PDA

View Full Version : Scratching = self harm?

xXoblivionXx
April 3rd, 2015, 08:56 AM
Lots of times people associate cutting with self harm. But is scratching also self harm? isn't self harm basically harming yourself in any way to "get" relief?

SethfromMI
April 3rd, 2015, 09:00 AM
I would say scratching yourself on purpose would be considered self harm

Uranus
April 3rd, 2015, 09:22 AM
If you're scratching yourself for no reason, intending to harm yourself and damage your skin and cause possible bleeding, then yes.

Vermilion
April 3rd, 2015, 09:31 AM
I'd say yes scratching is self harm or anything you do to your body to cause pain and get relief. I've found scratches easier to hid and they fade quite quickly for me.

Abhorrence
April 3rd, 2015, 09:57 AM
Self-harm is often only considering cutting but there's loads of forms. Intentional overdosing is self-harm, scratching is self-harm, hitting/bruising is self-harm, burning yourself is self-harm. Anything that you do to cause pain to yourself intentionally is self-harm.

Dying Ember
April 3rd, 2015, 10:11 AM
Scratching is also a form of self harm, if you're purposely causing harm to yourself in any way then its self harm. Although, a lot of the time scratching can become/eventually lead to cutting when the scratches no longer feel 'relieving'
Sorry that was really badly worded :/

Meh Guy
April 3rd, 2015, 03:20 PM
I think I saw a post about this a few months back and I can't remember what people said about it. I guess it can be considered that because if you keep scratching you can bleed and it will hurt. But it's not any better than burning/cutting

Luminous
April 3rd, 2015, 03:22 PM
Yes, any act of hurting yourself on purpose is self harm. I scratched for several months before I started cutting. Scratching, biting your tongue, and less harmful things like that are kind of 'gateways' that are very likely to lead to more dangerous forms of self harm. I urge you to try and stop before it gets worse. I wish I had.

NickTheStar
April 3rd, 2015, 05:07 PM
Yeah that's self harm. I burned myself. I've even heard on a dude at school that punctures himself with needles.

xXoblivionXx
April 3rd, 2015, 05:40 PM
I urge you to try and stop before it gets worse. I wish I had.

it's a little too late for that. I've started cutting when I was 14, I stopped for a year but then relapsed. I'm trying to stop but I'm sure you know how it is.

Kaiger31
April 4th, 2015, 04:42 PM
Scratching might be a less physically damaging form of self-injury, but it's still hurting yourself on purpose, which isn't healthy. It might lose its effect after a while and require more serious damage to achieve the same feeling. That's how I got started. It was a minor thing that became progressively more and more serious.

MadManic
April 7th, 2015, 06:26 PM
He's exactly right. Any form of harm to yourself is considered self-harm and it shouldn't be minimized just because you don't view it as quite extreme as other cases. self-harm is NOT comparable and is NOT a competition. ANY form (an as he mentioned there are plenty) is bad.

DarlingDoll
April 10th, 2015, 11:30 PM
its definitely hurting yourself. personally, i do it when i don't have time to deal with a lot of blood but some hold it as their sole coping method. pain is pain, no matter the form

Babs
April 11th, 2015, 12:21 AM
Intentionally harming yourself in anyway is self-harm, hence the name. It doesn't matter the form or severity.

jenni31
April 29th, 2015, 03:34 AM
yes scratching yourself is a form of self harm because I have done that many times when I find myself in a very stressful situation that I cannot get out of and a scratch and make sure I bleed so yes it is

mayorofveridia
May 20th, 2015, 10:50 PM
yes, scratching yourself with the intent to cause harm is self harm

Microcosm
May 21st, 2015, 12:26 AM
Pretty much everyone has already said it. Yes, it is, by definition, self-harm. Whether you would consider it similar to some of the extents to which some people self-harm such as cutting or burning is another story.

goahead
July 23rd, 2015, 05:18 PM
I call myself a self-harmer. What I do is pick at my skin. All over. I pick at my chest, face, back, legs, arms, shoulders, everything.

Babs
July 23rd, 2015, 10:54 PM
Do not bump threads that have been inactive for over two months. :locked: