PDA

View Full Version : New Ford Car Automatically Obeys Speed Limits

Abyssal Echo
March 28th, 2015, 06:45 PM
Ford says it has the answer for speed demons who can't keep their gas pedals off the metal: A car that reads speed limit signs and automatically slows down.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/03/25/technology/ford-speed-limit/index.html

Uranus
March 28th, 2015, 06:48 PM
Well, fuck you, Ford :D

SethfromMI
March 28th, 2015, 07:31 PM
I could see some different situations where it might cause some problems, but, at the same time, it is an interesting safety feature. I could just see some different things going wrong, but whatever , I ma a Chevy guy

Mil1dreded
March 29th, 2015, 02:55 PM
Would take all the fun out of driving

Plane And Simple
March 29th, 2015, 03:53 PM
This will suck when you're doing 120kmh in the highway as per the speed limit and someone, for some reason, is about to read end you, yet you can't speed away because of this "feature" nor avoid him because the other lanes are busy...

Emerald Dream
March 29th, 2015, 04:29 PM
If you actually read the article, instead of immediately reacting - it clearly says it's overridden by pressing on the accelerator.

Not a foolproof idea, but not a bad one either. It works both ways.

Gumleaf
March 29th, 2015, 04:44 PM
It wouldn't work for me, I'd just put my foot down anyways. I'm a serial speeder.

SethfromMI
March 29th, 2015, 04:59 PM
This will suck when you're doing 120kmh in the highway as per the speed limit and someone, for some reason, is about to read end you, yet you can't speed away because of this "feature" nor avoid him because the other lanes are busy...

that's the type of thing I am talking about. I could see such a feature causing accidents. I don't know if it would be more than if people can drive however fast as they want to, but I would see it causing some accidents

Horatio Nelson
March 29th, 2015, 04:59 PM
Sweet! It's like self adjusting cruise control, I'm all for it.

Emerald Dream
March 29th, 2015, 05:04 PM
Sweet! It's like self adjusting cruise control, I'm all for it.

Yeah, it's just a form of cruise control.

Wow, people not even reading the article before they comment. It says it right on there.

CosmicNoodle
March 31st, 2015, 07:03 PM
Simple, new ECU and I don't have to deal with this, even if I can over ride it, it's a pain in the dick. I've never liked cruise controll, or any sort of electronic driving/riding aid.

jordanhardy
March 31st, 2015, 07:06 PM
I can just imagine Ford adding that safety feature to their next Mustang...

Cognizant
April 2nd, 2015, 12:32 AM
I can understand laser guided cruise control, but I think this is pointless.
(and yes, I read the article. I still think it's pointless.)

BlackParadePixie
April 4th, 2015, 01:12 AM
Oh man, how boring! Looks like Ford wants to go out of business!

NickTheStar
April 4th, 2015, 01:28 AM
Bad idea kys ford

Straya
April 6th, 2015, 03:00 AM
Ford says it has the answer for speed demons who can't keep their gas pedals off the metal: A car that reads speed limit signs and automatically slows down.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/03/25/technology/ford-speed-limit/index.html

this car will not sell in australia

Uranus
April 6th, 2015, 03:31 AM
After reading the article, my attitude stays the same. Honestly Ford just wasted their money for something completely stupid. If it's designed to keep people from speeding, this is not what's going to stop them. By simply pushing down on the accelerator you can override it. How stupid. Advanced cruise control, my ass. They wasted good money on something that's completely pointless. This feature would honestly piss me off. It's not going to stop people from speeding in any way, shape, or form. Hiring better police officers is what will stop people from speeding. Not $1K's of dollars worth on a pointless advanced cruise control system which is barely advanced. Honestly, how hard it is to adjust your cruise? And if people who do speed were smart enough, they'd avoid any car with this POS feature.
Also I might add, apparently there is no way to shut this off. Which will be completely stupid. Especially when you're in heavy traffic and it's trying to get to 45Mph, and you're stuck going 25/Mph behind a little old lady. With it trying to stay at speed, you'll be wearing your brake pads out. Honestly, there are so many issues with this entire system. And I can already see people who are going to regret ever getting thism

riverboy
April 6th, 2015, 12:18 PM
I get a couple things from the article. One is it can be over ride and it's a step in a self driving car. You know if this car does make the market, someone will sell something to turn the anti speeding device off.

mrmee
April 7th, 2015, 09:51 PM
Seems to me like just another plastic hunk of junk to try cramming into an already overstuffed engine bay.

Daniella98
April 9th, 2015, 04:37 AM
Only people who obey the speed limits by them selves buys an annoying car like that.
Speeking of annoying: Nervous people in traffic who doesnt know what to do when or how. And who reveses at approximately 0.00003 mph.
I dont have a drivers licence yet. Not old enough, but I can certainly drive.
Im not saying "fuck of if your dont maintain 130 mph at all times" but we see more and more electronic helpers installed in cars. Helping people to park cause they cant judge their cars size for instance.

How do they know when or when they are not crushing children or cyclists in traffic.

They should learn how to F...ING drive. Cause they are not only responsible for them selves and the passengers who dares enter their car. They are responsible for all who they come close to in traffic (still trying to remember which pedal does what)

ImCoolBeans
April 9th, 2015, 06:30 AM
If it can be overridden by the driver I don't think it will actually be very effective. I don't really like the idea of cars automatically doing things -- this makes me think of the automatic parallel park feature that some new cars have -- too robotic for my liking. But I guess I'm old fashioned.