PDA

View Full Version : Is this ADD?

This is my username
March 17th, 2015, 07:13 PM
I have no trouble concentrating on interesting things, but anything I don't like doing, especially if it's boring i.e. a school subject I don't like, I sometimes just CAN'T concentrate. I really want to, I try, I promise myself I'll get it done, and 20 seconds later I'm doing something else without realizing I just broke my promise to myself. This is especially prevalent in school (I go to an online school at home.) When doing a subject I don't like, I just can't concentrate and start going on online games or something. However, I don't need an outside distraction to get distracted; I could be in a room with bland walls, floor and ceiling and only my textbook and still get distracted (this has actually happened.) It's mostly with school, but it happens with other things as well. When I'm reading out loud, every time I get distracted by my thoughts. I've grown capable of reading out loud without even noticing while I'm lost in my thoughts, so nobody notices, but when I get back to reality I know I've been doing it. When somebody is speaking to me, I either listen or I don't; when I don't, I don't even notice somebody is talking to me until they say my name, which always brings me back to earth. The same thing happens when I'm reading a story to myself; I get lost in the book (or sometimes lost in my thoughts with the book open in my lap) I don't hear anything happening around me until someone says my name. It's easy to deal with when I don't hear someone talking or don't realize I'm lost in thoughts while reading aloud, but it's very frustrating at school. Now, I'm trying to think of any other situations that happen that may mean ADD. No, I don't think there is anything else. So, does all this mean I have ADD, or is it just my overactive imagination that's always trying to diagnose myself with things?

Kacchon
March 17th, 2015, 07:21 PM
As someone with ADD this does sound quite familiar. I wouldn't go so far to self-diagnose quite yet, but maybe ask someone who might know more about it and can help. Also, if you want, try getting some caffeine in your diet, maybe like a morning coffee/tea routine. That usually helps me focus much better on things.

tinybird
March 31st, 2015, 07:50 PM
yep, you pretty much just explained what add is like!

This is my username
April 13th, 2015, 11:55 AM
I'm starting to think that it is, in fact, my imagination. I don't tell anybody when I'm worried I have a disorder/illness but I have a long history with myself of diagnosing myself with many different things. I've also thought I had Diabetes and a few other things, and I get sort of obsessed with my symptoms so I can't see the evidence that I don't have [insert illness here]. This probably makes me sound crazy but really, I'm fine, I'm healthy, and if I really put my mind to it, I can concentrate. Maybe I do have a REALLY hard time with it, but I'm pretty sure it's not ADD. It's just plain old having trouble concentrating.

Ridonks_CB
April 13th, 2015, 05:53 PM
I have the same issues, and with me it's due to my lack of sleep. Don't try to self-diagnose yourself for anything because it could go wrong what with all the similarities within issues out there.

SethfromMI
April 13th, 2015, 06:43 PM
it could be, but you are going to need a professional to diagnose it and even they sometimes can get it wrong

Ridonks_CB
April 13th, 2015, 09:31 PM
it could be, but you are going to need a professional to diagnose it and even they sometimes can get it wrong

True. ADD/ADHD and Autism are two of the most miscommon diagnoses.

SethfromMI
April 14th, 2015, 09:57 PM
True. ADD/ADHD and Autism are two of the most miscommon diagnoses.

absolutely. which is why many do not even want to have to be the one to diagnose it