PDA

View Full Version : Gaskets and seals.

CosmicNoodle
March 31st, 2015, 07:31 PM
Right, long story short my motorcycle engine needs a rebuild. The timing chain has worn out and is in danger of slipping off, and on a bike engine you can't just slip off a belt and slid on a new one as you can in a car, you basically need to take 70% of the engine apart. Well done Yamaha, nicely designed.

Basically I need to know where I can easily find a set of Gaskets and seals, I used to go to my local bike shop (demon tweaks) and order them on next day delivery through them, but since they no longer provide this service I need to find out where I can get them from. I was looking at Ebay, but their is only 1 seller who provides a rebuild kit for my engine, and he wants ridiculous money for it. Plus its "unopened old stock" stock so the rubber has been sitting for maybe up to 7 or 8 years and I don't trust that.

I just need to know is anyone knows of a website that will sell motorcycle engine rebuild kits. I wanna get her rebuilt and running asap, seeing her mothballed is killing me inside.

ImCoolBeans
April 1st, 2015, 04:23 AM
I don't really know anything about motorcycles/bikes, or where to get parts for them, but maybe your local shop has some insight as to where else you could get the parts, since they don't have them? It's worth a shot at least

Plane And Simple
April 1st, 2015, 04:34 AM
Just a quick tip, you'll be much better off by finding each part separately, than getting a whole rebuild kit. Ask your local Yamaha dealer for a price just to see what they do and do not recommend changing, and go from there to get all the parts

CosmicNoodle
April 1st, 2015, 11:32 AM
Just a quick tip, you'll be much better off by finding each part separately, than getting a whole rebuild kit. Ask your local Yamaha dealer for a price just to see what they do and do not recommend changing, and go from there to get all the parts

My local Yamaha dealer...that's 75 miles away....and wants 80 for something worth 20...nope.

I need a hole rebuild kit, I'm gonan be looking at the trans and shift linkages and shiz, I'm basically taking the hole engine apart, I need ever single seal and gasket there is for this engine. So a holoe kit is much easier.

Plane And Simple
April 1st, 2015, 12:11 PM
My local Yamaha dealer...that's 75 miles away....and wants 80 for something worth 20...nope.

I need a hole rebuild kit, I'm gonan be looking at the trans and shift linkages and shiz, I'm basically taking the hole engine apart, I need ever single seal and gasket there is for this engine. So a holoe kit is much easier.

Well good luck finding it lol. I can't help you unless you were here

mrmee
April 7th, 2015, 09:55 PM
At this point it might be easier and less stressful to just get a new engine for it. It gets to a point where it needs completely rebuilt, it won't be long until you start finding other issues.

CosmicNoodle
April 7th, 2015, 09:59 PM
At this point it might be easier and less stressful to just get a new engine for it. It gets to a point where it needs completely rebuilt, it won't be long until you start finding other issues.

I'm not sure you read the post, or understand how a motorcycle engine works.

What your saying, is like saying that needing to replace a fan belt on an engine is a sign to replace the hole engine. It's litterally what your saying. That's all I'm doing, replacing a belt/chain. A part that's designed to last about this long. The engines not fucked, I just need to replace a belt/chain. It's not like it's eating bearings or ripping itself appart, it just needs a new chain. Replacing a hole engine for the sake of a timing chain is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard, like building a new house because a light bulb blew in the old one.

mrmee
April 7th, 2015, 10:13 PM
I'm not sure you read the post, or understand how a motorcycle engine works.

What your saying, is like saying that needing to replace a fan belt on an engine is a sign to replace the hole engine. It's litterally what your saying. That's all I'm doing, replacing a belt/chain. A part that's designed to last about this long. The engines not fucked, I just need to replace a belt/chain. It's not like it's eating bearings or ripping itself appart, it just needs a new chain. Replacing a hole engine for the sake of a timing chain is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard, like building a new house because a light bulb blew in the old one.

Well replacing every gasket and seal like mentioned above is fairly different from just a timing belt. You made it sound like you have to replace the entire electrical system throughout the entire house, at which point wiil be 3/4 tore apart replacing. At which point most other materials the house is made of also need replaced sometime soon minus the frame, and it would be better to just replace it.

CosmicNoodle
April 7th, 2015, 10:17 PM
Well replacing every gasket and seal like mentioned above is fairly different from just a timing belt. You made it sound like you have to replace the entire electrical system throughout the entire house, at which point wiil be 3/4 tore apart replacing. At which point most other materials the house is made of also need replaced sometime soon minus the frame, and it would be better to just replace it.

YOU ARE TELLING ME TO SPEND 500+ INSTEAD OF REPLACING A 9.99 PART! Think about your logic, 5 hours and about 30 of parts and seals, or 500 and wasting a perfectly good, still running engine.

And let's not mention all the legal stuff required in an engine swap, such as notifying of new engine number, having it verified, informing various insurance companys and governing bodys.

I am not getting a hole new engine toi replace a 9.99 part. That's stupid.