags, ABS, Auto brake distribution, traction control, stability control and auto locking doors.

Nice to know that I have a modern car that would give me the best chance if I had an accident.

Babs
April 24th, 2015, 01:03 PM
I guess pretty important. Admittedly though, I'd probably choose a cool-ass car over one that was safer.

Dreamer98
April 25th, 2015, 03:42 PM
Safety should be the most important segment of one car .. :D :D

kev99
April 25th, 2015, 04:49 PM
Most important part of the car.

But I find ridiculous that some drivers get tons of safety options like extra airbags or automatic emergency breaks, yet at the same time completely ignore basic driving rules or don't attach their seatbelts.

Also, learn to drive defensively. If you were surprised by sudden traffic halt, then you weren't paying enough attention to the traffic, and were too closely following the car before yours and/or were driving too fast.

As for seatbelts being dangerous, that's frankly bullshit. The risk of being killed or heavily injured because of the seatbelt is way lower than chances of being saved by it. So is the "I'm a skilled driver, I don't need safety measures!" one; no amount of skill will ever protect you from unpredictable obstacles or mechanical failures leading to sudden accident.

RavenR
April 25th, 2015, 04:55 PM
Safety should be the most important segment of one car .. :D :D

well said! :)

jay_
April 26th, 2015, 01:03 AM
Safety is VERY important to me, especially since my last wreck. I was in a bad accident as a kid and if my dad didn't have a modern car I'd be as good as dead.

Ridonks_CB
April 26th, 2015, 02:16 AM
I won't allow my parents to even turn on the car unless everyone has their seatbelts on. That about sums me up.

Let Me Be a Pony
April 26th, 2015, 05:18 AM
Seatbelts are racist, don't like them. :C
I always like to stick my head out of the car.
Once, I threw a rock out of the car and it accidentally broke the windows of another car.
Auspiciously, no one was in the car.
Good for me, bad for the owner. :( I feel bad, because everything around me breaks.

KeeganW
April 26th, 2015, 10:36 AM
Safety is very important, lotta cool cars have safety features in them so its not like its a choice

Vermilion
April 26th, 2015, 10:40 AM
As long as it has a seat belt and working breaks and power steering I don't need anything else

benj2
April 26th, 2015, 10:52 AM
I think safety is very important

Cognizant
April 26th, 2015, 06:57 PM
Most important part of the car.

But I find ridiculous that some drivers get tons of safety options like extra airbags or automatic emergency breaks, yet at the same time completely ignore basic driving rules or don't attach their seatbelts.

Also, learn to drive defensively. If you were surprised by sudden traffic halt, then you weren't paying enough attention to the traffic, and were too closely following the car before yours and/or were driving too fast.

Meh. We were already slowing down and I was trying to keep my distance. I looked over my shoulder for no more than 2 seconds to see if it was safe to change lanes, but the driver in front of me was changing their rate of deceleration. That caught me off guard when I started looking forward again. My fault for wanting to change lanes, I guess?
I will agree though - no amount of safety systems will help you if you don't know how to drive safely or utilize the systems correctly.

tiffany1
April 29th, 2015, 05:59 PM
safety is very important for me cause you only live once :)

roadwarrior
April 29th, 2015, 11:52 PM
Yeah safety is very important.. so before you travel check all the things that you need to finish.. drive carefully and safely so you can go to your destination without problems..

Andyyy95
May 2nd, 2015, 04:31 AM
Extremely!

JacobIN
May 28th, 2015, 08:41 PM
So I learned the scary way today that my Camry doesn't actually have ABS or traction control in any form or function. I almost rear ended a car at 40MPH today because traffic came to a sudden stop and I started to skid like crazy.
That got me thinking about car safety. I'd rather have a "less fancy" car if it meant it had better safety systems, but I'm curious to know how many people don't really care about safety features, as long as it has seatbelts and a front airbag.

Where do you stand?

Traction control really on matters on ice or snow, sometimes water, but either way it doesn't do much as far as brakes go. The ABS, on the other hand, is something to possible worry about. My trucks is iffy, it comes on and goes off all the time. If you pump the breaks instead of slamming on them it helps, but isn't always an option. Until you get something slightly better, you may juts have to drive slower.

Cognizant
May 29th, 2015, 02:49 PM
Traction control really on matters on ice or snow, sometimes water, but either way it doesn't do much as far as brakes go. The ABS, on the other hand, is something to possible worry about. My trucks is iffy, it comes on and goes off all the time. If you pump the breaks instead of slamming on them it helps, but isn't always an option. Until you get something slightly better, you may juts have to drive slower.

Yeah. I need a car with ABS. I learned to drive on a car with "modern day" safety systems so doing the defensive techniques for traction loss is a bit difficult/scary for me. I skidded out coming to a halt even at 25 mph on a residential street because a Mercedes blindly pulled out in front of me.
It got better when I got new tires and brake pads for sure, but I think it would be a lot safer with ABS at the minimum.

JacobIN
May 29th, 2015, 05:35 PM
Yeah. I need a car with ABS. I learned to drive on a car with "modern day" safety systems so doing the defensive techniques for traction loss is a bit difficult/scary for me. I skidded out coming to a halt even at 25 mph on a residential street because a Mercedes blindly pulled out in front of me.
It got better when I got new tires and brake pads for sure, but I think it would be a lot safer with ABS at the minimum.

Yeah getting new brake pads help. If you do it yourself, it'le run you about 20-70 USD (depending if you get calipers or not) and should take around an hour and a half if you've never done it before. A word of warning: If you do it yourself, do not over tighten the break hose bolt. It will break.

Cognizant
May 30th, 2015, 03:10 PM
Yeah getting new brake pads help. If you do it yourself, it'le run you about 20-70 USD (depending if you get calipers or not) and should take around an hour and a half if you've never done it before. A word of warning: If you do it yourself, do not over tighten the break hose bolt. It will break.

Jesus, I spent $800 at my mechanic to change the brakes and tires.... :\ lesson learned lol

JacobIN
May 31st, 2015, 12:52 PM
Jesus, I spent $800 at my mechanic to change the brakes and tires.... :\ lesson learned lol

If he actually had too get new tires then yeah, those are expensive. The tires on my truck cost 150$ apiece and they are the cheap ones lol

Hey_123
June 5th, 2015, 09:59 PM
Very important

WintersuN
June 9th, 2015, 03:26 AM
We were thinking about getting a Suzuki Swift before checking the ANCAP safety ratings... a single star out of five, forget that!

fairmaiden
June 26th, 2015, 05:42 AM
If I had a car, safety would be very important to me. Not just for my sake, but for anyone who is in the car with me. Would any of you guys really want to be responsible for your 90 year old grandpa hurtling out of your car windscreen at 65 mph? No thanks.

Iam-Marie
July 3rd, 2015, 06:16 AM
for me is security very important, it can decide on life and death.
it is good that you MUST have to invest the seat belts n Germany.

Andyyy95
July 3rd, 2015, 10:48 AM
for me is security very important, it can decide on life and death.
it is good that you MUST have to invest the seat belts n Germany.

What about on public transport? We don't have those in London, and buses can be really bumpy!

Iam-Marie
July 3rd, 2015, 10:50 AM
What about on public transport? We don't have those in London, and buses can be really bumpy!

Not in public transport but in coaches

Andyyy95
July 3rd, 2015, 11:48 AM
Not in public transport but in coaches

Oh, me & coaches don't go very well together haha -_-

DriveAlive
July 3rd, 2015, 12:26 PM
I like having ABS and AWD options.

Sports Boy
July 6th, 2015, 10:38 AM
I live in Philly where it's crowded with lots of crazy drivers, so safety is important. My mom does research on safety before buying a car.